How to deal with McMourning?

CapnBloodbeard

So, one of the masters that's left me the most stumped to deal with has been McMourning.  His bubble is just too potent - he hits like a brisk, but it just seems that the moment any model of mine gets anywhere near one of his models, they just end up with Poison + 86, and McMourning seems to heal like it's going out of fashion.  

I was playing Headhunter against him with Tara, I just figured 'to hell with the strategy, I'm staying as far away from all of them as I can!!'  I've only dealt with him twice and staying away has worked well - the first time it was a pack of guild hounds that caused the big problem, while the second time I drew, but I just haven't really had much idea how to deal with him - couldn't really pick off the minions being in the bubble, and healing makes it hard to pick off from afar.

I have Schill, Tara, Viks, Levi, Misaki.  

I find Von Schill does a decent job against him.  You have huge threat range with VS and Strongarm Suit to charge in and murder him . And their high Willpower makes it easier to defend against his Posion stuff. Likewise, having the steam trunk can remove the posion.  And Ashes and Dust is immune and hits like a truck that is on steroids.

1 hour ago, Davos said:

I find Von Schill does a decent job against him.  You have huge threat range with VS and Strongarm Suit to charge in and murder him . And their high Willpower makes it easier to defend against his Posion stuff. Likewise, having the steam trunk can remove the posion.  And Ashes and Dust is immune and hits like a truck that is on steroids.

"Typical" McM crew actually attacks your df almost to a fault.

___

(Resser) McM's weak spot is that if he wants to do anything offensive towards you, he needs to be within a reasonable counter-charge distance. He's got a lot of wounds, hard to wound and some built-in healing. But he also has rubbish stats for someone who's very often a frontline master. Anything that deals high min damage or nasty conditions hurts him. In my games, win or lose, McM rarely lives to see the end.

Beyond that, just play smart. Don't give him easy flesh construct targets. Don't bunch up and enable massed Rancid Transplanting.

27 minutes ago, Kinginyello said:

Its going to come down to ashes and dust.

He hits hard and mcmourning theme heavy will have problems as no tricks of poison will work.

Hamlins solid but rats are easy to kill and get flesh constructs out of. Also dogs off the rats if they activate near sebastion without auto turning into rat king.

McMourning can only turn living and undead models into flesh constructs or canine remains. Rats are neither.

40 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

Skin Graft: Other models within aura3 of this model gain the undead characteristic.

I think they were talkign about "road kill scholar", but that only needs them to be living or undead so, Skin graft and Road kill schoolar does let you turn rats into dogs. 

• Like 2

I'm usually the douglas side of this argument. A lot of outcast models have armor and/or htk which won't really matter to doug, if you think its likely you will face him don't rely on that sort of thing. Jack Daw can very easily curse him which is a major nuisance and models like montresor, the hanged etc cause horror duels he really doesn't like and the hanged can turn off his healing. Von Schill's steam trunk can help you ditch some of that poison and when Von Schill rips his shirt off to heal Douglas will get some real pain in his hand, he will likely have to cheat quite a lot he  doesn't bring many good wp models.

Regardless of who you bring your first priority should be to kill or isolate sebastian, his aura makes poison go from some painful damage to a death sentence. Levi, the Viks, Misaki or VS should be able to pull this part off with ease unless your opponent hangs him back where his aura wont get you.