Is each fire pillar a separate piece of hazardous terrain

CannonFodder

Question

I asked couple question along time ago, but don't recall seeing anything conclusive, most are not that important, but 1 I think is.

Is each Fire pillar considered a separate piece of terrain, or are they considered 1 piece.

ie. can I place 2 pillars behind someone and use a knockback/push ability to push then threw 2 pillars for damage on each pillar.

24 answers to this question

A question I had is regarding the wording change from Sonnia's old stat card to her new one. In the old edition, a model would take damage by moving through a flame wall or starting an activation in one. The new stat card merely says that the flame walls are Hazardous (3) terrain, and in the rulebook it says that models will take damage when moving through hazardous terrain, but doesn't say anything about taking damage for activating in hazardous terrain.

So I suppose my basic question is, do models also take damage for taking an action while in hazardous terrain, or merely moving through it. If it's the latter, it seems silly that a model would take 3 damage upon entering the flame wall, and then could stay in there the rest of the game without any further ill effect. Thanks!

2 different, so if you can let 1 model go through both of them = pain.

same with raspy, 2 terrain pieces

For Raspy we always played each as a separate, but having to break a whole is not the same as being thrown threw fire. People tend to change their opinion when it comes to taking damage vs having to walk around something.

arew the flame wall markers Terrain?

My Soniacard does not say annything about that!

Raspys Spall sais that ice pillars are terrain... but Flame Walls aren´t... thats how i played it so far... am i wrong?

Ice Pillars are Terrain so they stay. Sketch just confirmed the other day that Flame Wall from Kaeris, as well as Immolate (and probably a couple other things) are Markers, not Terrain, and therefore, will disappear during the Resolve Effects Phase.

Simply the difference between Markers and Terrain.

considering that the Flame Wall says that two 50mm markers have to be touching, I would think they are one piece of terrain. You couldn't set them apart and push a model through them because it wouldn't be a legal placement of the original markers.

First of all...they aren't terrain, they're markers. And in the game, all Markers have to be of a particular base size. In this case, it is TWO (separate) 50mm Markers. Therefore, they have to be two individual instances.

I do agree that you can't set them apart from each other, as it very clearly says "touching each other".

But the trick of using Knockback to push an enemy through both pillars should certainly work, causing 6 Dg total.

Okay, so Kaeris can create Immolation markers with one of her abilities, then create fire pillar markers with another, which may overlap the Immolation markers. If Colette buries an enemy model, then during the Start Closing Phase places the enemy model at the intersection of the two flame and Immolation markers, that would be (3+3)+(3+3)=12 damage. Nice.

Plus anything else she places back onto the board that doesn't fit between the two pillars can go into one of them for (3 + 3) = 6 damage. Also nice.

Remember, the Immolation markers don't go away and the other one goes away at the End Closing Phase, assuming the wording in Rising Powers hasn't changed. I'm still waiting on my box set to arrive. . .

The best part about this is that Colette can't take the Mobile Toolkit in a Scrap, but she can take Kaeris, and who needs to spend 2 Soulstones to attempt to turn an enemy into a Mannequin when you could just turn them into kindling.:blowup:

Maybe 2012 will be the year of the Colettes.

Remember, the Immolation markers don't go away and the other one goes away at the End Closing Phase, assuming the wording in Rising Powers hasn't changed. I'm still waiting on my box set to arrive. . ..

I'm not really sure about this one. Sketch said somewhere else that Markers go away during the Resolve Effects Step, while Terrain doesn't. So I don't really know how this one is supposed to play out.

Ice Pillars are Terrain so they stay. Sketch just confirmed the other day that Flame Wall from Kaeris, as well as Immolate (and probably a couple other things) are Markers, not Terrain, and therefore, will disappear during the Resolve Effects Phase.

Simply the difference between Markers and Terrain.

Where was this confirmed? I cannot find it (and I have looked).

The only reference I can see is in the Rules Manual which says:

Markers possess one or more item traits, and can be moved through or occupied, but are not considered terrain. A Marker remains in the game as long as it takes to resolve its effects; it may remain in play for the entire Encounter.

Where was this confirmed? I cannot find it (and I have looked).

The only reference I can see is in the Rules Manual which says:

The marker rules are on page 18, and basic rules say effect end at end of turn.

I just checked the online Raspy V2 card and it specifically sais the ice pillars are

• 2x50mm bases,
  • are terrain,
  • no reference to markers.

I don't have my Kaeris card with me but I think it does not have the keyword Terrain in the ability, and just uses markers for fire pillars. As for the immolation ability, I don't know if it sais terrain or not.

Okay, that makes sense. Effects end in the Closing Phase as usual.

Nothing on Kaeris' card (which I have right here) says Terrain, either in Immolate or in Flame Wall.

Oh, and with Myranda copying Kaeris' spells you can have two Flame Walls per Turn, and possibly some more Immolate markers. I will leave it to others to work out the maximum possible damage from a Colette Flaming Oubliette :D

It is once per Activation :D

EDIT: Worth noting re Markers is that as per the Rules Manual, Markers are placed in the same way as Counters. Counters, in turn, must not be placed so that they "overlap a model's base."

Does this mean that if a model is killed by being Immolated we cannot place the resulting marker over any models? What if it cannot be placed without overlapping other models?

Edited by Sholto

It is once per Activation :D

EDIT: Worth noting re Markers is that as per the Rules Manual, Markers are placed in the same way as Counters. Counters, in turn, must not be placed so that they "overlap a model's base."

Does this mean that if a model is killed by being Immolated we cannot place the resulting marker over any models? What if it cannot be placed without overlapping other models?

I would guess that you can touch other models because all the other abilities say place at least 1 inch form another model, while this does not have that restrictions.

Either way we need an official answer, because this is such a big difference 3 damage verse 6 damage, that it could be game changing in some cases. The longer it takes to get an official answer the more frustrated people are going to get. Its a simple enough situation, plain and simple. Will each marker trigger separate when a models base touches more then one marker?