RasputIna List Building

Whut

Rasputina. I'd like to play her like Sonnia, just take her to give your opponent headaches and then build the rest of your crew specifically for the schemes. But sadly Raspy needs/wants support too much to be able to do that. For movement she wants Snowstorm (or the Captain?), for damage she and her crew need 2-3 Ice Gamin (in case one dies) and personally I can't imagine not taking Arcane Effigy for that extra burning damage on blasts. You want Wendigo because that 3 point minion is crazy. All of that (2 gamin and Snowy for this calculation) totals to 31 soulstones (assuming 5 points of upgrades) leaving 19 for more stuff. Mech Rider, Myranda/Blessed, December Acolytes, Silent Ones/Ice Dancer, are all 12/9/7/6 soulstones, so if you want a moderate pool of 4 or 5 (and Raspy does for Overpower) you are basically restricted to taking one or two of these. That's not a lot of variety/flexibility. How do you build your lists? Are you ever afraid of getting a model killed and losing an important chain in the Frozen Heart synergy?

I even built a list before and got tons of positive feedback on it, and I knew it was strong, and yet I always feel spread too thin anyway. Maybe because I'm so used to playing lists with summoning (Ramos, Colette, Nicodem, Mech Rider) I feel this way? I like being able to replace activations (when one dies, I summon another) and I hate having this feeling of death being a permanent loss of resources.

my standard 50pts for raspy that has done me well in tourneys is:

Rasputina (SS pool of 4)

-armour of december

-child of december

-seize the day 

Wendigo

Snow Storm

Ice Golem

2 x December Acolytes

2 x Ice Gamin

the list has some maneuverability, plety of ranged hitting power and some up close. 

If I get overpower its all good, usually thats done with cheated cards rather than soulstones though unless I really need it for a big target.

armour of december is always useful for moving away from those melee beasts and child of december gives you a useful ranged 0 (as freeze over is easy) that also protects you from your guys blowing up in your face

I'm considering picking up Raspy as my next Master. I've already kind of accidentally ended up with a Snowstorm, 2 Silent Ones and 3 Acolytes. Really all I need is the Raspy box and I'll be good to go. What sort of things do you guys consider staples or must haves in the crew? I've seen a lot of people mention the Essence of Power with her as an alternative to the Wendigo. I generally tend to prefer a thematic crew but I do stray from the path from time to time so other than the Mech Rider, Arcane Effigy etc what are the other non-thematic options for Raspy that have worked for you guys? A Hoarcat Pride or two seems like it might be a nice addition. 

my standard 50pts for raspy that has done me well in tourneys is:

Rasputina (SS pool of 4)

-armour of december

-child of december

-seize the day

Wendigo

Snow Storm

Ice Golem

2 x December Acolytes

2 x Ice Gamin

the list has some maneuverability, plety of ranged hitting power and some up close.

If I get overpower its all good, usually thats done with cheated cards rather than soulstones though unless I really need it for a big target.

armour of december is always useful for moving away from those melee beasts and child of december gives you a useful ranged 0 (as freeze over is easy) that also protects you from your guys blowing up in your face

Child of December over cold nights? Never something I'd do personally its just too good at area control and movement denial which helps balance out the slow speed of the cult of December.

Especially with the Wendigo to copy the spell meaning you can place 4 Ht 5, blocking, impassible markers for the measly cost of any 4 and 7!!

well you could take cold nights over seize the day if you want but I do like my bearskin armour and the chance to hit a master for 9 damage (if carrying 3 upgrades). even just the base shatter is nice for lining up a wendigo feast using a low crow from your hand.

I do tend to use my 1 actions doing damage rather than blocking LOS i guess though

It's not just for blocking LoS, if there's a natural choke point of impassable terrain and your opponent deploys behind it, just pull Raspy or the Wendigo up, activate them, and throw down an ice pillar. Suddenly everything without leap or flight has to waste tons (and I do mean TONS) of AP walking all the way around whatever tree, wall, or building is blocking them. By the time turn 2 hits, you have moderate control over the center of the board and he's still scrambling to get out of his deployment zone.

• Like 1

Shortly before going after Tara I had a glimpse of weakness and for short time I was eager to sell Viks and buy Rasputina. Thankfully this nasty temptation is gone now, but Rasputina would be my choice together with Snowstorm, December Acolytes and Silent One.

I'm currently wondering if the answer is psychological, and if the answer isn't just to bite the icy bullet and design a list without the Ice Golem. 

The theory goes that he soaks up a lot of points, needs upgrades or a supporting Metal Gamin and only really has a couple of (admittedly very good) tricks. 

And so, once he starts tossing around the Ice Gamin, they too seem to become inherently (psychologically..?) expendable models who's gameplan involves not making it to turn 5, so all of a sudden you look at your 7-8 model starting pool and at least 3 or so of them are looking like walking deadmen before you start. Which leaves a lot for the rest of them to do. 

Roll on Wave 2 Snowstorm ! 

I'm not fond of the Ice Golem at all. All of his rules are quite contradictory. He's super slow, and throwing gamin make him slower. He wants to be super tanky with Armor 2, but his defense is SO painfully low that he can be chipped to death by very low cost models, or torn to shreds by anything with a high severe damage unless you have a metal gamin tagging along. But if you do that, his movement is even more restricted! Or you can take a 2 point upgrade, making him more expensive, to raise his Defense to a measly 4, and preventing him from taking Imbued Energies for a chance to move and slam, or move and charge.

To each his own, but I'll just take Joss.

technically I am at a huge disadventage, ikirio dropping kirai or my acolytes/raspy is going to suck. Acolytes seem to be able to hold their own at 8 wounds and the fact they benefit from gamin +1 dmg so it bumps their shooting/melee significanly. I can still heal them with the silent one so It will force my opponent to focus one down instead of spreading the dmg freely.

My hope with the list is to create as much card denial as possible. Many nasty triggers + acolyt card drop + burning card drop from effigy.

First time running raspy myself and playing veteran kirai player with 30+ games under his nose with her

I'm not fond of the Ice Golem at all. All of his rules are quite contradictory. He's super slow, and throwing gamin make him slower. He wants to be super tanky with Armor 2, but his defense is SO painfully low that he can be chipped to death by very low cost models, or torn to shreds by anything with a high severe damage unless you have a metal gamin tagging along. But if you do that, his movement is even more restricted! Or you can take a 2 point upgrade, making him more expensive, to raise his Defense to a measly 4, and preventing him from taking Imbued Energies for a chance to move and slam, or move and charge.

To each his own, but I'll just take Joss.

I surprised myself and tried him tonight with Armour of December. That gives him a potential move of 11 + one attack at the end of it, armour 3 every turn and with an engagement range of 2 its a threat range of 13. 

Its 11 points but it intimidated the c--p out of my opponent - being able to push 3" and reach another 1" into a mega-smash attack was pretty painful for their 12-wound master. 

I surprised myself and tried him tonight with Armour of December. That gives him a potential move of 11 + one attack at the end of it, armour 3 every turn and with an engagement range of 2 its a threat range of 13. 

Its 11 points but it intimidated the c--p out of my opponent - being able to push 3" and reach another 1" into a mega-smash attack was pretty painful for their 12-wound master. 

Guarded Advance is a (1) Action, are you thinking it's a (0)? I can't see how this works.

That is the very definition of slow in my mind. Also, what does his min damage has to do with his speed?

If I have 1 SS to spare I would always take Imbued Energies over Armour of December on the Ice Golem. It gives you the option to actually go a little faster on one turn, alternatively punch a little extra.

Yea he's painfully slow. Joss is a teeny bit slow too but at least he is Wk5 and can shoot if he has nothing better to do, and isn't pressured to waste his walk actions tossing gamin.

Honestly if the golem was Df4 by default I would give him a try, but Imbued Protection just isn't worth it for his only upgrade slot IMO.

Agreed about the ice golem, he works way better with levy then Rasputin.

December Acolytes proved to be the most disturbing OP model in the game i played, 3/5/7 sh6 dmg track is bonkers together with auto slow and auto card drop. Made it so rewarding to shoot anything/everything and watch my opponent bleed cards, then have no cards to prevent burning from arcane effigy/Rasputin combo