What's The Tips/Strategies For Nurses?

D-A-C

Hi guys.

I have been shuffling through the boards old posts because I haven't been here in a while.

I am noticing, that in the 2E there is an awful lot of positive responses towards Nurses, not just for McMourning, but also for Masters such as Seamus.

I was just curious if any of you could share some of your tips, strategies, because atm I am not seeing Shennanigens with them just by looking at their stat cards.

The only way I can see using them to Heal, would be to take Chiaki to remove the Paralyzed Condition, but that is costing you an extra 6ss.

What am I missing here guys, what are the Nurses doing for you?

You need to look for situations where the positive is not really a positive or the negative is not really a negative

EG...

• :-fate on all duels & +2 Armor is amazing on the enemy when you are attacking with models that either are not doing direct damage or like McMourning who ignore armor.
  • Fully healing an enemy model to give them paralyze when they haven't lost any health.
  • Giving a model which you have obeyed/fresh meat into position +2 damage on melee, as they are only going to want to attack not move.
  • Giving a model that you are not planning to attack with +2 Wk so it can get to an objective it wants to interact with.
  • Like 1

They throw out +4 poison, sit one next to McMourning or the Chihuahua and you could potentially do 8dmg per turn.

Got a big monster you want out of the running?

Drop a crow to Paralyze him, or drop a Ram so he can't walk towards you (If he's not in melee range) or drop a Mask and he can only walk. All of these stop their big hitter from doing any big hitting for a turn. And because you're a Resser and don't have much use for Rams or Masks, you've often have a nice card in your hand to set one of these off.

I think that the temptation (due to our perceived view of them) it's tempting to consider them supporting and healing models, but their real benefit for me is in their non-damaging offensive capabilities. Saying that, you can walk one up behind a Flesh Construct or some Guild Autopsies and have her keep whacking poison on them to keep their wounds topped up too. Just keep her safe from direct attacks and you'd be amazed how little effort an enemy will make to kill them, due to the aforementioned view of them being harmless.

I just wish I'd played M1E and got to use their Harmless ability. Just being able to walk them around the board with no fear of reprisal, it would be awesome.

Hm? It would continue to the next turn, unless you mean at the last turn?

If you become paralyzed during your current activation (usually from failing a horror check), all it does is end your activation. 

Thus, if Zoraida obeys a nurse to heal her, it heals her and ends her current activation...which is usually not a big deal if it was her last AP.

Also remember, there's some schemes where you don't want a model to die but do want stop it from doing anything (ie Take Prisoner, Frame for Murder (if the opponent stuck it on an annoying model), sometimes Distract, etc.)

Just never use them against Jack Daw. I learned the hard way. Jack Daw repeatedly used McMourning's Nurse to lock him down since his Avatar only protects conditions given by the enemy models. I had to murder my own Nurse just so I could move McMourning.

• Like 1

If you become paralyzed during your current activation (usually from failing a horror check), all it does is end your activation. 

Thus, if Zoraida obeys a nurse to heal her, it heals her and ends her current activation...which is usually not a big deal if it was her last AP.

Oh right. Morning brain.

Just never use them against Jack Daw. I learned the hard way. Jack Daw repeatedly used McMourning's Nurse to lock him down since his Avatar only protects conditions given by the enemy models. I had to murder my own Nurse just so I could move McMourning.

Jack shouldn't have been able to do much with the nurse's meds.  Twist and Turn and Feel Their Torment both specify that the action taken cannot declare triggers, and all of the med's effects are triggers.  Unless I am missing some other "obey-like" action Jack Daw has...

Jack shouldn't have been able to do much with the nurse's meds.  Twist and Turn and Feel Their Torment both specify that the action taken cannot declare triggers, and all of the med's effects are triggers.  Unless I am missing some other "obey-like" action Jack Daw has...

Apparently, we both didn't read the Upgrade close enough. Thanks for the info.

Apparently, we both didn't read the Upgrade close enough. Thanks for the info.

The confusion comes from take your meds requiring the action to declare a Trigger. Daw can in fact use the triggers, since "may not" is less specific than "must".

FAQ clarifies this. He cannot take the triggers, action is a waste.

The confusion comes from take your meds requiring the action to declare a Trigger. Daw can in fact use the triggers, since "may not" is less specific than "must".

If I'm not wrong the Nurses ability says that it must declare a trigger if possible. 

If Daw says she may not use a trigger then it is not possible. 

Generally speaking most game systems use the rule can't overrides can. 

I am curious what makes must more specific than may not in your eyes. 

Most Often the nurse must declare a trigger, rarely she is "obeyed" by Jack. The second situation seems more specific imo. 

If I'm not wrong the Nurses ability says that it must declare a trigger if possible. 

If Daw says she may not use a trigger then it is not possible. 

Generally speaking most game systems use the rule can't overrides can. 

I am curious what makes must more specific than may not in your eyes. 

Most Often the nurse must declare a trigger, rarely she is "obeyed" by Jack. The second situation seems more specific imo. 

This is exactly what I looked for, but it does not say so on the Nurse's card which is why I stand by my statement. It just says "This Action must declare a trigger", must is pretty specific.

As far as specificity... you are taking a 1 action (with Jack Daw) that is less specific (lets you choose something out of laundry list of actions) to do a specific action (take your meds in this case). Also, as far as English is concerned "may not" is not final, where as "must" is. Now you can take this wikipedia reference for modals for what you want, but the last two paragraphs of may not are explained (also look at must). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_modal_verbs#May_and_might

FAQ clarifies this.