Rising Powers Primer - Masters

EricJ

Ok, you've seen the pictures, but while pictures are nice, in game terms, they don't say a whole lot of words. So I'm going to be giving up a few more secrets in this this thread.

New Masters!

Guild - C. Hoffman

Hoffman is the man behind the peacekeeper and the rest of the Guild constructs you'll be finding in this book, the Hunter, the Guardian, and the Watcher. But he is more than just a mechanic, his abilities are much more profound than that. He controls machines around him as easily as he would control his own hand, using them to attack, to protect him, and to move him. This is needed because the price for this power was a weakened and nearly useless physical body. As a result, when caught without machines around him, he has little abilities on his own.

Resurectionists - Kirai

Kirai found herself with little to live for after a tragic event, and no way to exact revenge...until she found in herself the ability to summon forth her Ikiryo, her living spirit, able to track down any enemy. With her powers developed with the help of Nicodem, she has discovered her profound connection and powers over the spirits that exist in Malifaux. She can give her life energy to call them to her, but in turn they also protect her and she can bend them to her will.

Arcanists - Colette

Colette leads the show, but is also a Soulstone Magician. Granted an artificial soulstone by Ramos himself, she knows many tricks to both use the powers of Soulstones, but also to charge them readily during battle. She's also granted many of her crew the knowledge of soulstones as well. Finally, she has learned some of the arts of bringing machines to life with Soulstone power, to serve her and her Showgirls.

Neverborn - The Dreamer

The Dreamer is a little boy who knows nothing of Malifaux. The Dreamer is a little boy who has found his best friend in his dreams, and named this friend Lord Chompy Bits, and he stomps around in his dreams crushing and smashing because it's fun! The Dreamer is a little boy with a very active imagination, who can dream up all types of scary friends to play with.

Outcasts - Hamelin the Plague

Hamelin woke up no longer feeling the same, he had been transformed by the power that overwhelmed him in the sewers. Surrounded by rats he is a plague on Malifaux, stealing their children, bringing plague and blight wherever he goes, and leaving nothing but hoards of rats behind.

That's the primer for the 5 new Masters presented in Malifaux Book 2: Raising Powers

Enjoy!

Nice read. Just a shame for me the Guild Master is a Construct guy, that's the only area I don't really like about the Guild. Ah well :P. I hope we get some nice options for the other subfactions in the new book though.

Kirai sounds like your basic Resser Crew summoning forth more minions to do their bidding. Spirits are a nice twist, as are the gorgeous models.

Might Colette's crew be the first non-Masters to have Use Soulstones? She sounds like a blast and I imagine she has a lot of indirect trickery instead of pure brute force.

The Dreamer is a wonderful concept. From the looks of the model (the kid on its shoulder) I guess he can shapechange into Lord Chompy Bits, by falling asleep or something. Sounds truly Neverborn and should look great in combination with Pandora's Crew.

And Hamelin turning into a Master, nice. Character evolution sounds cool, perhaps other models are getting new profiles as well (Avatar Pandora?). However, Ophelia is not mentioned, is she not a Master? It would have been nice to have another Master option for Gremlins.

-Ropetus

I'm pleased with those tidbits on Colette, always wondered why there weren't a master with the ability to recharge stones during the battle (more specifically when killing people).

My guess was that it'd be a guild master though.

Immediate impression of Hoffman is that he seems to be stepping a bit on Ramos' toes, but I will of course wait and see before I give any sort of final judgment.

I too am confused about what now seems to be a starter box with no master in it. But Henchmen you say.. Hmm.. From what I get every model (other than Ronin and probably not insignificant either) can be upgraded to a Henchman, so this is instead of Masters? Interesting.. :D

I hope I can say without breaching the NDA that Kirai is significantly different to what we Ressers are used to. She's quite refreshing. Truth be told she took some time getting the knack of, but when you do she's heaps of fun (for her controller anyway :D)

The fact that the Onryo are some of the nicest models I've ever seen is just icing on the severed head.

And Hoffman's a pain in the arse!

Edited by DangerousBeans

YES! My fav model is becoming a master, how exciting! I can't wait! He sounds fun.

It is interesting that the new Guild master is a construct person. I guess that's good because it means new options for Levi lol

Can't wait to hear about Henchman too. This is definitely an exciting time for Malifaux.

:party:

YES! My fav model is becoming a master, how exciting! I can't wait! He sounds fun.

It is interesting that the new Guild master is a construct person. I guess that's good because it means new options for Levi lol

Can't wait to hear about Henchman too. This is definitely an exciting time for Malifaux.

:party:

Haha I knew you'd be crazy for this.

Crap, this is all so exciting. Can't wait to see the book.

One question though. What will happen with the old Hamelin?

Will he still be playable?

Kind of strange to have both of them on one side at the same time.

I'm sure the "Unique" trait would prevent this from happening. Though 2 Hamelins running around together would be funny to see...

I'm sure the "Unique" trait would prevent this from happening. Though 2 Hamelins running around together would be funny to see...

Still strange, that other Masters will be able to hire a model that already is a master.

I'm sure Wyrdmen have found a clever solution to this, but I am a bit worried, as I haven't had a chance to play with my Hamelin (the minion) yet.

One of the Victorias is actually a Doppleganger that took to her.

(Which one? Who knows...)

BTW: What is Ophelia (the female Gremlin in the previews)? (Henchman or new Master?)

(Very) Random Thought--Maybe the Gremlins are going to be their own faction? As they are, they could either stay Outcasts or go their own way.

I await the new book to see...

Edited by Gremlin Swarm