Casual/Comptetative Poll

gunpowder saint

On the whole I play with the intention of winning the game, but my crew and scheme selection are geared toward trying new things and having some fun. Besides, what's the point in taking the same 'optimised' crew and selecting hold out/body guard for every game? I'd learn nothing as a gamer, I wouldn't be challenging myself and I wouldn't be taking advantage of the nice, big collection of awesome models I have. :D

I'm weird. I have less fun when I am trying to play competitively. Attaining victory is a job.

To that effect, I prefer to play for the experience. I have a lot of fun with the story aspect of the game, and with writing up the game battle reports. Teaching others to play is also pretty rewarding.

I still plan to enter tournaments, and play competitively in them, but I'll be going into them with a very different mindset. I wont be "playing Malifaux" then.

I like winning, but a defeat after hard-fought battle, or a memorable one at least, is fine too. I strongly dislike defeats that hinged on one trick or some critical fumble of mine. I'd say I'm semi-casual though, as I sometimes make decisions based on rule of cool rather than cold calculation

Competitive.

I don't always play lists that I think are optimized, but I simply enjoy competition - like, I often start drinking contests, make walks to the station a race and believe trash talk is a natural part of each and every game so much I'll probably even do it when playing Parcheesi with my kids, if I'll ever have any.

There's not too much difference between Casual & Semi-casual imo, so I could have voted for either. As I could for Tournament Player, as I love to meet other enthusiasts & see other people's Visions Splendid.

I used to be a highly competitive tournament player, but there really is something inexorably sad about an adult staking their entire sense of self worth on the outcomes of games of pretty miniatures & the vagaries of chance. With chess being the only wargame where pure talent actually wins out, I'm happy to say that I'm well past that sort of neediness now.

I don't think you understand what competitive means. Some of the games I've had the most fun playing are when I lose. Competitive players enjoy playing to the best of their ability and seek constant improvement, and there is no better way to notice an area to improve on then when you lose.

Sure they are people that are very poor losers but being a poor loser != a competitive player.