Malifaux V2 Art popuarity

nix

I recently dug out and posted in flickr a collection of the new Malifaux V2 art we got to see during the public beta. It was posted to my blog yesterday and went somewhat viral within the Malifaux twitter community through the day. I was pretty interested to see the results.

Disclaimer - These statistics do not mean anything outside of these statistics.

So out of a total of nearly 1000 views to the gallery yesterday, here is how the picture status broke out:

post-4095-13911930268296_thumb.jpg

I thought it was pretty interesting that out of the total views, Sonnia Criid led the most popular views with only 20. I was also surprised to see that none of the gremlins made it into the top 10 views yesterday, although Brewmaster has grabbed an early lead today and Rami is sneaking in at the bottom.

Overall just some fun. If you want to check out the collection take a look here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/27500765@N06/sets/72157634677575879/

well nix i only mouseovered the pictures to see if i was indeed correct in my assumptions of their identity but didnt click on any of them. i have however looked at both pages but not clicked on any so far.

Would i get a bigger pic if i did? id give it a try but that would skew the statistics ;)

Man, I was hoping that this was a poll thread about how people are reacting to the artwork.... It is very interesting to hear what people have to say... the only thing I am consistently finding is that people like different things. Some guys like the new Gremlins, other hate them, for instance.

I theorize, with no real basis of knowledge, that older players will like the new artwork less than newer players to the game. I have a few new players in my area and they like the look. (I directed them at your Flickr) Older players seem to be hit or miss.

If you click on the pics and click again you get them to Full screen mode:)

That said I am a big fan of new Joss, Taelor, Ice golem, Myranda, Executioner, Mc Mourning, Ronin and Rusty Alyce:D

As for the Love/Hate of the new Art style Vs Old style: The main change I've been noticing is that the new style feels less like a caricature and a bit more grim and realistic. Kinda like the tone/style difference between the Tim Burton's Batman compared to the Nolan's movies...

Edited by Baffo

I don't know, for me the difference between old and new is more 60's Batman to Tim Burton. There's still a bit of the bizarre, and almost absurd, but still with the lovely Victorian horror/steam punk to it. My primary positive for the art is consistency. The old art was all over the place, and so were the models. There were problems both in size and style that could make a crew look horribly hodge-podge and mismatched. Now, everything seems in tune, like it came out of the same world. There are still a number of different themes, from the aforementioned Steam Punk and Victorian Horror, to the practically splatterhouse nature of Steam Abominations, to both traditional and weird Western.

All in all, I'm a huge fan. Except for the Lone Marshall...horses don't run like that.

well nix i only mouseovered the pictures to see if i was indeed correct in my assumptions of their identity but didnt click on any of them. i have however looked at both pages but not clicked on any so far.

Would i get a bigger pic if i did? id give it a try but that would skew the statistics ;)

I don't believe that mouseing over the image will register as views, its likely only on a click.

I am most looking forward to seeing "blended" crews where people combine metal and plastic models based on their personal preferences. It is clear from the posts that is where a lot of people are heading.

I know the Lady J crew I will put together will feature the original Lady J, the new Judge, an original Death Marshall, a new Death Marshall (with flaming head), and Miss Terious.

Of course I eagerly await the subsequent release because I want to see the new Colette and showgirls (my default crew).

I'm starting to want all the models, old and new, standard edition and special edition. I just want a legion of Malifaux figures. Good thing I just got a second job to help pay for my hobbies.

---------- Post added at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

Also, one thing to consider is that it's not the color of the art that will determine what the new sculpts will look like. If you don't like Taylor with black hair (I do, but not as much as the previous Taylor), you don't have to paint here that way.

As a long time player I agree that the new art is far too much post apocalyptic mad Max/ Grimdark. It has lost all the humour and almost all the Gothic Horror.

Contradictory as it sounds I think the vast majority of the characters have been turned into parodies of who they were (Ortegas, bulk of the ressers), or is completely unrecognisable as being those characters (Sam, DMs, Judge)...except the Gremlins.

THEIR whole appeal was that they were parodies. Now they look all serious and the new art has none of the things that made me unable to resist buying them. Then we get to the horrendous "Anime Con teenage girls" make over the Viktoria's received...ugh.

More consistent it may be, but it lacks any charm or soul. Just my opinion. Sadly means that I'll likely not be buying many more Malifaux miniatures though.

Additional: Thing I noticed earlier: Why the fornication is the new Ophelia art based on the Miss Demeanour Convict Gunslinger and not Perdita? FAIL.

Edited by fishtank

For Wyrd to release plastic copies of the old models would be a missed opportunity IMO. Different people obviously like different things, and I consider change to be the same as choice. Who complained when the alt sculpts came out? I personally prefer a lot of the new art to the old. I would never have bought old McMourning: his feet were too big. Now I will. I will however continue to use my Alt Raspy. It's too nice a model, and fits the christmas theme of my december crew a lot better than the original or plastic sculpts will.

They are releasing all the Metal/resin models in Plastic, and have stopped production of all the metal miniatures, so if you want them, you need to get them soon. Currently though, there is nothing i have seen to say the new art is what the new models will look like.

They are releasing all the Metal/resin models in Plastic, and have stopped production of all the metal miniatures, so if you want them, you need to get them soon. Currently though, there is nothing i have seen to say the new art is what the new models will look like.

Since the move to plastic the concept art has been extremely close to the final sculpt.

As a long time player I agree that the new art is far too much post apocalyptic mad Max/ Grimdark. It has lost all the humour and almost all the Gothic Horror.

Contradictory as it sounds I think the vast majority of the characters have been turned into parodies of who they were (Ortegas, bulk of the ressers), or is completely unrecognisable as being those characters (Sam, DMs, Judge)...except the Gremlins.

THEIR whole appeal was that they were parodies. Now they look all serious and the new art has none of the things that made me unable to resist buying them. Then we get to the horrendous "Anime Con teenage girls" make over the Viktoria's received...ugh.

More consistent it may be, but it lacks any charm or soul. Just my opinion. Sadly means that I'll likely not be buying many more Malifaux miniatures though.

I've only been playing for around 6 months but I'm definitely in agreement with this. ^^

I've posted my thoughts on the new arts in detail already, but I'd like to mention that in my gaming circle outside of Malifaux, the art is getting panned, and it's got me curious.

I don't believe one anecdotal evidence from a guy biased against the new art means anything, but I think maybe try it for yourself as an experiment to see how potential new players might view the art.

I don't believe one anecdotal evidence from a guy biased against the new art means anything, but I think maybe try it for yourself as an experiment to see how potential new players might view the art.

What do you mean by this Jonas? My brain slowed down and I don't understand what your trying to say?

:Paralyzed_Puppet:

Thank you for posting them all up on one place for starters! I have been dying to see these.

I must say, I like some of the old ones a lot better than what new ones seem to be like, but there are some new awesome models coming up according to those pics. Flesh construct seemed Badass and the new punk zombie, for starters.

Well, to me it's hit and miss, though more hit. I'm one of the guys that actually likes the Viks and loves Leveticus. Hell, it's mostly the Guild, neverborn and arcanists which have me shrugging. Ressers seem pretty nice, but since I have most of them there isn't really much of a problem if they sucked and I don't have the intention to buy stuff I already have, or at least not initially. Gremlins are mostly amazing and the rest is more of on an average sea with some other amazing's (papa loco, new marshals) and other bah (lone marshal, what happened to your horse?! or Nino).

As for my posse, 1 is in more aye than nay camp, mostly liking it but feeling there are a number of stinkers. The other one is crying at the Ortega's zaniness or Samael being so gruf, I personally am ok with Samael and except for Perdita and Nino, actually like the Ortegas, but I am one of the guys that finds Francisco to be HILARIOUS.

If they manage to make the models look like the art (as has been the case for a while now) then, on the whole I like them. The only Masters I'm not keen on are the Viks but then I was never that keen on the old ones either. There's quite a few that I'd be tempted to get even though I don't currently play them, so I guess that puts me in the right target demographic.