What do you prefer, metal or plastic?

Carasz

It has come up in threads here and there and I'm curious. Everyone has a different opinion.

What does everyone prefer? Models made of tin or models made of plastic? Models made of resin maybe?

Personally I prefer plastics, all the way.

Starting out with GWs models, the plastics always had the extra bits, the choices of equipment and customization. The higher quality when it comes to details. Easier to build, glue and convert. Paint sticks to it better, not as much scraping when not using varnish and such. I still get this feeling, even with Wyrds models.

The downside would be that plastic breaks when bent too much or accidentally dropped.

What do YOU prefer?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of metal miniatures break just as easily as plastic, if not more so. Spears are particularly bad; ever opened the box and found a spear pre-bent? Ever tried bending it back only to have the metal tear?

I find Warmachine models are notorious for this. The accepted practice for assembling Khador's Iron Fang Pikemen is to remove the spear, drill a hole through the guy's hand, & replace the spear shaft with a thin metal rod from a hardware store.

Plastic is more fragile, but the sprues that they come on keep the pieces in decent condition. There is much less chance of buying a pre-broken model.

For finished models, I've been magnetizing my bases for easy transport, and haven't had to worry about anything getting bent or broken. I found a cheap and easy way to do this was to buy a magnetic vent cover strip and glue it to the bottom of the box I carry minis in, then glued metal washers to the bottom of the bases.

Easier to build, glue and convert.

Funnily enough, these are some of the reasons I prefer metal models. I find them much easier to clean up and put together - and about as easy to convert. I also prefer then to paint, and definitely prefer the heft of them while gaming. Much of this is probably down to the length of time I've been in the hobby - plastic models were rare when I started, so most of my experience is with metal.

I prefer plastics for the reasons noted + I can work in the house without getting metal shavings all over the place.

I would love for Wyrd to start adding move freebee bits on their sprues as there not been much of that thus far.

I've only picked up a couple resin figures and they are fabluous, not economical for a whole crew though.

If I could have all my models in plastic I would. I hate assembling metal models, to me its just a hassle, pinning etc. I'll pass on all of that 'fun'.

As for the weight issue, I'll happily take my models not overbalancing as much in return for not having to lug around a case full of metal.

I wouldn't not buy a model because it was metal but if given the option I'll pick plastics every time.

The downside would be that plastic breaks when bent too much or accidentally dropped.

See, I've found plastic bounces around, and doesnt break (depending on how big the model is I guess). I prefer plastic for everything already noted, plus the fact that I can drop it on the floor without much worry. On the other had, I prefer to paint metal. The detail seems better on metal (no large smooth areas, like plastic), but metal also has its issues (too porous, sometimes crumbles, bends to easy which leads to breaks over time, paint seems to rub off easier, or chip even when you wash then coat the model).

plastic 100%. you can create much more dynamic models in plastic and not have to worry about them becoming top heavy and tipping if on a hill, ramp, or rock. plastics can have their mold lines removed with the smallest tip of an exacto scraping. metals require room to use a file. with the new 3-D CAD modeling software, a sculptor can create a finished model, scan it, and use the computer to figure out the best way to explode the model into parts. a good team will be able to create molds so the line matches a jacket seam or sword edge. the old fashion 2 equal halves resulting in a line going into the oddest details common in metal casting can be a real pain.

it might not be an issue for malifaux, but when you play other model based army games of 28mm coughgamesworkshopcough and you need to lug around 30-50 models for scifi or 100ish models for fantasy, the weight difference of all metal vs all plastic armies becomes a huge deal.

the way metals chip, and bend is very frustrating.

On one hand, plastics are fantastic for the conversion opportunities and the fact that they just won't chip. Transporting plastic models is a dream and I always feel secure using them on the tabletop.

On the other hand, they also feel like computer-generated toys by comparison to a lot of the old metals. Original Lady J in particular feels like a sculpture to me, and the weight gives the piece beauty and significance just as much as the mark of the sculptor's tools and the slight differences that make every metal model unique.

Right now I'm a travelling student just about to leave uni, and plastic models are brilliant. Soon I will have an actual place to live and store things, and metal models are what I'll want. It's just a real shame that the world has chosen to bring them out in the opposite order.

The hard thing about this question is one can answer whether they like the material choice of metal vs. plastic (I prefer plastic in general for durability and ease of use) or, because it's the Wyrd Forms, one can go further to answer whether they prefer Wyrd metal or Wyrd plastics.

To the second interpretation I would say I prefer Wyrd metal. If they did the same minis, just in plastic, then Wyrd plastic would still get my vote.

However, while I agree the dynamic poses are impressive, and have enjoyed the way they look after assembly, the sprue layout, lack of directions, and tiny pieces, have made assembly less than fun.

The plastic lets them do things they would not try in metal, but I am not sure just because they can, they should.

The dynamic standing-on-one-foot poses and micro-thin weapons are not the most durable and make transportation more nerve-wracking.

And as has been already stated, the more "realistic" scaling and sculpting have made the features smaller and the contours shallow, making painting more difficult.

With smaller facial features you need magnification to even attempt to paint them (at least I do) and the shallow contours make washes and airbrush "shot from above shading" much more difficult, along with the increase of large smooth open areas that are generally harder to paint well.

Metal models are easier and more fun to paint.

Resin models are easiest to sculpt with a knife and easy to paint, but they can break very easily (Confrontation colossal dragon comes to mind - but I don't own such an expensive model).

Metal can be bent most easily without breaking, but there are parts that do break off (but I always notice those before bending them).

Greenstuff sticks best to metal and glueing metal to metal can be a pain if you haven't pinned it.

I'm too lazy to buy a new drill at the moment, but I will need it not just for drilling but for filing the mini and sculpting.

I can't translate well this word I want to use - google translate gives grinder, hone and whittle as translation and I'm not sure about that. It is a different set of inserts for a drill I want to use for filing and sculpting.

Anyway, I've been working mostly with metal and resin up until I've gotten Wong and Vanessa.

Glueing plastic to metal works like a charm. Glueing plastic makes the two parts slip alot, but it sticks faster then with metal.

Plastic is ok to model using scalpels and bends well if you use steam to soften it (someone mentioned using hair dryer as well). But getting plastic bits from the sprue might prove to be hazardous both to models and your fingers and little bits can fly off to some godforsaken place never to be found again (haven't lost anything yet, but I was close).

But as of my latest venture into Wyrd plastic needs a bit different of a painting style that I used with metal.

I remember I didn't have that problem with it before (since I use bits from various minis for conversions sometimes) and the texture is much different (some metal sculpts had more natural texture than plastic).

But these new plastic models have such great 3D poses to them and the art translates perfectly to plastic using digital tech for making molds. I heard about something called liquid greenstuff which is supposedly great for creating textures, but if you're a good painter you can make plastic work wonders without any tampering.

I'll just have to rework my painting philosophy when I approach plastic models from now on.

I have yet to try freehand on plastic models...

Saying that I can't wait for Through the Breach male/female plastic kits to become avaliable in online store.

A bit of off-topic:

The most difficult material for painting in my opinion is unlacquered broken up wood (I can't remember if I had the same problems with balsa since I didn't use it for a long time) and I used a lot of that for my Gremlin bases. Clay and plaster can be a bit difficult if there is a lot of texture, but the color sticks well to it. Some rubber like stuff I use for some shrub doesn't hold color very well. I've been a bit lazy with using varnishes lately so I have to repaint some stuff...

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

@Helm: I totally agree with your opinion on metal quality of sculpt.

I have my eyes set on Lady J for some time and I plan to get her just for the painting since I don't have any plans to start playing Guild any time soon.

Edited by Linus Mcmold
spelling

Metal models are easier and more fun to paint.

Having just subjected myself to the task that was Dead Justice, and owning four coryphee, I have to disagree there (definitely in prep work, and possibly in painting too)! *grin*

I often find that metal models are overdetailed, I prefer the space to play that the new Wyrd plastics give me over the endlessly detailed no-space-to-freehand type of metals. Some see that space as a problem, but I love it.

The details on plastics (generally, not specifically Wyrd's but I include them) in my opinion are cleaner and clearer, and that makes painting more of a decision about what to do with each bit rather than working out what a bit is in order to decide what it should be painted as. Yes, they have tiny parts but some of the metals did too and assembling/prepping the plastics has been less arduous than the metals in my experience. Plus of course the ease with which they can be hacked apart and converted, like my undead Miss Terious.

I'd pick resin first as a material, because it's lovely to work with and paint (NOT finecast, but McVey Studios resin or something like that). For gaming models I'll take plastic for preference, and will only get metal if I really like the sculpt and can't get it in resin or plastic. And if the company has a rep for producing good clean casts.

That's assuming average casting quality for each. Badly cast resin or plastic is not as good as well cast metal, but badly cast metal is a total nightmare to work with.

You're talking about a Dremel tool in this paragraph. "I'm too lazy to buy a new drill at the moment, but I will need it not just for drilling but for filing the mini and sculpting."

Although there are a number of these not made by Dremel tools if that makes any sense. The Dremel website lists these as Rotary Tools.

The one that I have is way too fast to use safely on miniatures. Not only did I burn my fingers, a piece of the drill bit flew off in one direction and the miniature in another. Miniature was not damaged but the drill bit was useless. You need one that is variable speed and that the speed can be easily controlled.

Agreed,.. with the above statements.

I prefer resins firstly, just because they are easy to reshape with just a bit of heat from a hairdryer. and are just as easily cut and modified as plastics.

Secondly, plastics,...

and Lastly,.. Metals. (Not that there aren't some truly beautiful metals out there. But they are a bit of a bear to modify. Especially if the arm you wanted to replace was moulded tightly against the chest or what have you. Anyone who's old enough to remember 1st generation space marines can attest to this)

I just scrapped just a long rant about philosophy behind owning stuff and hobby gaming (damn my anthropology major and finals I have to study for).

It just seemd a bit too long and boring for this thread, so I deleted it.

@Mako

What you said + I did write that I will have to reajust my paining style and reinvent the whole process behind painting these minis. It's just very different.

I started with Confrontation minis and those painted themselves on its own.

You didn't have to think a lot, but its about maturity and preferances of what you like on miniature.

What you're mentioning is also about art and how you can translate your own symbolism and ideas onto a miniature and what you want to express (if you're making just a mini for yourself or for other people to like).

I do not want to get much more into a brainscrew, but I will if you give me an excuse. *smug* I start to lose it when I get into a long post since I've been locked inside for too long.

Edited by Linus Mcmold
@ stuff

Oh, I totally agree - its a very personal thing, what type of sculpts people prefer. And material. There isn't a right answer, just individual preferences. There's a whole bunch of psychological stuff you understand better than me, that's about as far as I ever figured it out lol.

I got lucky in that my painting style changed first, which pushed me to prefer a new type of model, then Wyrd went in that direction. Probably less annoying than having a style change land on you and having to reset your painting a bit...

When I'm painting well I like plastic. Better paint adhesion and takes longer to start chipping etc. when I'm painting badly I prefer metal as it's easier to strip and start again.

Ideally I'd like the model to be metal right up to the point I've finished painting it and am happy with it, then have it magically turn to plastic.

I'm mostly a plastic guy, though I did start with warhammer when the plastic infantry kits were starting to catch on. I love how easy they are to convert with. Metal gluing on the otrher hand has given me some of the most frustrating modelling moments of my life.

Paintwise, I'm not much of painter, so I'd dare say I never really noticed much of a difference, now that I outsource all my painting, I notice that aspect even less, though I'm pretty impressed with what my painter can achieve with both types of material.

Resin I've only ever had aSeamus and Simulacrum 29, so can't say much except that it's too fragile for my liking, aSeamus had a foot fly off that I could thankfully greenstuff back in place.

100% Metal.

To be entirely honest, I have no really valid claims to support why other than, I like the weight, overall feel and I prefer painting them.

I actually tend so much more towards metal that I 're-think' buying a plastic mini simply based on whether or not I could possibly track down it's original metal counterpart and buy that instead.

BUT, my first real full on experience (assembly + painting) with plastics are the Wyrd Puppet Wars minis and I must say, I actually really like them. But, still prefer metal.

Maybe it's because I'm not that much of a painter, but I've never noticed any real difference between painting the different materials. To me it's mostly down to assembly, and I really don't like putting together metal miniatures, just too annoying. Although admittedly metal/plastic hybrids tends to be even worse.