My arsenal deck nightmare.

Duck21

This is really annoying. You see I get all factions. Does that mean I have get all 14 decks now. I was planning to get some of them and trade for the rest. I don’t need every card in the deck, particularly since I‘m planning to re buy a lot miniatures I already own because I like the new plastics. But generic upgrades only being available in arsenal decks nearly eliminates that. Was this done to reduce card trading? Each deck costs £6 that’s about $9 little more than in the US, but all together that’s £84 ($126) for the switch.

Conflicting statements from Justin and Mack don’t help either. Justin says that everyone need to buy arsenal decks now, including people new to Malifaux. They can use the rest of the cards for reference. (But the profiles are in the book already). And Mack says that Arsenal Decks are just for transition they will become obsolete later. (So what happens to generic upgrade cards only available in Arsenal decks after they become obsolete?) What is going on? Is Gencon to blame for this chaos?

I am betting that the goal is to eventually do what Privateer Press did with the Faction decks, and we'll see a Combined Wave 1/Wave 2 of the Arsenal decks in the future. However, that's just my conjecture.

Yes.

Wave 1 arsenal decks come with all wave 1 cards.

Wave 2 arsenal decks come with all wave 2 cards.

A later arsenal deck may combine both waves 1 and 2 once they have both been out for a bit, but that's not for sure yet.

Yes.

A later arsenal deck may combine both waves 1 and 2 once they have both been out for a bit, but that's not for sure yet.

I would love a set of all the factions together at a slight discount for wave 2 (or for the combined set).

Yes.

This is pretty much the confusion Duck is talking about here.......I specifically asked if there would be a combined deck in the thread I started...and there was no mention of it.......no a little while later, you say that a combined deck is possible.

If I buy a Wave 1 Deck, then a Wave 2 Deck, then a combined deck comes out...........I WILL flip out.

I guess I just don't understand. If you buy the wave 1 Guild deck for 8, and then buy the wave 2 Guild deck for 8, and then later they release a combined wave deck for 16, why is that something to get upset about?

Because;

1> Everyone has been asking, but we can't get some solid info.......we get answered, but the answers often contradict each other.

2> A new edition and new product will have errors.....look at the old cards that had mistakes.....By the time the second deck comes out, lots of these editing problems will have been sorted......and I can get an error-free deck.

Kind of seems like Dgraz wants answers to things that are not yet able to be answered. It is like asking when we will see new plastic avatars, or the first new minions/masters in plastic, or when we will see the rules for M3e. We should wait for the dust to settle and then we can get a clear picture of what is going on.

Because;

2> A new edition and new product will have errors.....look at the old cards that had mistakes.....By the time the second deck comes out, lots of these editing problems will have been sorted......and I can get an error-free deck.

That could just be a question of new prints going forward. Whether or not there is a combo-deck at the end, I imagine at some point they'll just start printing runs of the deck with corrections in them. Which may be more reason to wait on them. It wouldn't be that much different from the way it was previously, save that the cards are all concentrated so you can get every correction at once instead of having an out-of-date card for one model and an updated card for a different model in the same list. Unless I'm missing something?

Then avoid rumors.

I do....at all costs......which is why I started a thread asking for accurate info before I start spending money. I don't have much 'recreation' money and I'm just trying to spend it as wisely as possible.

Kind of seems like Dgraz wants answers to things that are not yet able to be answered. It is like asking when we will see new plastic avatars, or the first new minions/masters in plastic, or when we will see the rules for M3e. We should wait for the dust to settle and then we can get a clear picture of what is going on.

Knowing how you're going to get rules for models that you already own and have been promised you'll be able to keep using is nowhere near the same as asking for when models will be released.

On one hand we're told there won't be a book 2....an arsenal deck will be the answer

On the other hand we're told that arsenal decks are a stop-gap measure

Which is it?

A year from now will there be a Wave 1 and a Wave 2.......no, that's just a redesign term.....they'll just be Malifaux models. To me, it doesn't make sense to tell a new player; 'you need to buy this book......this deck - which is all the models in that book........and this other deck - which is all the models not in that book'.

'You need this book and this deck' makes much more sense to me.

I don't like mistakes. I don't want to buy a deck with typos and stuff.....if I can wait...even a year if I need to.....to get ONE, complete, error-free deck, I'd rather do that than play the 'replace my messed up cards' game.

I don't blame you Dgraz. I really feel Wyrd kind of rushed M2e. We got half a book, half a deck. We got models, including totally new ones, that will be released over the coarse of the next couple of years. It really feels kind of sloppy way to get any new player into the game. Thing is, everyone else uses Kickstarter to help out with getting things started, why couldn't Wyrd do the same with M2e?

This is pretty much the confusion Duck is talking about here.......I specifically asked if there would be a combined deck in the thread I started...and there was no mention of it.......no a little while later, you say that a combined deck is possible.

If I buy a Wave 1 Deck, then a Wave 2 Deck, then a combined deck comes out...........I WILL flip out.

The thread you started seemed to imply you didn't want to buy the wave 1 cards because you thought they will be included in the wave 2 decks. And the answer is no, they will not.

To clarify completely and absolutely:

Wave 1 Decks: Released at Gen Con this year contain cards for all wave 1 models and no wave 2 models.

Wave 2 Decks: Released early 2014 contain all cards for all wave 2 models and no wave 1 models.

Question: Will there be a combined deck at some point?

Answer: I don't know. Maybe. But it's not the next thing on the agenda. It may be a full year after the wave 2 decks are out, it may never happen. I don't know. But I am not in a position to say one way or another.

I don't blame you Dgraz. I really feel Wyrd kind of rushed M2e. We got half a book, half a deck. We got models, including totally new ones, that will be released over the coarse of the next couple of years. It really feels kind of sloppy way to get any new player into the game. Thing is, everyone else uses Kickstarter to help out with getting things started, why couldn't Wyrd do the same with M2e?

Because all Wyrds other Malifaux books had all models for them released immediately too.

Right?

I dunno, I'd rather be playing the much better 2e as soon as possible. A spelling mistake in the book isnt going to make me flip my lid. An upgrade was forgotten in the book? Sucks, but hey, its in the arsenal pack so w/e thats where I want it to be anyway.

I feel like calling this whole thing a nightmare is a bit insulting to Chompy honestly.

And the real question is, will we get a second book? Even as light on fluff as book 2.1 or 2 Alpha may be, it still contains some backstory for the characters, their stat cards, their art their upgrades, and the generic upgrades. It contains a mix of Old Faux models and new ones. For the second wave to not receive its own book is odd, to say the least, especially if we're not going to see sculpts of them for another year or so.

I dunno, I'd rather be playing the much better 2e as soon as possible. A spelling mistake in the book isnt going to make me flip my lid. An upgrade was forgotten in the book? Sucks, but hey, its in the arsenal pack so w/e thats where I want it to be anyway.

I feel like calling this whole thing a nightmare is a bit insulting to Chompy honestly.

Eh, I feel like the complaint is valid. So far we've got at least one missing upgrade and possibly the wrong base size printed on a card. Now, I really enjoy M2e's rules, but right now they're all that's carrying the book. The layout is pretty bad, the fluff is poorly done, the art is limited to Wyrd's typical clip art and recycled pieces.

So yeah, as a $40 product, it would have been nice to feel like I had gotten my money's worth.

Ye gods the nightmare!

I dunno, if thats the case, use the beta rules and printouts then? Plenty of new art that I liked, I enjoyed the fluff so Im going to call personal taste on both of those, so just going to say "its a nightmare" over a misprinted base size and a card thats in the card pack?

Pretty tame nightmares

Eh, I feel like the complaint is valid. So far we've got at least one missing upgrade and possibly the wrong base size printed on a card. Now, I really enjoy M2e's rules, but right now they're all that's carrying the book. The layout is pretty bad, the fluff is poorly done, the art is limited to Wyrd's typical clip art and recycled pieces.

So yeah, as a $40 product, it would have been nice to feel like I had gotten my money's worth.

Hmm

Be a while before I get mine, but sounds like it could have been better formatted....

I dunno, if thats the case, use the beta rules and printouts then? Plenty of new art that I liked, I enjoyed the fluff so Im going to call personal taste on both of those, so just going to say "its a nightmare" over a misprinted base size and a card thats in the card pack?

Pretty tame nightmares

I'm not going to fight for ground over the use of the word "nightmare". Rather, I think people have the right to feel annoyed by the issues with the book.

Hmm

Be a while before I get mine, but sounds like it could have been better formatted....

Eh, there isn't any blank space in the book. I may be misunderstanding, but it seems some people would rather pieces of art be removed to pack things chalk full of rules. Which we could have done but, you know, art is cool.