How to Play Zoraida (Tactics)

Rathnard

So here's my take on Bad Ju-Ju. He's a big, bad, beatstick with some awesome pseudo-movement and durability.

My receipe for success with Bad Ju-Ju is:

1. Activate everything in your list other than Zorida. Your opponent should have a lot of models that have gone by this point as well.

2. Place Bad Ju-Ju 7" from one model that you do not like. He is summoned, and gains SLOW. Don't place him in charge range of anything.. hah.

3. Activate Zorida. Create Voodo doll of the model that you do not like. Obey it to walk into melee range of Bad Ju-Ju.

4. Bad Ju-Ju melees it. With Poison 2, you may be able to melee some models to death straightaway. Either way, if the model survives, next turn the model will not be in a position to charge, and will therefore have to focus his melee attack in order to cheat damage due to hard to wound 1. Unless he can bring more forces to bear, your mire golem is unlikely to die from just that.

5. If the opponent tries to reinforce his obey-stranded model in melee with the Mire Golem with a single model, see if you can activate Zorida and Obey that model into melee with the Mire Golem by charging and killing the other model from last turn. You'll be in the same situation of the other model going first before the Mire Golem, but you'll kill the first model and potentially another when the Mire Golem activates.

6. If the opponent does not reinforce his obey-stranded model, kill it with Bad Ju-Ju. Next turn, walk another dude over to Bad Ju-Ju for more poison and NOMs.

7. If they kill Bad Ju-Ju... He comes back and continues to be your beatstick.

The best way to counter this strategy using a slowish army is by clumping up, but that leaves the Zorida player able to pursue board objectives using fast moving Slurids and Zorida herself. Just the fact that you can pull this off is enough to mess with how the opponent positions his models and can dictate how he moves and in what order. When Bad Ju-Ju bites it, you functionally get to redeploy him. Oh yeah, and he's dead... But NOT insignificant. That can matter.

• Like 1

So a few things regarding the bad juju posts---

I think the action points gained from flurry all have to be used on one target, so no killing three models with landslide/flurry.

Also, does bad juju activate when you summon him, or is it one activation to summon, then another to move him?

So a few things regarding the bad juju posts---

I think the action points gained from flurry all have to be used on one target, so no killing three models with landslide/flurry.

Also, does bad juju activate when you summon him, or is it one activation to summon, then another to move him?

Hi, you can summon him instead of an activation and then activate him later in the turn (although he'll get slow). And you're right about Flurry - all against the same target :)

• 3 weeks later...
you've won me over on super juju going to have to assemble him now

Ha! At first I was thinking "what the hell, how did you know about Super-Juju?". Then I read your location. :rolleyes:

For those outside Perth; I've changed Bad Juju's name to "Super Juju". He seemed to be much more effective after the name change. :D

Anyway, It's time I updated this sucker. There's a few bits here and there that I've changed, Super Juju's section has been revised and there's some added info on the Mercs available to Zoraida. Nothing on book 2 yet - I probably need to actually play some games with them first!

and...updated!

This pretty much brings it in line with Book 1. Once I've spent some time with the book 2 minions I'll update it again, but I don't feel particularly qualified to write much on them yet.

Rathnard - we need more peeps like you on the East Coast...particularly the North.

Be careful what you wish for - it's looking like I might move to the Eastern states (preferably Bris-vegas) next year for work. ;)

and...updated!

This pretty much brings it in line with Book 1. Once I've spent some time with the book 2 minions I'll update it again, but I don't feel particularly qualified to write much on them yet.

Be careful what you wish for - it's looking like I might move to the Eastern states (preferably Bris-vegas) next year for work. ;)

Eastern states? Meaning East Cost United States?

Nice job on this Rathnard, I love it! Very well thought out and constructed

Edited by karn987

• 4 weeks later...

This is a sensational thread, and kudos to the OP for their diligence, generosity & wisdom. And to those who have followed in a similar vein.

Could the Powers That Be please sticky this to display it beside the two existing tacticas highlighted in the Neverborn section?

I have already committed to focusing on the wondrous Neverborn, but am now going to have to seriously contemplate making Zoraida my first crew.

Edited by oozeboss

• 2 weeks later...

hi rath, a quick question that i post elsewhere, i want to expand my zoraida`s crew but i am very thematic, i was waiting for models more bayou voodoo oriented and finally stitched together came along, do you think they are a good addition for her? thks in advance bro.

To be honest, I need more experience with the Stitched. I've only played one game with a stitched and he did okay, but I don't think I really got the best I could have out of him.

My initial impression of him is that hes great for gambling in conjunction with Zoraida, both to bewitch the target and spam-obey the stitched. The Creepy fog should make for some good mobile cover for protection from ranged as well.

Honestly, he's probably fine with Zoraida. I just really need to play him a few more times before I can really get a feel for them.

I recently tried the following Zoraida Crew:

Zoraida

Collodi (8)

Marionette(2)

2 Stitched Together(10)

Wicked Doll (3)

Zoraida would of course start with summoning a Vodoo Doll and begin harassing one enemy model. The rest of the crew stays together, Collodi gives Hard to kill to one stitched. The Marionette gets Collodi up front a little bit.

In turn 2, Zoraida starts to summon wicked Dolls, obeying your favourite prey and Collodi sets all the dolls to speed mode (Puppet show) and adds either "breathe life" or another "Filled with stones". You can than enjoy the stitched "gamble your life", stopping when you reach one wound (being save by hard to kill). The Wicked can then spend a healing flip, ensuring one attack isn't enough to finish you of. And if the enemy still kills you? Then you get to reactivate your Stitched, which is fast and perhaps melee expert (if you cast "breathe life").

You have enough SS to secure Collodi against most enemies, adding in the Marionette to take that hit you couldn't prevent. This list deals quite some damage, and the Dolls aren nearly as squishy as I first thought, as you opponent will most likely try to get rid of the stitched.

Give it a try and tell me what you think, it has proven quite viable in my games.

I don't have any experience with Jack Daw yet, as I have failed to see what makes him so good to blow 10SS on him.

The voodoo doll is summoned and thus you don't pay for it. The wicked dolls can either be bought or summoned by zoraida, so in this case they would be free.

Until the minis come out, I plan to use the little Dolls that come with Zoraida as wicked dolls.

Gottkaiser, thanks a lot for your quick reply, yeah jack daw is expensive, i have to balance to probably 2 hanged, another question, is rising powers my only source for wicked doll stats?

Well there are no models/cards and the 2nd book is the only place you will find it for now.

Im having a hard time seeing Jack draw in a Z list, but then agian i would have a hard time seeing jack draw in any list really. he is like Biship, loads of cool ablities but spending that meny points on one model and not have it be a killing machine is a hard one to call. I rarely see eather in a list, though i can see why they are good i still think both are over pointed by 2 or more SS.

Edited by TimeLapse

Jack Daw suits any list that has some sort of ranged punch and wishes to take down masters.

No cheating AND no Soulstone use?!

Catch something in the bubble and blast it all the way into the aether with your models standing outside.

Edit: With Zoraida?

You have her Cache as extra protection for Jack, but you'll be needing some sort of heavy hitter, which means you're probably burning too many SS already.

A question along similar lines:

While my Killjoy based Zoraida list is coming along nicely, I'm planning out my supporting lists (as Cancon 11 - January next year - is for 35ss faction based forces, for which 3 variant lists may be used).

With my 'shooting' list I am looking at:

Zoraida

Doppleganger (a non negotiable idiosyncracy, as she reminds me in form & character of an ex :bump:)

Convict Gunslinger

Remi Lacroix

Gremlin (common garden variety)

Jack Daw

I'm wondering whether Hans would be a better fit than Jack Daw, especially in regards to range & ability to shoot through cover?

Any thoughts?

Part of the appeal of the Doppla (besides bringing back memories, good & bad, which are not discussed with my wife :heeeellll) is that she can replicate whichever shooter's attributes I need most at any given time, not to mention providing me with a 3rd option for the casting of "Obey!".

On a separate note to the Admins of this site: this thread is a classic in both the quality of posting & generosity of spirit, so can it please be stickied?

And if he isn't already, can the bloke with the kinky pink script & Air My-Little-Pony in his sig be awarded Henchman status?

Both are long overdue.

• 5 weeks later...

How do people find taking Coppelius with Zorianda, I really love the model. Also if he works well I could start my Zorianda Crew by buying a Zorianda and a Dreamer starter crews. Which would give me 3 Slurid, Jack Daw, Bad Juju, 2 Stitched together and Coppelius to use with her. Stick a Voodoo doll on top and it seems a decent start.

Coppelius would be a good pick, actually. He can be obeyed, though you would only want to do so if he's already in something's face. The dude's got no charge speed, so you would either obey him to walk in and then get three attacks, or you could just get an extra attack after he moves in. An extra attempt at getting off paralysis is a good thing.

More to the point, you can leave him next to a living enemy, and use Big Z to Bewitch them. If they can't cheat that Terrifying 13 check, they're in trouble, as they take even more wounds when they fall back next to Copp.

Really, any model with (1) effects that can debilitate your enemy (or solid Strikes) is a good pick with Z. Obey allows you an extra chance to get that off.