You are invited to the 2022 Malifaux Painting Challenge!

Shock & Awe

Fellow players, painters, and all around Wyrdos... yup, you. We’d like to invite you to take part in the 2022 Malifaux Painting Challenge!

I am Shock & Awe, and Gheist and I will be hosting the 2022 Challenge, which will be starting on January 1st, 2022; the Challenge is all about:

1. Having fun painting!
  2. Motivating yourself, and encouraging others.
  3. Being part of a great, friendly community.
  4. Giving and receiving constructive advice. And, finally:
  5. Getting some pigment onto plastic!

This isn’t a competition. It’s a way of giving and receiving encouragement, and showcasing your painting, with the end goal of getting those beautiful miniatures ready for the board.

All Wyrd-related miniatures are welcome, as is terrain.

The Challenge is open to absolutely every painter, regardless of skill. You are welcome here.

A model will be considered painted if it is (1) based (even glued onto a black base counts); (2) tournament legal. That means that if it's a translucent, based model, it counts automatically. If it is any opaque material, then the standard is: Every part of the miniature painted, and three colours minimum. If you can manage that, then you can paint!

The new challenge post is HERE for you to make your first pledge.

However, we’d love for you to put your name down here, if you’d like to take part, and get in touch with your gaming network, and let them know they are invited!

If you’ve taken part in the Challenge before, please do share your thoughts and encouraging words for those thinking of taking part!

We hope to see you in January!

- Shock & Awe / Gheist

• Like 3

I'll kick us off then. 

My name is Shock & Awe here in Wyrd-land and I'm a California born man living in Yokohama, Japan. No, I'm not in the military. I get that question... well, a lot. 

Malifaux was my first ever wargame, and my first experience painting anything, so it's been a real uphill climb.. but I've loved every second of it. 

I am much more of a hobbyist to wargaming (meaning I love the building/painting aspect a bit more than playing the game) but that also has to do with a complete lack of people to play with in my area. If anyone has the patience to teach me how to play on Vassal, I'd love to get an actual game in. 

I started off as a Guild player, then dabbled in TT before finding the love of my life in Neverborn. 

My aim for this year is to complete my Neverborn collection and get them all painted up. 

I'm also in the midst of the tail end of my doctoral studies... so I may disappear from time to time! 

Looking forward to meeting all of you and seeing all the wonderful stuff that gets painted this year! 

I'll be pledging Master level this year.

• Like 5

I'll continue with telling a bit about myself.

My name is Philipp but on all things concerned you will reach me on all media channel under "brushgit".

Located in northern germany I am trying to infect as many people as I can with the virus called Malifaux and grow a healthy breeding p... ehm "hobby sphere" in and around Hamburg.

Started this journey from a painters perspective, quickly falling in love with so many models of the Malifaux range. After not heeding any warning calls and going purely by the rule of cool I quickly amassed three different core boxes from three different factions (mah, cooper, sonnia). Listening to Malifaux Podcasts made me wanting more Gremlin goodness so I also got brewie and grab a keyword that I found completely uninteresting model-wise but the fluff just grabbed me - Perdita. (Watched the "how-to-play video from T&G).

At that point of time I convinced some hobby friends to grab a core-box of their own and started playing my first games (I still dunno why EVERYONE grabs Misaki ...) and boy is that game great.

Where was I ... Oh right - just recently finished my witch hunter backlog, almost done with my apex one and actively working on my mercenaries while ignoring the whispering calls from a complete based and primed "big-hat" keyword in my drawer.

January will start with finishing mercenaries and start with the rest of my tri-chi keyword. The resolution for the new year is to finish my whole backlog before getting my hands on Yan-Lo or Ulix, therefore I pledged Tyrant Level

Looking forward to meet you all and maybe have a couple of Vassal rounds

• Like 5

I'm Terry, located in Connecticut these days, but originally from Hawaii.

I've been playing Malifaux since around the second book of m1e and tabletop games since the early 90s. I haven't been painting much that whole time, and have relatively few painted models (especially after selling off my High Elves and Eldar), but I enjoyed getting progress done in 2021, and almost have the Oni keyword completely painted (then I can finally batch base them).

I'm probably going to focus on a mix of Ten Thunders, Arcanist, Bayou, and maybe Neverborn, whichever hits my fancy and is on my painting table, possibly with some focus on getting painted for local events.

I've been doing 95% contrast paints, so one of my personal challenges will be to incorporate some regular paints and the related manual shading and highlighting that comes with using those.

• Like 6

Hi all! I'm Kogan Style or Adam on the Other Side and I'm based in Oxford, England. 

I've been playing games for too long and jumped through the breach way back when M1e was out and loving the Pandora Battle train; before switching to Ressurs and painting the entire faction (back in the "metal" era). In 2e I switched up and played TT and painted that faction too before work got too hectic and I couldn't devote evenings to Vassal nor weekends to competitive faux. 

I have always been a gamer first, wanting to paint but never truly pleased with the results. I have recently rejoined 3e and the community  and want to improve my painting first over winning games, taking inspiration from the likes of Trovarion  Miniatures youtube channel and trying to tell a story with each miniature I paint. With that in mind I have set myself a condition that I can only play painted, and each box must be finished before cracking open the next one!

Scrolling through the factions I knew I didn't want to repaint Ressurs or TT, and it was Cadmus that caught my eye (or is Cadmus using my eyes? 🤔) so its off to the Explorer Society  I go!

Given I paint infrequently currently, I am pledging Enforcer level this year. Looking forward to completing the challenge alongside you all.

• Like 8

Hello hello, I am wobbly_goggy (or variations thereof) AKA Andres, from Bristol, UK, living in Galicia, Spain. 

I was persuaded to try Malifaux by Mr. @Kogan Style when we were disillusioned with everyone's favourite games behemoth, and I fell in love with the original taxidermist and Som'er (my first minis). Throughout M2 I collected nearly all the (then) Gremlins faction as well as a bunch of other masters that took my fancy. Now he's inspired me to `paint up some of my Malifaux toys and join this challenge again.

I suck at gaming as my above-mentioned friend can attest, and in my current location and work situation, gaming is somewhat difficult, so I've regressed to my 16-year old self and paint more regularly than anything else.

Recently back for M3 (just a couple games in), I want to clear my backlog of unpainted minisand then perhaps dip my toe in the Explorers' Society because they look lush! 

As I have a bunch of other projects on the go, I am going for minimum pledge, but I REALLY hope I'll be getting more games of Malifaux in in 2022!

• Like 8

Caedrus, reporting in!

I'm a painter and gamer from Newcastle, Australia. I've been playing games for a very long time, and painting, on-and-off, for about twenty years. It's my pleasure to be part of this Challenge, and I want everyone to know that I'm 100% happy to receive critiques, answer questions, and give advice (for what modest skills I have)!

I'll be painting at a Tyrant level, with 21+ Soulstones per month. In 2022, I'll be finishing off my Outcasts, and then making a start on the green guys! Wish me luck!

See you in 22!

Caedrus.

• Like 8

Hey, Russ here in SE England.  Armchair Malifaux player & crony of @Kogan Style & @wobbly_goggy

Have played games forever, realised I was fighting a losing battle against sometimes up to 17 systems/factions on my radar; have toned it down & Malifaux has been my main game for a few years (although I have struggled to get enough  regular & frequent games in to show any progress in that time; kids & jobs...).

So 2022 is the year; not only shall I commit to 21ss a month painted, I'm also going to set myself a target of 52 games of Malifaux.

Let's see how that goes...

• Like 6

Oh Jeez late to the Show,

My name is Hagen, i am sitting in Bochum , Germany, you'll find me under Gheist on the Forums and i have the Honour to Co-Host 2022's incredible Malifaux Painting Challenge.

I play Miniwargames for over twenty years with my first love being Battletech and my last love being Malifaux since i think 2018?

I am actively trying to promote the growth of Malifaux in my region and hope that the windows of oppurtinity to spread Malifaux get better in the coming years, as some planned promos had to be cancelled this year. So far you find some of our efforts under TheHiddenBreach on Youtube.

I will try to finish both my Explorer Society and my Outcasts next year, which would be a very solid achievement for me as there are still 8 Crews to go (but no versatiles anymore, thank god)

Let's do this....

• Like 7

My name is Maciej, I'm from Poland. I used to play Warhammer Fantasy as a teenager and then 40k right after graduating from university.

In past few years I transferred to Malifaux completely, falling in love with beautiful models and awesome system. Also, painting is my favourite aspect of the hobby and I realised it is much more realistic to beautifully paint a skirmish crew, than to do the same with 200 Tyranids!

My main and favourite faction is Bayou, but with majority of this collection done I'm looking into Neverborn. I'm also painting for my girlfriend who is into the Arcanists and Explorer's Society. 

These are my main goals for 2022: 

1. Jedza's crew.

2. Winter themed table.

3. Dreamer's crew. 

• Like 5