Varathar Dark Guardian.. Andrea's Big SOB

demonherald

Well here's my latest .. err .. mini????

did it for Salute bu it wasn't quite finished on the day .. and my feeble attempt at trying to inish at 8.a.m in the hotel room after a right good skinfull the night before didn't help ..

anyways here he is in a more finished state and time to move onto something else..

Larned a lot from this being my first 54mm piece and definitely acale I'm looking forward to exploring with a more reasonable sized mini.. The dino is bloody massive.....

anyways any critique much appreciated.

varathar.jpg

As you can see even at this scale I couldn't resist having fun with the base using all manner of bits to give an old woodland feel. Silfor Grass and Moss tufts rock as do Plus model leaves in 1:32 scale ..

The water was done with deluxe materials after first building up a suitably underwater type scene and was the same process as my Golem article in Wyrd Chronicles volume 1 .

Rob,

If you have an airbrush use it on the grass and moss. The figure is so beautifully painted and the mossy bits are all monochrome. You are relying on natural lighting to shade them. Go at them with a little dark brown watered way down in an airbrush to add a bit of shading and variation.

It will add a huge amount to the realism of your pieces. Also, grasses are rarely, if ever, one color all the way from the base of the shaft to the top. A touch of airbrushing will give that look and the grass will no longer look like it was just slapped in there.

Other then that I don't have much. Absolutely beautiful!

cheers Guys... The grass stuff has lost a bit in pics and is actually 3 different colours per clump and is shaded with powders.... I haven't got an airbrush currently but will give one a run later in the year as budget allows as particularly with these larger piecs it will be a great help...

The mossy bits are a bit monochrome and I will have a play wth them next time I use them .. In the flesh it's not so bad because a certain amount of the work is done by natural light but on the pics it really levels out.. Any suggestions on the moss r.e toning it... It's really really dense stuff and didn't take the powders or paint...

If you haven't got any already I can send you some TBK to have a play with and see what you can do to add some nuances in there..would definitely be useful.

cheers Guys... The grass stuff has lost a bit in pics and is actually 3 different colours per clump and is shaded with powders.... I haven't got an airbrush currently but will give one a run later in the year as budget allows as particularly with these larger piecs it will be a great help...

The mossy bits are a bit monochrome and I will have a play wth them next time I use them .. In the flesh it's not so bad because a certain amount of the work is done by natural light but on the pics it really levels out.. Any suggestions on the moss r.e toning it... It's really really dense stuff and didn't take the powders or paint...

If you haven't got any already I can send you some TBK to have a play with and see what you can do to add some nuances in there..would definitely be useful.

I'd be happy to Rob.

I'll PM you my address and I am certain I can squeeze in some work on something like this. Chances are they are perfect for a project I am working on right now anyway.

I've done some shading with some really fine flock that has been glued down with the airbrush. I made sure that the paint consistency was almost a wash to begin with. It's time consuming because like a wash it can take multiple applications to get the look you want.

Anyway. PM is on the way.

Fantastic!

When you say "deluxe materials' for the wtaer, is that a brand, or do you just mean that you only use the fanciest of wares?

What did you think of 54mm? After years of 28/32mm, I thought it would be somewhat easier, but it seems to have its own set of difficulties. Mutant Chronicles CMG aside, I've only done the scale once, but since I find a lot more stuff that fits my thematic style in 54mm/1:35 than I do in 28/32mm, I've been toying with working in it a lot more. (Side note- I've got a killer GenCon idea in 54mm, and when I get started on it, I'll likely be hitting you up via PM for painitng advice.)

This might be one of the most amazing pieces I have seen. It both inspires and terrifies me to try a grandiose project like this. I would have loved to been a fly on the wall during the work on this just to really observe the processes and techniques that went into it. Just stunning work.

cheers Guys ..

@ Bexley .. Yes it's the brand deluxe materials... The resin I use most purely because it doesn't have any nasty fumes or other effects which with a 4 year old about I have to be careful. As for 54mm definitely a sizeI like working in but as you say has it's own difficulties.. The biggest was hit upon during an email with Anders... there are absolutely no short cuts.. every buckle stitch and button has to be given full treatment and leather requires a lot more work...Also natural light affects the colours you use.. Red in my usual style for instance looked way too pink ..

I have another 54mm piece cleaned and based ready to paint and my first 75mm piece is mid clean .. (a mayan warrior by Pegaso) hopefully in time for Euromillitaire but I have GD and a few other projects before then..

Incidentally Them there Smart max guys have hit a very nice happy medium.. knd of 48-50mm and that seems to be the perfect scal for me but unforunately not many minis around in that scale..

Again cheers for the compliments guys..I'm working on getting some better pcs sorted but my Laptop is like a snail on dope at the moment.

meh!

:)

Great stuff Rob. Was a treat as usual listening to you beat yourself about the head because of the casting issues with this beasty. Turned out lovely in the end. The base is a winner on its own and the dino's skin looks so convincing.

Good stuff, now stop typing and get painting!!

Nigel