Hoffman Power Loop clarification

Tuttleboy

Question

Originally posted in Guild forums:

Power loop says "At the start of a duel, this model may use the printed numerical DF, WP, CA, SH, or ML (ignoring suits) from another friendly model with Power Lopp instead of it's own."

So my question would be- if I power loop in something with a high casting, and use it's printed casting... Does that mean I get to use his casting with no suits at all? Or do I get to use his casting with my inherent suit? 

I think that Power Loop lets Hoffman, or another PL use the printed number from another friendly model and keep the suit on his own card. For example if he Power Loops with Guardian he can borrow the Df from Guardian and be at Df 6 :tomes.

And also as futureproofing. If it transferred suits they would have to basically never give suits on those stats to any Guild or Arcanist construct, becuase they could theoretically  give that to any other Guild or Arcanist construct and cause issues. 

Like, say, giving the Rail Golem a free tome on Ca and enabling super-Locomotions. 

I disagree. You use the Numeric value. you get what ever suits you flip/ burn SS for.

"At the start of a duel, this model may use the printed numerical DF, WP, CA, SH, or ML (ignoring suits) from another friendly model with Power Loop instead of it's own."

You are using that Stat from the borrowed model. you are not using that Stat plus The Stat on the model(which in hoffman's case includes a suit.) 

The last part of the sentence is the key. you use it instead of its own. You no longer use 3 :tomes you use in this scenario the guardians 6 nothing.

? if he is using his DF 3 :tomes their is no question he is using his own stat. the question was whether or not he keeps his suit when using another models Stat

Which i Say a firm no. You are no longer using Df 3:tomes you are using DF 6 nothing

power loop states use the Numeric value. does not say use the numeric value and the suits you have already.

? if he is using his DF 3 :tomes their is no question he is using his own stat. the question was whether or not he keeps his suit when using another models Stat

Which i Say a firm no. You are no longer using Df 3:tomes you are using DF 6 nothing

power loop states use the Numeric value. does not say use the numeric value and the suits you have already.

The difference between the two sides comes down to the interpretation of "ignoring suits". One side believes that means Power Loop itself ignores suits, leaving them wherever they are and only affecting the number used. In this case Hoffman would retain his own tome and use the number from his Power Looped friend.

The other things that it means HOFFMAN ignores suits while using Power Loop, and that the suits thus are simply discarded, and he can use neither his own tome nor any suit that may be on the friend. 

Both of these interpretations are consistent with both the english and game definitions of all the words involved, thus I think it needs to be FAQd. 

• Like 1

I agree that it could easily be taken either way, to the point where I'm actually arguing internally with myself about it right now...

Simple to clarify this one in the FAQ.

Makes me wonder how most people played it through the Beta as that wording had not changed for quite a few updates?

For what its worth, our group has played that you keep your own suits and use the higher number. 

the people who were making assumptions must have all played with people making the same assumptions. it happens.

Personally, I beleive that if you are using the other models stat, then you lose all of your own stat, including suit, for the duration of the action. but that could just be carry over from first edition, where it did work that way.

I think our Hoffman player plays it so that he takes the value of another model but keeps the suit? Not sure about that, maybe he will drop in and correct me if I'm wrong.

But I agree, this seems a bit confusing and could probably do with a FAQ.

Indeed I do. I was also aware of the problem presented here, but decided to ignore it. If the FAQ tells that I have been playing wrong, I will have to apologize to zFiend and wait for avatars before playing Hoffman again...
  • Like 1

Reading it, I would say you take the numerical number from the target, and ignore any in built suits on said target, but retain your own suit, just replacing the number. Same goes for fellow construct target if they Power Loop Hoffman. They get his stat number, ignore any in built suits on said numbers, and retain their own in built suits. That's how I'd interpret/play it anyway. 

The difference between the two sides comes down to the interpretation of "ignoring suits". One side believes that means Power Loop itself ignores suits, leaving them wherever they are and only affecting the number used. In this case Hoffman would retain his own tome and use the number from his Power Looped friend.

The other things that it means HOFFMAN ignores suits while using Power Loop, and that the suits thus are simply discarded, and he can use neither his own tome nor any suit that may be on the friend. 

Both of these interpretations are consistent with both the english and game definitions of all the words involved, thus I think it needs to be FAQd. 

I completely agree with you, it needs an FAQ.

I would have to say that I would lean more to the first interpretation. It is the Power Loops rule definition, so i would that the Power Loop its self ignores the suits leaving any suits in place on the model they belong to. 

So when using Power Loop you take the value you wish to take and use the suit (if any) that the attacking/defending model has native to it. It works both with attack and defense.

The rule is designed to not give everything grinding halt and to not give attacking models like Howard Langston the auto trigger to Decapitate, not to stop a model from using its own suits

Considering the wording in Crossroads says to ignore suits, I think this is all cleared up. Beta cards are superseded.

The beta included the ignore suits part as well. The issue is which suits do you ignore, the ones that your borrowing (which is what is being talked about when the ignore suits part is used) or all suits during the entire transaction including your own?

How would you play it Aus?