Math Obliterates

Math Mathonwy

I hope to get this crew into playable condition before February - we shall see whether I succeed or not.

Started with a Void Wretch. I went for a purple-grey that highlight to light green. I'm thinking dark green for the claws with sharp highlights so that I can do Tara's blade in the same way. But what to do with the eyes?

2uenugz.jpg

I was at first thinking just black with maybe a white dot, but maybe I should choose something that would pop more since they are kinda the main detail? A blazing bright orange, perhaps?

Edit: hmm, maybe a bit big that pic. Well, at least you'll see the paintjob...

• 2 weeks later...

I did go with the bright orange and managed to finish the whole trio:

33blfh3.jpg

bim6fl.jpg

Rather happy with them. The pics are a bit rubbish (there's so little light here this time of year) but I'm delighted that I liked the blending best on the other two rather than the first one. And the eyes worked rather nicely. Not 100% sold on the claws - they look weirdly drybrushed for some unfathomable reason.

But yeah, next is the herald herself, Tara. Hopefully still this month.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the feedback, much appreciated!

love them, the paintjob is even more impressive when I can see the three of them together. Still, I'd probably add a touch of yellow and a tiny bit of white highlight to their eyes ;)

I actually did add a tiny bit of white to the bigger eyes (you just might be able to make it out in the last pic) but yeah, yellow would've been better. Might still try that, but the problem is that the smaller eyes are miniscule and I'm not sure whether I'd be able to add visible amounts of yellow while still retaining the orange.

• 1 year later...

And then there was Tara. I have had her painted to a certain level for ages but decided to finish her for the Ropecon tournament. Which was good since I won best painted with her in the lead. Hooray!

The pics came out somehow not very good despite that I usually get nice results from my light box. Not quite sure what I did wrong but here goes anyway.

21kz0v4.jpg

• Like 1

Great choice of colours Math. She looks so bleached out like she's only half there, very thematic.  

^^ This. Totally agree.

I like the color you have going on there for the boots....probably my favorite part. Though to be honest, I kinda wish the boot and tunic colors were reversed. The human eye is automatically drawn to warmer colors so as I look at her my vision keeps dropping down to her legs and I have to force myself to look back up. If her boots weren't so big then her face would probably be enough to balance it and pull your eye back to the center....but they're huge so they become dominant.

Not much you can do about that now. It's not enough to be unhappy with the model, I'd still happily put it on the table.....but it's a color theory thing to keep in mind for the future. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the kind words, everyone! Much appreciated!

Did you drill out the hole in her chest?  It does not look like it, but I would suggest doing so.  It enhances the look of the model a lot more in my opinion and it is absurdly easy to do.

I always thought it a bit gimmicky but you might be right. I'll look into it if I can find a drill bit that's the correct size.

^^ This. Totally agree.

I like the color you have going on there for the boots....probably my favorite part. Though to be honest, I kinda wish the boot and tunic colors were reversed. The human eye is automatically drawn to warmer colors so as I look at her my vision keeps dropping down to her legs and I have to force myself to look back up. If her boots weren't so big then her face would probably be enough to balance it and pull your eye back to the center....but they're huge so they become dominant.

Not much you can do about that now. It's not enough to be unhappy with the model, I'd still happily put it on the table.....but it's a color theory thing to keep in mind for the future.

You are totally correct. This mini is also all wrong in the dark-light -side of things as well in that it gets darker towards the upper parts which is completely the wrong way around. Neither has been done on purpose, mind - I'm just not very good at planning...

I always thought it a bit gimmicky but you might be right. I'll look into it if I can find a drill bit that's the correct size.

I don't view it as gimmicky, but I can see how someone might think that.  I think it is more of an obvious conversion than a gimmicky one.  You won't get major originality points for it, like with other interesting conversions.  Pretty much everyone is going to think of it.  I think of it more as drilling out barrels on guns on minis.  It is an obvious conversion and absurdly easy to do, but it does greatly enhance the end result despite how simple it is.

In her book artwork, where she is in pose for the nightmare box set, the hole is depicted as being quite large and the artist emphasizes that you can see through the hole to the other side.  I think the miniature is better when it duplicates that emphasis.  It also allows you to paint some fun gore effects on the inside of the hole.

I think your crew looks great, and you don't need to drill out the hole in her chest, but I stand by the opinion that it would improve the look of the model.