Malifaux Rulebook Glue

Graysen

Hi Guys

Got my Malifaux rulebook 4 days ago, love it, have played a game already with a friend but the cover has come away from the book. The spine is perfectly intact. I'm not rough with books EVER! but it seems like a glue problem

Anyone else had this issue?

And have you had any luck with re-glueing it?

Mine stays complete after three weeks of almost constant usage, so it's probably a bad batch or something. And cover falling off is not so bad as the whole book un-gluing into separate sheets after one read-through, as was the case with FOW "OPEN FIRE" rulebook.

As long as the pages stick together you should be fine. Almost any kind of glue with somewhat rubbery properties should work. At least Loctite had some available I think. It was a normal superglue gel but it remained flexible after drying. You might want to clean the old glue off before that though.

My cover is looking a little rough around the edges, but the glue seems fine.

One option, which I'm considering even though my binding is fine, is taking your book to Kinko's or some other similar print/copy shop type place, and getting it coil bound. They'll chop off the spine, drill it, and then stick a plastic coil in. If you do this you can also get the covers laminated. I've done this with a number of gaming books over the years.

wiki link for reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_binding

There is also Comb Binding as an option, although not as good, imo.

Edited by ispep

First thing I did was get the book spiral bound. I would recommend it for any book you intend to leave opened flat for any amount of time.

Agreed.

I have Kinko's rebind all my rulebooks now days. Typically only $5 per book and it makes life so much easier as i can have it laying flat on the table without damaging the spince (or flopping closed).

Ugh.

Mine old one has been beaten up pretty badly and is fine.

I just got a shiny new one, though, so I may see this problem, too.

Make sure to email Nathan and give him the publication details, etc.

It is probably just a dodgey print run but they may be able to ask their printing house nicely to do a re-run or something.

Depending on their stock and costs you may even get a replacement.

Wyrd are fantastic about replacing minis, depending on the economics they may be able to manage a fresh book.

Personally, I'd rather bind the thing and save them the postage.

Having the rule book sitting open to a particular page is actually quite useful, especially with the Encounter set-up tables, takes up half as much room on the board, too.

Mine did the same thing, was coming off so I took mine to a print shop and had them cut the binding and put in a spiral bind. Now it's easier to use as I can fold it open and also lay it flat wide open.

Hey, I saw this binding and it looks great. My book is fine and I've been rough with it. If it ever comes apart I'll get the spiral binding.

Mine is fine but, as with all softcovers, if you leave it near a heat source or inside a car the pages will warp and the glue looses its hold. Also if left in too much cold certain glues will dry out loosing elasticity and all the book may fall apart. Spiral binding works great but i find the book looses sturdines and it wabbles in all directions. There are some book printers who will "hardcover" almost any softcover book.

I just wanted to stop in and let you know that I know Nathan has the email, and we're taking this issue very seriously, as we very much believe in releasing a high quality product. I believe the delay in reply has been so that we can try to figure out the extent of the problem.

With the books, we actually did not use glue, but choose the higher quality silicon binding, which never gets hard or cracks and should stay flexible indefinitely. To date we hadn't had any problems, and so we were very disappointed to hear that there may have been problems with the 2nd printing of the book. The good news is that we went through and randomly tested books from the stock we have on hand, and haven't found any with this same problem so far, so happily it does not seem to be a problem with the whole shipment.

With all that said, I am sure Nathan will be replying to you shortly, and I'll be sure to remind him to.

I do apologize for the problem though!

Eric