What is it like being a Henchman?

Matney X

I'm just curious -- I'm really new to Malifaux, but it's probably one of the best games/worlds I've come across in years. Unfortunately, my area (Salt Lake City, UT) is incredibly low on players, and since I'm already trying to convince people to give this game a chance, I might as well look into being a Henchman.

"Utah already has Henchmen," you say... that's true, but there's a 50 mile difference between my two closest ones, where I'm smack dab in the middle.

So, what is it like to be a Henchman? What does the "Monthly Malifaux Event" entail?

FIRST YOU MUST DAWN THE CEREMONIAL HOOD AND CHANT THE SACRED WORDS OVER THE BLOODSTONE

After that everything gets easier though. Just fill out an online application. You must have two fully painted box sets. The one event per month can range anything from a demo to a tournament. It's your choice and depends on your area. At first you may just run one demo a month but then upgrade to other events. And if you have to miss a month here or there, it's fine so long as you let someone know.

FIRST YOU MUST DAWN THE CEREMONIAL HOOD AND CHANT THE SACRED WORDS OVER THE BLOODSTONE

After that everything gets easier though. Just fill out an online application. You must have two fully painted box sets. The one event per month can range anything from a demo to a tournament. It's your choice and depends on your area. At first you may just run one demo a month but then upgrade to other events. And if you have to miss a month here or there, it's fine so long as you let someone know.

I was wondering what sort of support you get for growing the community. Is there prize support for running tournaments and things like that? Or is that stuff separate from henching.

Honestly, it's a ton of fun. If you're going to be promoting for the game, you definitely should sign up and join the rest of us crazies. *wink*

Definitely this.

It can be a bit challenging at first trying to build a community but if you're dedicated to the game then it's totally worth it.

I was wondering what sort of support you get for growing the community. Is there prize support for running tournaments and things like that? Or is that stuff separate from henching.

Henchmen are compensated with Wyrd product for running events. Many use their compensation as prize support.

Henchmen are compensated with Wyrd product for running events. Many use their compensation as prize support.

This is most common with the henchmen who have been around for a while. Henchman should feel free to grow their personal collection, of course. And there is are other perks as well.

Henchman who want to help out at Gen Con have, in years past (including this year), gotten an invite to our "after party." Which is a fancy way for saying "The Wyrd Bosses take us all to Hard Rock Cafe" and we get to hang, eat burgers, bang down some brews, and tell cool stories. It's a ton of fun.

Henchman who want to help out at Gen Con have, in years past (including this year), gotten an invite to our "after party." Which is a fancy way for saying "The Wyrd Bosses take us all to Hard Rock Cafe" and we get to hang, eat burgers, bang down some brews, and tell cool stories. It's a ton of fun.

Shut the front door! If I had known that I would have figured out how to scam my wife into letting me go long ago!

Speaking as a new Henchmen with M2E (started Henching a week before the Beta opened), I can say that it is quite fun. I demo in two different stores. It allows me to play a game that I really enjoy and bring other people into the game.

Shut the front door! If I had known that I would have figured out how to scam my wife into letting me go long ago!

No kidding, I want in on that also.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Henchmen also get minor celebrity status in your local gaming group. Our henchman even lives with one of the local gamer girls (ok ok, they were a couple before he became a henchman...)

That is one of the other things about be a henchmen, the ladies. :D

This is most common with the henchmen who have been around for a while. Henchman should feel free to grow their personal collection, of course. And there is are other perks as well.

Damn, wish I knew about that... but it was a 4-5 hour drive home so it's likely I wouldn't have made it anyways since we both worked the next day. Maybe next year I'll take Monday off!

+1 to the "ladies love the henchman" comments. I have had a similar experience...

granted my wife is also a henchman so maybe this doesn't count. Or maybe men love gamer girls who are also henchman? ... you know that's right. ;)

for me, doing the henchman thing has been great fun. I have met a ton of people, and several of them have now dusted off their long ignored Malifaux stuff since they know they have a place to use them. The edition change has not been nearly as rocky here in Indiana as some have seen in other places.

The monthly event is not hard to keep up with. We play at our store every other sunday (due to various work schedules for the group) and Rebeccajo and I switch off who runs the event for that week. this way, it works out to one a month for each of us. Then we cram as many other get togethers as we can, any excuse to play the game works... but the one a month is pretty easy to manage. 4 hours a month minimum AND Wyrd does throw you a bit of compensation. it's a sweet gig, and one i'm happy to be a part of.

if you're thinking about it, you should apply. They guys are pretty understanding, and if it turns out you can't commit to it, they don't seem the type to hunt you down with torches and pitchforks...

at least I don't think so.

In a self-serving plug, I actually wrote a little post about my experiences building a community as a Henchman.

Overall, the experience was a positive one for me. I mostly did what I wanted while promoting a game I loved. If you're even considering being a Henchman, I'd encourage you to just sign up. You can always leave later (as I did) and people don't even respect you less (or maybe they didn't respect me anyway so nothing changed)!