2022 Monthly Painting Challenge - July

Shock & Awe

Welcome to the back 9, or the downhill slide... whichever idiom fits your fancy ;)

Let's keep plugging along, and hopefully it's not as hot on your end of the world as it is here in Japan... where everyday feels like a sauna :( 

If you are new to the challenge and what to know the ins and outs - Everything you need to know for the Challenge is right HERE.

For all our regular contributors, make sure you've submitted your SS counts for the previous two months in the Google Form. Remember, @Gheist and I are not going to enter them for you ;)

For our Masterclass topic: 

Pictures -

1. how do you take them?
  2. Do you prefer high profile, or low (white background vs. black)
  3. What is your camera setup? 
  4. Any and all details into what you do and what you look for in a good mini pic

- Shock & Awe

Hallöchen again!

We are melting in Hungary due to a 40°C heatwave and a drought, so just the usual summer weather. Perfect reason to stay inside a dark room and paint!

I'll try to get some more done in July as I'll continue with the Qi and Gong brigade for my partner. I will also touch up Chiyo a little, although won't count her into the challenge but her lack of contrast really annoys me now. :D

Just so we have a pic, here's my the "bin" where I can choose the crew from for this month:

Regarding the masterclass, although I just got to "proper" miniature photography (which is nowhere proper yet):

1. I have an IKEA lamp with a 6000K lightbulb (possibly visible from space) and a small magnifying LED lamp that I use. It gives awesome bright, white light, whereas the little lamp makes features softer. Sometimes I use a phone flashlight as well if I need warmer light, but usually these two are enough. I usually do a soft light balance retouch in Lightroom on my phone.

2. I think I prefer high profile backgrounds for now, as the whiteness pops the figures more. I have yet to get proper nice backdrops in the future, right now I use a plain A4 sheet of paper, bent and glued to my painting stand (a cough balm bottle) and the lamp.

3. I take photos with a Xiaomi phone, so whatever it can offer. I usually use the macro setting and play around with the light balance until it's right. I plan to get a proper camera in the future sometime, but currently it's not a prio.

4. I look for clarity on the figure, preferably on the face if it has one or a focal centerpoint of it - similar to portrait photography, ex. from back, I focus on the shoulder of the character or whatever popping feature. This makes the picture believable. Good, WHITE light is important, as yellow light taints the paintjob and does not give back true colors. Other than that, it all depends on the model itself. :D I also enjoy WIP photos, so people can get a glimpse into other people's slice of creative life, but it really depends on what you want to do with your minis. If you wanna showcase, I prefer backdrops and sharpness. If you want personality and the over-the-shoulder-look, I'm all for WIPs and table-mess.

• Like 2

reporting in for July! I will be working on some more Explorers Society models - finishing my Nexus Models (I just have Nexus kids, 3 Spelleaters and Cavatica to go). After that i'll work on some of the versatile models i have - Intrepid Emissary and Effigy, Vernon and Welles and hopefully some Botanists! Plus I'll be finishing off my web markers that i started in June.

I got some catching up to do since i botched my Pandora 2 in june... 🤬

Also going to proceed with Dorian to finish the WOE keyword (again...). Then hopefully I might have some time left to go back to Dreamer and his gang. They really are proving to be a true nightmare (... to finish😆

I will continue with the vermin this month :) Let's see how much I'm able to do in July. I will also paint new Dreamer (actually x2 as I'm painting one for a buddy too).

painters-challenge-july2022-wip0.jpg

As for pics - will write more once I'm taking some to show my setup. 

• Like 1

July has facing me several challenges Timewise, not least of which is cataloguing (?) my 40K Collection to sell them off and make Room for more Terrain, so i can hold 12 man Tournaments in my garden without borrowing stuff

I'll be either painting Zipp and his Crew or Rest of Oni and/or all the titles that are starting to build a little group of their own on my desk.

I have built primed and based all of my Malifaux Minis.

I have two Outcast, Two Explorer and 1 1/2 Thunders Keywords to go before completing all three factions.

I Hope i can call it quits after and stay with those factions to focus more on Tournaments and Community Building.

Probability is i start Bayou though

Have a nice one everybody

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hawkoon said:

This will probably be my last post this month before i go on vaccation. I did manage to get my mulligan back with Pandora 2, and here's the final model for the entire WOE keyword!

20220711_195244.thumb.jpg.f249838d8b9ff265db2bfd3cffc5dfa8.jpg

With all mye woes behind me it's time to pile up the nightmares... (pun intended!)

20220711_195408.thumb.jpg.a1a0863375de60d4d4dcc64e6952b4e9.jpg

Whats the bottom Mini?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gheist said:

Whats the bottom Mini?

One of the Bearly Togethe. Stitched Together Special editions/proxies. The other 2 from the set are individual bears but the third is the little baby bear swarm (and is an absolute nightmare to assemble)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TimH said:

One of the Bearly Togethe. Stitched Together Special editions/proxies. The other 2 from the set are individual bears but the third is the little baby bear swarm (and is an absolute nightmare to assemble)

That it is. I still need to finish the bases of the two big brothers.

20200124_221832.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Month is halfway done and I am buried under of a ton of work. 

But at least Bill is coming along nicely (excuse the mess), he just needs some highlighting on his straw hat, his cape done and some pupils and then I can cash him in:

I am trying to pay more attention to proper skintones and nice blending. I probably should eventually start NMM, too...

All of you did an amazing job, I marvel at the talent present in this community and hope that I can reach this level once! :D 

• Like 8

Hi there!   I'm very behind schedule hobbywise this month, i was going to pledge 2 scavengers, that will jump to the august challenge, because this month i'm going to work on the summer painting contest entry.

about the pictures:

I think i've shared it a couple of times already, but I'll do it again 

I go with black bg most of the time, i use a black tshirt, laid upon an open laptop.

The lighting comes from my hobby lamp in most of the cases, or i use 2 lamps with white cloths laid over the bulbs to soften the light, when i want a more "pro" setup, or in the rare occasions I take pictures with a white background.

I use my phone to take the pics, and adjust the zoom and exposure while taking the picture.

Later on I edit the picture in this way:
1- crop so the mini is centered as i want
2a- for black bg:, add a vignete effect that darkens even more the edges of the pic
2b- there's a "black point" option on the edit that makes the blacks darker, i increase this a little bit so the texture of the tshirt almost disappears, but doesn't mess the colors on the mini (as a reference it goes from -100 to +100 and i don't think i've ever went past 8 or 10)
3a- for white bg definitely no vignete effect, and I also play with the edit and try to remove or minimize the projected shadows in the background.  This is 100 times more difficult than the black bg edit tho, and you have to be extra careful that the colors on the mini don't get messed up... 😕

Here's a picture of the "pro" setup:

bgoy3vF.jpg

• Thanks 1

After a disastrous June where I just about made it with the commitment (a Botanist), I am firing on all cylinders this month! After playing one game with Ivan I was inspired to get the Umbra side of the Keyword done, presenting Mr Mordrake, a Brocken Spectre, 2 Daevas, and 2 Nocturne. 

XMMSl00.jpg 

I was originally going for shadows and grey, but then I got hooked on purple and decided to lean into the colour! More to come (hopefully!)

• Like 9

Lovely work @Kogan Style those Umbra models look amazing- I'm a big fan of the purple/blue combo!

I've finished my Botanists- I have to say that I didn't particular enjoy painting these- wondering if anyone had the same experience? I think it was to do with the type of plastic- so much of the detail was slightly off on the model. Anyway, I bashed through them. My favourite is the gremlin!

large.20220719_220054.jpg.24c60c4c192c6edcf5b32e0f636b3f98.jpglarge.20220719_215928.jpg.557a5a65deb1fba9c6b0345edd6332c5.jpglarge.20220719_220030.jpg.d0829337c8e8d2ea3d52c1ba9ef576e2.jpg

• Like 9