Model Tragedies - By other people.

Dreygan

So I'm sure at some point, no matter how careful we are, we have all messed up our own models in some way. But last night my best friend was looking at my desolation engine while i played a game and it ended up getting dropped and busting all the paint off the fingernails of his reaching hand.

So it got me wondering what kind of impressive stories people had of somebody else somehow damaging your models?

Ill start (though not that impressive):

A few months ago I finished doing my first freehand pattern, painted some vines on my Hordes Warlock's cloak. The following Friday brought him in for a game and my opponant ended up dropping his measuring template during the game and cutting through the paint almost all the way across the cloak.

A friend of was asked by Forgeworld to paint a Emperor Dragon for a overseas corporate client. This friend of mine had long dreads and was walking past it the night before it needed to be sent to the client and his hair caught the wing picked up the Dragon and dropped it onto a concrete floor. You know what happens to an Emperor Dragon when it falls onto a concrete floor... No sleep, 3 bottles of glue and lots of cursing trying to piece together a 100 piece dragon jigsaw.

My dogs ate my Peacekeeper!

No really. It was the last model I had painted up before Adepticon this year. It was a modified Peacekeeper built out of two of them. I sculpted a hatch on the center of the model and mounted its gun in that and then gave it a 4th normal arm. Then I mounted it on a nice street base. Painted it up in bronze and red and was really happy with it.

It was a nice day so I went outside with my clear coat and sprayed the heck out of and then left it to dry on a table. I also let me dogs out. Needless to say when I let them in the Peacekeeper was missing. I have only found bits and pieces of it in the back yard. Heavily chewed and mangled.

I have very stupid dogs :)

I have very stupid dogs :)

I'd call the ambitious myself ;P

I've had no memorable disasters with painted models, but can remember numerous times after spending an evening finding the perfect hand/accessory/head for a model, just as I was about to glue it into place, dropping it to be lost in the depths of a hungry carpet :( Open mouthed skulls were always especially bad for this.

After painstakingly completing my steamborg executioner, my cat jumped on the table, scattering minis everywhere.

Fortunately, they all scattered on to my soft couch.

Unfortunately, I didn't find the steamborg until a friend sat on him...

In the middle of the night I was suddenly awoken by a strange noise. Having turned on the light I looked around the room. It turned out it was just my cat, it came in through the window. It used to do that a lot. Usually then it would jump on the bed and fall asleep there. Not that unfortunate night, however. For some reason unknown to me, Magma the cat decided the shelf I kept my army on was a more comfortable place to sit on...

Three days before the IP8 round 11 entries were due, I had taken my entry to my LGS for some critique. There was a really bad windstorm that night, and while I was in the restroom someone opened the door and the wind blew my case off of the table. I then had to reassemble and repaint my entry in 3 days. It was miserable.

Battlefleet gothic minis, both Imperial and Chaos ships, nothing really good to keep them in at the time and my grandmother flipped out if they were out, so they ended up in a shallow box, that was more of a cardboard tray , cat's immediatly jump up, cardboard tray gets sent to the floor, 2 fleets are smashed up, weapons snapped off to never be seen again, prows gone, the stems to the flying bases snapped. over 10 years later and I still haven't managed to repair them all

I paint sitting on the floor of the living room. I got sick of dropping mini's when painting at my desk, and my wife is very understanding and our kids are grown up so there's no real reason why I can't.

My cat however has a terrible habit of walking through my palette, and leaving a little trail of multi-coloured footprints across the floor. They wipe up, or scrape off no problem, and the cat can be cleaned. What really caused the problem is when she jumped off the windowsill, straight into my work box and landed on a tube of superglue.

Cost a small fortune in vets bills to have the glue removed from her foot.

• 2 weeks later...

Long time ago(5th ed fantasy days.) The store manager was showing off his gryphon for his army and one of customers had it in his hands and asked if it was pinned. The owner said no, so the guy broke the wings off right in front of him. Now he did take the model and pinned the wings for him, but the look on his face was priceless.

Many years ago, when I was a teenager, I had saved up my allowance and some money from odd jobs to buy the feathered serpent dragon for the Shadowrun game (a really huge and highly detailed coatle for those unfamiliar) and spent literally days picking out each individual feather in various bright rainbow colors. At the time, my little sister (now a miniature gamer herself) was only 4 and had an insatiable curiosity for all of my wonderful and forbidden possessions, and picked it up to look at/ play with while i was away, dropping it and smashing the delicate thing into dozens of pieces- several of which she lost in an attempt to hide the wreckage from me. I bring up the fate of that miniature every time she asks to borrow any of my figures, even though it was over 20 years ago.

it didn't happen to me but I witnessed a painful model tragedy.

There's this 40k player at my FLGS who was so proud of his full painted army (I don't know what cuz I don't play 40k). He won the game but was being a jerk about it so when his gun case accidentally opened and dropped a few units, his opponent tried to hide a smile and the rest of us tried to help up the now in tears player.

The models were very well painted probably competition quality and at the end of the day, he lost a few arms and heads.

Since then, I do my best to not be a jerk in any way... since I love my painted Malifaux models...

In a store that shall remain unnamed, they were holding a miniature painting contest and the staff had just finished putting the entrants on display. Several minutes later there was a loud crash and saw one of the staff members sitting in the middle of where the display was only shortly before. It seems he tripped on a step and went flying into said display. Many of the entrants were broken (including mine) which liked to many people frantically regluing models and repairing paint jobs. The display was a write off. What was truly amazing was that despite it being a glass display case, the staff member came away unscathed.

One I was not there to witness when it happened. A guy taking a Forge World Tau Manta to his club and placed it on something that later turned to to house a radiator, the Manta got a little droopy from the heat after the heating was turned on. I later saw the Manta with my own eyes and felt really bad for the guy. I understand he managed to slowly get it back the way it is supposed to be, but it took much work to do so.

I was working on an Infinity Anathematic, which have these long curved braid blade things going off the side of their head. One snapped off after a long time of fighting with it so i grabbed it, but it managed to hook onto the model's leg and fling it onto the ground, shattering it quite nicely.

Its a very finicky model and to get reduced right back to step 1 on it was infuriating. I put my tools down and went to bed