Malisaurus Rex

captaingrizz

Most of the time you want to stick him into the fray first thing to bog down your opponent the territorial trigger. Fine if it works.

Even better if you can get some value out of the Crow Aura from wild hunt (which is more useful to guarantee into thorns with Titania than anything else)

The Melee Attack is mandatory for the Cost of the Model, so nothing special there to be honest.

But: He dies seriously fast. He is Height 4 so everything with a gun can and will fire at him and the defense is so poor they almost always hit (i once shot him down with an operative who got lucky on the dmg flips). His only defense is Terrifying and both his crews do nothing to support him there

Anything that has min 3 or (god forbid) ruthless (or both) will kill him very very fast and there go all your stones.

+++ Looks awesome on the Table, which is the reason i field him. Works good in friendly games. If your opponent seriously knows what he's doing you can get more worth out of the emissary for the same points in both Crews to be honest +++

6 minutes ago, Gheist said:

cannot be moved on the trigger doesn't really mean that it cannot move by itself

Unfortunately it appears it does, at least without an explicit ruling to the contrary.

There's many ways of wording it to have it operate otherwise ("cannot be moved by other models" would be one).

The way it's written, while not 100% clear, requires a very nuanced reading of "moved" as an external source, that isn't really part of the Malifaux syntax.

22 minutes ago, Morgan Vening said:

Unfortunately it appears it does, at least without an explicit ruling to the contrary.

There's many ways of wording it to have it operate otherwise ("cannot be moved by other models" would be one).

The way it's written, while not 100% clear, requires a very nuanced reading of "moved" as an external source, that isn't really part of the Malifaux syntax.

If the whole world agrees, i'll conform. I get what you are saying, and thus amend what i said to: The RAW could get some love then next time explorers cards are touched, because :A lot of  people seem to think that it's not the greatest model for its points but agree to interpret that passage in the worst possible way for the model. Because against some crews , this transforms it into a piece of terrain unless you have initiative ... which doesn't strike me as intentional.

The thing is that it would take something like “If this model would be moved, it’s controller can choose for it not to be” to be perfect.  But if they don’t make Laugh Off or Plant Roots perfect like that, why would they make Territorial perfect?

Note that “cannot be moved by enemy effects” would not prevent your model being Obeyed to Walk, or a friendly model being Obeyed to push you.  The “when you move, you are being moved (even if you’re the one doing the moving)” while it might surprise you isn’t a secret interpretation.

He's good in a Titania crew (with Marcus as second master it could be gross). It's not just a 2 AP beater. His bonus is quite good to move your models around.

Hard to wound + terrifying + a lot of wound and self heal on his attack means you have to invest a couple of AP to kill him (even with a min 3 beater). If he has external healing support he can be quite resilient.

He will die eventually... and than you bring him back with Gorar and score your point of Hidden Martyrs.

I'll avoid him in a vendetta pool though since he's a great target. 

1 hour ago, SEV said:

He's good in a Titania crew (with Marcus as second master it could be gross). It's not just a 2 AP beater. His bonus is quite good to move your models around.

Hard to wound + terrifying + a lot of wound and self heal on his attack means you have to invest a couple of AP to kill him (even with a min 3 beater). If he has external healing support he can be quite resilient.

He will die eventually... and than you bring him back with Gorar and score your point of Hidden Martyrs.

I'll avoid him in a vendetta pool though since he's a great target. 

It can be durable if your opponent has no ruthless/crappy handcards/badluck ---> i just feel unless you want DINOSAUR you have better options in the 10 SS Beater/Tank Slot.

1 hour ago, solkan said:

The thing is that it would take something like “If this model would be moved, it’s controller can choose for it not to be” to be perfect.  But if they don’t make Laugh Off or Plant Roots perfect like that, why would they make Territorial perfect?

Note that “cannot be moved by enemy effects” would not prevent your model being Obeyed to Walk, or a friendly model being Obeyed to push you.  The “when you move, you are being moved (even if you’re the one doing the moving)” while it might surprise you isn’t a secret interpretation.

Interpretation is what it is though ---> It might also be down to me being no native english speaker. or not thinking hard enough about the text of the cards most of the time, but it is always very enlightening to watch other people play malifaux (for example world Series) or talk with them about rules. i always find things that i would have never read that way while everyone else goes "yeah totally obvious"

5 minutes ago, Gheist said:

It can be durable if your opponent has no ruthless/crappy handcards/badluck ---> i just feel unless you want DINOSAUR you have better options in the 10 SS Beater/Tank Slot

This is true for most models... They have a weakness (in this case Ruthless) and they are vulnerable to bad flip and bad hand...

IMO this is not a reason to not hire them if they bring an interesting package to your crew.

My argument about Rex is that it brings enough to a Titania crew to justify his cost in a lot of matchup (don't bring him in a heavy scheme marker pool, against obey master or a ton of ruthless models).

I can speak about Apex since I'm not playing ES...

Yeah against obey masters it seems to be a no go :D learned a thing oday

I always had fun bringing him to the table, he had some star tagteam moments with model 9 where they ate some backline pretty fast.

Otherwise it's the distraction Carnifex for your opponent to worry about while you bring cooper into position (and he can nudge cooper into position). You can actually make him impossible to wound with ullrs aura and if you stack the Emissary on top it can get pretty wild. By then nobody is protecting cooper anymore so it only works against less mobile keywords.

I feel like in both keywords, if pressured, i would take the emissary for both Keywords , or the hooded Rider instead of the Malisaurus, because they provide better tanking capabilities / Mobility   ---> if i had to make a competitive choice. Which i don't so i just bring the dinosaur most of the time