graeme27uk

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outside of very niche situations I pretty much feel Kirai's avatar is an Auto-Never-Include. Please understand I'm not knocking what it can do, it's a fairly ok melee model. The problem is that Kirai doesn't need to be a fairly ok Melee Model, she has and can summon shikome, which are amazing, and the Ikiryo, which is decent as well. Also in order to manifest you give up almost every advantage that contributed to why you are even playing Kirai. You give up Kirai's survivability, you give up her mobility, you give up her crew's mobility, all to gain an ok melee model.

Now that said if you want to play Kirai, and don't want any other resser master her avatar does have a place, because it is only through her avatar that you will have any reasonable chance of ever getting max points for Contain Power. Also Kirai's Avatar, can be a great deal of fun, as it will be a headache for anyone who still attacks your crew when she comes out, as she will punish them very much for doing so.

The avatar is a very good modeling opportunity. I had a great deal of enjoyment painting and modeling mine. In terms of effectiveness..., like most avatars for the book 2 masters bring it out for fun, leave it in the case for the tourney.

i don't buy miniatures unless i can use them (or bent on using them).... so far all the masters bar one have Avatars that are meh.

Raspy

LJ

Perdita

Ramos

Victoria

Ramos' Avatar strikes me as something I should have... but I am having so much fun with LJ and Perdita... I have yet to get much practice in with Ramos... Infact... I have been tinkering with an idea for Raspy but that is for another thread.

Got a good price on it so I might get it for the model and play around with it at home.

At the moment I am not sure I want to get into the other resser masters as none of them jump out of me theme and fluff wise. I had only bought Kirai for a mate to use but he is still undecided on malifuax at the moment.

Cheers for the comments guys :)

Dezzo keen to hear about your Raspy plans.

• 1 month later...

I was very excited when I heard about Avatars, and naturally expected them to be more powerful versions of masters.

My friends and I are still rather inexperienced at malifaux, but we are working on that :D

I'm yet to play with an avatar, however I am impressed that as mentioned above, they are a shift in power as opposed to being over powered (coming from 40k the newer something is the more overpowered it is generally).

Reading the rules for avatar lcb/dreamer just makes me want to try it out, even though its so far from what I would usually try. and the change to perdita seem interesting too (I have a nightmare LCB that I shall use for his avatar until its released, and am currently pinning together Perdita's avatar).

I love the theme of certain characters, and the little bit of story in front of each avatar in twisting fates is awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Avatars are not uber-superdy-duperty. Good. Malifaux is not a game you win with your cheque book.

Style of play is the main reason to choose a master. Being able to switch is a powerful option. The interaction with your crew is almost as important. Being able to change means you can keep your opponent guessing. Otherwise a zillion spiders always wins.; -)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've made no secret that the Avatars bug me from every conceivable standpoint, but there are a few things that would make me dislike them less regarding gameplay. The big one is multiple ways to bring them into play.

I've always liked the idea of being able to being able to choose between paying for them with some kind of upfront cost (like Soulstones) or having to pay for them via manifestation.

• 3 weeks later...
To be fair, he does not have to cast it on turns 1 and 2. You could wait until it made sense to cast the spell instead of wasting the activations.....

Just making a point, not that I actually play that way. With aSonnia, I actually build part of my crew around getting a benefit from doing my manifest requirements early.

Would you be willing to share? I'm curious as to what crew would benefit from her casting of Inferno. Doing 10 damage to enemy models could certainly be a benefit, if it can be done early enough to matter, but I don't see how Inferno benefits a crew unless she's already close enough to damage enemies with it.

I love and adore aSonnia, but having to spend my (0) on Inferno can be a little stressful. I would generally only use it in end game, generally preferring her other (0) actions earlier on. Doing damage with spells is reasonable, but having to do 10 wounds can take a lot out of me, especially if I'm avoiding Confiscate Lore to keep my (0) free.

take 2 desperate mercs. Turn 1: inferno. knocks them down to 1 wound. turn 2: violation of magic on each -> 2 healing flips, plus 2 witchling stalkers.

the turn you want to manifest, (as long as it's not turn 2) you use (0) inferno again, then you manifest and use casting master to violation or cast Pyre.

Tograth got it.

I tend to do exactly as he mentioned, with my competitive aSonnia list containing Santiago and 2 desperate mercs and a guardian. The guardian typically shield bashes santiago for 1wd, then protects santiago. Santiago, Sonnia, and the 2 mercs all walk to a point no more than 6 inches outside the deployment zone and Sonnia burns the mercs and Santiago for 3 points with the first Inferno casting.

Starting Turn 2, I have a powered up Santiago with a guardian protecting him, and 2 Merc's who are ready to become stalkers. I find that I often have the opportunity to either burn a stone for Confiscated Lore then violate the merc's into witchlings, or to burn the stone, walk, and unleash fiery hell onto the enemy. In a perfect setting (usually against someone who has not played vs Sonnia), I draw 2-3 tomes between turns 1 and 2 and get off the Fireball plus the violates without needing to walk. this ends up typically burning 2-3 stones, but puts me ready to manifest on turn 3.

Also I'm pretty sure that most of the Avatars are trying to follow the Fluff to a point. Which is why Hoffman somehow becomes for susceptible to blasts (He is unconscious and cannot dampen) and Hamelin loses a lot of power (as he is recovering). If you try to compare the fluff to the models it is pretty close.

As for the power of the models, the only one that I auto include (not that there aren't others more powerful) is ASeamus, and that is because he is so much fun to have. Even if I only use him for 2 turns (usually wait to activate him late game).

• 3 weeks later...

I do not play with them and have not seen avatars used well where I am, but I do not think they are a step too far. I have toyed long and hard with the idea of getting Pandora and Rasputina. I feel that Avatars where a good move for Wyrd's game play and fluff, arguably better then adding another master to the factions. None of the avatars look to be supper powered, they are just different and tend to come with their own sacrifices from the original master.

I kind of feel bad for desperate mercs. So many strategies revolve around - "Take two desperate mercs, murder them, profit!"

cuz it would cost you a soulstone to have the Desperate Merc to survive till the end of the end.

I use them as front line first blood minions... i care less if they die early.. that's why I hired them.

cuz it would cost you a soulstone to have the Desperate Merc to survive till the end of the end.

I use them as front line first blood minions... i care less if they die early.. that's why I hired them.

It's not so much the dying that bothers me, it's the fact that they seem to get purchased for the express purpose of being killed by your own crew! But that's not going to stop me using a desperate merc in my Kirai crew for exactly this end...