Alright, that does it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the silliness seems to have reached new levels with the grey knights. :rolleyes:

I still enjoy the game and hell, I'm even thinking of bringing my Dark Eldar back out of retirement. But the Grey Knights? Aspects of their rules, models and background just seem to perpetuate the "Kiddyhammer 40k" stereotype.

At least from what I've seen.

In the meantime though... Malifaux!! :D

4b1e2131069f3f42e6dc0fa5e70804cd_28670.jpg__thumb

LOL. You shoudl see the Dakka 40+ page thread on this thing...

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/350963.page

Here are some of the highlights:

Baby harness:

zach-galifianakis-the-hangover-SNL.jpg

We even had 'Looted' Dreadknights...

194619_sm-Conversion%2C%20Deff%20Dread%2C%20Dread%20Knight%2C%20Grey%20Knights%2C%20Looted%2C%20Orks.jpg

How OP Draigo is:

DREADKNIGHT_DOOMFISTS.jpg

194990_md-Draigo.jpg

The Dreaddreaddreadknightknightknight:

1299750289772.jpg

and then it went crazy places like the Rasta Marines...

NemesisDreadLock4copy.jpg

and the NEMESIS APOC FORMATION...

doomtitancopy.jpg

We also discovered that Jokaero's are orange apes...

200685_191901017516144_153487338024179_477507_7933324_n.jpg

and they have a special close combat move...

monkeysflingpoo.jpg

Even I'm done with 40k for a while. This isn't a model, it's an action figure.

m1710176a_99120107003_DreadKnight01_873x627.jpg

So stupid... but yet... I want one.... DAMN YOU GW!

And yeah, +1 on the kiddyhammer aspect of 40k, especially Greyknights. They are even more of a crutch army then Space Marines now, which is impressive.

But as usual... it has one problem... HE ISN'T WEARING A FREAKING HELMET O.o

AvatarForm: thank you for the recap, it was awesome. :D ...and there was no way I was skimming that whole thread.

Lalo, you are welcome. I had been following and infrequently contributing to the thread, but I felt it would be too painful to have you all re-read 45 pages.

The thread is now locked and here is my summary (beyond the photoshop earlier):

Well, I certainly did not believe it would spawn a 40+ page (ok first 12 were assumption) thread that could be summarised by photoshops... while those with rules queries were ignored or could have simply read a copy of the Codex, as its out already.

In the end it devolved into arguements over CONTEXT of all things... someone said Melta...something...something... and other yelled back about Psycannons and DE Raiders...

My overall impressions of the GK CODEX is that it is simply GW's next engine to move boxed sets from shelves/warehouses and is better off as reading material or, as some suggest, as a 'counts as' TAU Codex... due to the xenos allies and Gundam-like mech suits.

I approve of all the new minis, as they will serve a hobby purpose, even if you do not game with them.

I will be using PAGK and TAGK as conversions for my Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons and will probably grab one of each of the new sculpt ICs for display purposes.

Even the JOKE-aero may have a place in my display cabinet one day... Though, in all honesty, the REAPER alternative is much nicer...

50214_p_1_mp.jpg

GW keeps itself in business by redoing an armies codex every three years and making them more powerful than the last armies codex they finished prior.

Cool mini's are one thing, but for a player, it gets very frustrating, not to mention very costly.

I think there are many GW game players out there who wished GW redid each army codex within 3 years. When I played 40k, I played Grey Knights. They sorely needed an update.

This, however, is not an update. It's a reboot on steroids.

GW keeps itself profitable by upping the power level with new codices on a random basis constantly. The newest stuff is always way cooler and more powerful than the old stuff. When the system reaches it's inevitable tipping point of ridiculousness, they wipe the slate clean with a new edition. The pattern is very, very obvious. If you try to keep your old army, it becomes outdated. When your loyalty is finally rewarded with a new codex, you need to buy a bunch of stuff due to changes or just that it is so cool.

I won't argue they make some really nice looking models (a friend showed me the new dark eldar and I was tempted even), but having been burned so many time from their cycle, I spend my hobby dollars elsewhere.

GW keeps itself profitable by upping the power level with new codices on a random basis constantly. The newest stuff is always way cooler and more powerful than the old stuff. When the system reaches it's inevitable tipping point of ridiculousness, they wipe the slate clean with a new edition. The pattern is very, very obvious. If you try to keep your old army, it becomes outdated. When your loyalty is finally rewarded with a new codex, you need to buy a bunch of stuff due to changes or just that it is so cool.

I won't argue they make some really nice looking models (a friend showed me the new dark eldar and I was tempted even), but having been burned so many time from their cycle, I spend my hobby dollars elsewhere.

As a point of speculation, do you think this is entirely on purpose? Do you think GW actually tells their designers "OK, good codex, but unfortunately it's not more powerful than Blood Angels. Go back and redo it."

I find it unlikely. I think it's more likely that they are encouraged to come up with new models or make models that no one tends to buy more worthwhile, but I doubt they actually encourage codex creep.

That said, GW seems to be full of enthusiasts and people who love the game. I think it's easy when you get excited to miss the obvious gain in power of something because of how cool it is, and I just don't think the encouragement is there to make sure it's balanced.

Just my thoughts, obviously.

I was informed in 2010, by a GW representative that GW plans to upgrade all codex/army books within a 3-5 year time frame. In the past some were renewed in less time and there were armies that were badly neglected. The Grey Knights were part of the Inquisition/Witch Hunters, and are now getting their own codex.

New mini's, figures, weapons are great selling points, as are new books with better stats. Yes, I know the new stats are game tested for "balance", GW did a great article on it when they introduced the Tau. They were way too powerful and had to be toned down, not once but twice.

As a point of speculation, do you think this is entirely on purpose? Do you think GW actually tells their designers "OK, good codex, but unfortunately it's not more powerful than Blood Angels. Go back and redo it."

I find it unlikely. I think it's more likely that they are encouraged to come up with new models or make models that no one tends to buy more worthwhile, but I doubt they actually encourage codex creep.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."

There's a certain line where it just doesn't matter any more. The end result is the same. And after such a long time period of unintentional balance issues, it crosses into negligence.

Whether they actually do it on purpose or not, refusing to address something that's been a problem in their products for so long is just as bad.

I will say I like the model, even if it doesn't fit the general style of 40K very well. It's nice to see their vehicle design moving past "Box on wheels/treads/legs/wings".