Smogcon 2014

OldManMyke

Thanks very much for all the folks who have signed up for this, especially for the singles event, very gratifying as I know its a fair chunk of cash to fork out. We will do our very best to make it a unique set of events though.

To that end I have been pondering the format for the singles event and have jotted down some thoughts in, of all things a blog post. http://oldmanmyke.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/malifaux-tournament-musings.html

I'd be interested in any feedback on the idea

Good article Mike. Masters was three fixed lists, with each list being used once. With the faction specific schemes in 1.5 it meant there was a significant advantage to being able to switch between factions so you could expand on your schemes, having access to kidnap and sabotage was fairly powerful. *grin*

None of that really matters now though.

I'm not against the three master idea necessarily, but I'll play devil's advocate. I suppose the counter arguments would be;

• It's bad for newer players as they're less likely to be able to use multiple factions to their advantage.
  • It could lead to players cherry picking the 'best' masters in the game to form a super-group, which can lead to a more competitive environment with no requirement to compromise anywhere.
  • People have also already signed up to the singles event on the basis of it being fixed faction and may not be happy to have the format changed on them now.

That said I think it's an interesting idea.

Booked in for Story and 1 player torni – what is the format of the hard-core likely to be?

As for formats for games I would not be in favour of 3 masters from any faction – as Mythic Fox says I think it would lead to a “dream team” and potentially see a lot of spam lists being taken. Like at the end of 1.5 where you wouldn’t see a game without VS or Collodi.

However here to offer some suggestions – what about 3 masters that have to be in faction or what about a highlander torni – may only use one master once during a torni. Again not necessarily newbie friendly.

I’m still a fan of fixed masters and fixed pool especially as a way of attracting new players in to attending tournaments (all these new players must be come to meet the tournament scene right?)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm going to be taking Craigs place at this, and just wondered if anyone knew who I need to get in touch with regarding name changes and further registration etc.

I would try Oldmanmyke on twitter or Nepalese Ninja as they are running the Malifaux, they will at least be able to point you in the right direction.

Luke.