Holy poop, malifaux 2.0!

DeleteAccount

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, on a personal note, I feel absolutely vindicated.

To hear the devs discussing things I've felt were a problem for a long time now is just heartening.

Thanks Mack, Thanks Justin, Thanks Eric, Thanks Courage Wolf, Thanks...

It was common knowledge how much separate butt pieces meant to you. :)

Thank god, they basically stated all the private Beta test info as part of the podcasts. It was going to suck trying to remember what could and couldn't be spoken about (Not that I knew much, mind you.)

I think the "Add-on" rules is going to take some getting used to, and I am hopeful that the "base" versions of figures won't be a little too simplified.

I am... less than impressed... that we will need to buy new cards, but that can be off set by price. If the whole faction will cost me $15, then I am happy (and it opens up proxy options). If it instead costs $35, well, they will probably have lost me as a customer.

Balancing the Masters? Yay!

Clearly some of the current Masters are under-powered. I also like the idea of Henchmen being promoted to Master.

Refining and clarifying the rules? Yay!

There are some really murky rules in some cases, but overall I think it is a pretty tight system.

Stripping rules from cards because they "simply had too much on them"? Booooooo!

I have never heard anyone in my life say, 'Yeah, there is way too much cool stuff here, let's strip it down'.

The intricate detail is one of the main things that really sets this game apart. So many other miniatures games have wide ranges of models representing what are essentially very similar 'playing pieces' in-game. Malifaux has excelled at using unique models with unique rules from the start. Please do not dumb down this wonderful game.

I also share other poster's trepidation about having to buy all new cards. Ohhhh the humanity of wasted lamination!

Until the open beta starts, I am just going to remain optimistic and keep my fingers crossed.

I think the rules streamlining is fine. On almost every card I own there is at least one ability that never gets used outside of corner cases. Makes it easier to teach some one the game when there isn't 5 situational abilities on their master that they won't even use.

I think the rules streamlining is fine. On almost every card I own there is at least one ability that never gets used outside of corner cases. Makes it easier to teach some one the game when there isn't 5 situational abilities on their master that they won't even use.

Agreed. I'm all for allocating some talents to Symbol format, too.

I am infinitely curious about these new rules. I cannot wait to dig in.

I am curious about the rule changes to each master. Of course streamlining and reworking makes sense, but I hope there's not too much change to their individual mechanics.

Basically I'm saying that if I can't Mannequin-tize Jonas's Peacekeeper in every game anymore, I shall be nettled. Disappearing Act is the best.

Stripping rules from cards because they "simply had too much on them"? Booooooo!

I have never heard anyone in my life say, 'Yeah, there is way too much cool stuff here, let's strip it down'.

The intricate detail is one of the main things that really sets this game apart. So many other miniatures games have wide ranges of models representing what are essentially very similar 'playing pieces' in-game. Malifaux has excelled at using unique models with unique rules from the start. Please do not dumb down this wonderful game.

I'll chime in here from a Henchman's POV. Having simplified cards that still have the 'core' of what a model is about is going to be a god send from a demo perspective. It makes the game much less intimidating for a newcomer, then being able to add on additional abilities to models once you understand their core function grades the learning process so much more.

In addition upgrades have so many exciting possibilities as to how to run campaigns, narrative scenarios, themed leagues (say a set of upgrades available for Dead of Winter games ro the like), theres a lot of positive possibilities here for me.

I think it really depends on how simplified we're talking here. If the rules for each master/minion/henchman become "generic" or they start to lose their individual character, then that's troubling.

However, if some of the talents that rarely come into play are moved to upgrades, and the wording on many talents is made more succinct, then that's really good.

My concern is that Masters will be so dumbed down that they will lose the core functionality that makes them, well, them. I started a thread related to this.

If some Masters end up with add-ons that are, functionally, auto-includes than they have gone too far. The core of a character must be maintained, IMO.

I am also concerned that they may be adding another step that prolongs the "not actually playing" part of the game. Malifaux isn't a fast game to begin with, I dont want to worry about another 15 minutes in the setup phase.

My concern is that Masters will be so dumbed down that they will lose the core functionality that makes them, well, them.

This is my major concern as well. I have faith in Wyrd though! Just the fact that they're having an open beta will hopefully curb this sort of thing.