How are we supposed to keep up with all the errata?

kbdrand

Ok, so I find myself hopeless confused when it comes to all the changes in the errata. Referencing the rulebook but then having to reference the errata in case there was a change (or memorize the errata) just doesn't seem like much of a fun option.

Is there any chance of a new version of the original rulebook being released at some point in the near future (maybe after book 2 is released) or possibly a pdf version of the rulebook we could purchase that includes all the errata?

I understand there are concerns about piracy with PDFs, but I think the ability to update them quicker than a physical book outweighs a lot of the concerns. Maybe even doing a Kindle or iBook version?

We do have a plan coming for Errata, the issue is that we are being careful not to jump the gun, as we want to be 100% sure we've caught what we want to catch to make sure there is not Malifaux 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, etc...which I promise would be FAR more confusing.

We'll be making updated stat cards available soon (which is about 75% of the errata), so you all will have that in official format. An updated rulebook is much further off, but we will be providing the compressed errata file for you all shortly, as the main rules errata is really only 3-4 pages once we separate out and make the updated official updated model rules available.

Thanks!

Eric

Aside from the above request, perhaps a quick start rules set that comes in the starter boxes (or the older GW approach of pre-formated print and paste book inserts to replace the errated items) might help with this.

Eric beat me to it! move along nothing to see here.

We do have a plan coming for Errata, the issue is that we are being careful not to jump the gun, as we want to be 100% sure we've caught what we want to catch to make sure there is not Malifaux 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, etc...which I promise would be FAR more confusing.

We'll be making updated stat cards available soon (which is about 75% of the errata), so you all will have that in official format. An updated rulebook is much further off, but we will be providing the compressed errata file for you all shortly, as the main rules errata is really only 3-4 pages once we separate out and make the updated official updated model rules available.

Thanks!

Eric

Easy fix and my vote once the errata is clean. You've already gone through the trouble of making i look nice. If it was formatted the same as the pages it needs to replace. People could print the pdf on sticker paper and correct their book.

Like what GW used to do with the cut and paste errata.

I don't think the errata is that bad. Yes there is a lot of it but you have to expect that with a small company.

It is a GOOD thing that so much errata is being put out. It means that Wyrd is supporting their product beyond the initial sale.

As for the amount of mistakes to begin with, well the only way to reduce those is to put more eyes on the copy before print and a small new company like Wyrd just doesn't have the extra time to do it in-house or the organization set up to do it through securely through play-testers.

I hope that Malifaux is successful enough (certainly seems to be from where I am) for Wyrd to be able to hire a couple more peeps and get the eyes/organization they need.

I don't think the errata is that bad. Yes there is a lot of it but you have to expect that with a small company.

It is a GOOD thing that so much errata is being put out. It means that Wyrd is supporting their product beyond the initial sale.

As for the amount of mistakes to begin with, well the only way to reduce those is to put more eyes on the copy before print and a small new company like Wyrd just doesn't have the extra time to do it in-house or the organization set up to do it through securely through play-testers.

I hope that Malifaux is successful enough (certainly seems to be from where I am) for Wyrd to be able to hire a couple more peeps and get the eyes/organization they need.

The initial rule set is always difficult. They have to make sure the rules function in all instances in a reasonable way as well as handling balance issues. Errata 2.0 should clear up the issues that come up in a year of playing. Future installments of Malifaux probably won't have any earth shattering rules additions or changes, so there should be, potentially, fewer issues. Going forward, hopefully it's all balance issues.

I look forward to Errata 2.0, and hopefully nothing beyond that :)

Yeah, I'm in this game for the long haul, cause it is brilliant. I'm glad they are so involved with their community and are working steadily to tweak and fix everything.

Congrats to them for the game taking off well, and as long as they keep this a wonderful game . . . then take all the time you need to make it work.

Just don't take to much time on those new stat cards . . . I want my fixed Levi :thumb:

Jmp_mydog thanks for the assist on the GW page layout recommendation, never thought to print them on full page adhessive paper (i just used paste on regular paper).

Yeah it works really nice. When PP screwed up one of their rule books they did full page stickers to fix the problem.

If you match the background texture it becomes almost unnoticeable.

It's also helpful to just include a errata chapter in any new books.

I just started Malifaux this past week and I can already tell that this game has staying power. This is especially true if Wyrd keep up with Errata like they have been. I say take all the time you need to get things right and continue to show the community that things are being worked on. I also think it is great that the company interacts with the community that it created. I can’t wait to see this game grow and I’m really excited to be a part of it in its "infancy."

Yes. There was another thread about this. They are going to offer the card sets for sale separately.

Awesome! I can't wait.

Also, I don't think the errata was too bad for keeping up with in terms of regular rules stuff, it's just the referencing the errata from the character cards that was a pain. Although, I haven't checked in a while, have they been adding new errata?

The cards will become available in the near future. Right now our plate is full, but its coming. Matter of fact, most of them have already reached the warehouse and are being changed out. They have not been made available for purchase as of yet as we're in the midst of a ton of work at the moment.

Version numbers are printed on the cards, this has been taken into consideration and yes, we are listening to y'all and yes, this has been addressed in a few other threads as well.

:)

The cards will become available in the near future. Right now our plate is full, but its coming. Matter of fact, most of them have already reached the warehouse and are being changed out. They have not been made available for purchase as of yet as we're in the midst of a ton of work at the moment.

Version numbers are printed on the cards, this has been taken into consideration and yes, we are listening to y'all and yes, this has been addressed in a few other threads as well.

:)

You guys rule. Best support from a miniatures company ever. ;)