Terrain sets that work well for Malifaux?

Maniacal_cackle

I'm putting together my Christmas wishlist, and thinking of getting a terrain set rather than more crews. Any suggestions on stuff that works well for Malifaux?

Features that would be nice include durability, good price, pre-painted, good material, easy-to-store, and general ease of use (can't get all of those things in one product, of course!) Also quite want something that themes well together, so the whole battlefield feels like a cohesive whole. Any suggestions?

Some stuff I like the look of so far:

• Battle Systems (especially the fantasy stuff). A bit generic and not the best material ever, but pretty great look overall.
  • TTCombat Streets of Venice - a bit more work to put together and requires painting, but pretty amazing theme!
  • Terraclips -wowza! Those are some of the coolest pre-built boards I've seen, but unfortunately I think these are out of print.

Any other suggestions for stuff I should be looking at?

• Like 1

If you're the lazier sort, Battlefield in a box is a nice solution for forests and rivers.  They even come pre-painted.  Of course, it's more expensive.  The stuff is quality and looks nice, though the rivers can be spruced up with a little effort if you're into it.

There's always the old PlastCraft Malifaux line.  I love the Carnival sets, and the Quarantine Walls or the walkway sets can be fun to change it up.  All pre-painted, and the material is more sturdy than it seems.

Sarissa-Precision has several nice MDF product lines, though none are pre-built or painted.

I know you said you wanted something that themes well together, and most boards (including most of mine) are composed similarly.  Though in my case, that's mostly because of the way terrain is sold, so like ends up being with like.  But I'd make a pitch for getting stuff that isn't thematically connected.  One description of the city of Malifaux is something like "all the world's capitals shuffled together."  I think you could make quite a nice, thematic set up that included a wider range of architectural styles.

Finally, if you don't already have them, I'd make a pitch for the Wyrdscapes.  Quality-wise they're nice, aesthetically only the Solarium (and maybe the mansion) really impresses me, but mostly I know Wyrd won't make more if we don't buy more!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LeperColony said:

There's always the old PlastCraft Malifaux line.  I love the Carnival sets, and the Quarantine Walls or the walkway sets can be fun to change it up.  All pre-painted, and the material is more sturdy than it seems.

Oh, do you know of places that sell those? One of the links I gave above was to some of those old PlastCraft Malifaux lines, but I was under the impression they were out of print/hard to find.

EDIT: also, thanks for all the input!

• Like 1

Reliably the only source is ebay, but that doesn't always mean high prices.  If you stay alert, you can find what you need at a decent price...eventually.  

One trick I've used in the past is Google searches using the SKU or, if appropriate, ISBN number.  You can find a lot of smaller hobby store inventories that way.  Of course, those stores are sometimes lackadaisical about inventory updating so there's a lot of false positives.  But if you're hunting for OOP items, it's mostly a function of converting money into time (or vice versa).

I would say that their other PlastCraft lines can still be nice.  There's a Japanese-themed line made for Test of Honor I believe (or maybe Bushido), but it works for Malifaux too.  

Companies are starting to make terrain for RPGs like D&D that can be effective for Malifaux.  There's a graveyard set for the RPG Pathfinder that I use frequently.  

Now, if you're willing to go premium and you like painting, I wholeheartedly recommend Tabletop World.  Their lines are very high quality resin buildings.  They have kind of an indistinct late medieval/renaissance aesthetic which isn't what you'd probably want for the entire board, but individual pieces like the Stables (which I own) definitely works.   

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LeperColony said:

One trick I've used in the past is Google searches using the SKU or, if appropriate, ISBN number.  You can find a lot of smaller hobby store inventories that way.  Of course, those stores are sometimes lackadaisical about inventory updating so there's a lot of false positives.  But if you're hunting for OOP items, it's mostly a function of converting money into time (or vice versa).

Lol, this is exactly what happened with Seamus avatar. Hunted down one for ages, finally found one, and turned out they hadn't updated xD

All these are awesome suggestions, I'm browsing around those sites now. Thanks!

• Like 1

All of the Wyrdscape stuff is nice, but in my opinion given the line's expense, only the Solarium and the Mansion really feel special.

Ruins and walls?  I think you can get comparable pieces elsewhere, cheaper.  The store?  Again, it's fine, but not unique.

That being said, I do intend to complete my collection.  But most of the sets are fairly low priority for me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

Gloomburg from Warcradle looks a good fit thematically, although I can't speak to the quality.

I'm loving Warcradle Scenics stuff. I have the new Gloomburg sprawl set that I am still assembling and the Dunsmouth set. Both are pretty nice. Dunsmouth in particular comes with a lot of stuff. If you don't mind a more American Southwest/steampunk fell the Rio Sonorio sets are nice. They just released those individually, though the set is a better deal.

I like their stuff as while you have to assemble it, it's better than most MDF sets since they do have some color pieces. Looks better with no painting needed, but can really look good with a little paint. 

The only problem is finding them. I've had a hard time tracking them down. Wayland games carries them (I think Warcradle is their line?). Noble Knights carries it too. Not sure of where you are though. 

https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/gloomburg/76702-gloomburg-sprawl-set?search_query=warcradle+scenics&results=134

https://scenics.warcradle.com

10 hours ago, Butch said:

I love the sets from 4ground. I have some from TT-Combat. These are good, but you have to paint them. The mdf sets from 4ground come painted and look quite good out of the box.

I'd second 4Ground as well. Similar to Warcradle - just look for the multi-color pieces not plain MDF. 

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

Oh, I have the Battlesystems stuff too. Battle ground set, mostly for the ruined cathedral. It's nice, but is very light and can shift easily. I'm not sold on taking it apart and putting it back together either. See myself leaving it together. 

Mostly good, though a bit tricky to put together well. If you don't use a marker to line the edges I find it a bleh. Still, great for the roads and lakes, smaller pieces and solid buildings are good. The bridges are great. I don't care for the ruined buildings. Tend to tip a bit too much for me. 

If you have time to assemble, its pretty good value for the money. Not sure about longevity yet. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Alcathous said:

Is there a substantial scale difference between their 28mm and 32mm lines?

I don't recall them being so, but it's been a while since I've seen their 32mm stuff. The 28mm stuff is just about perfect imo. Maybe a little small if you look too close at details, but that makes it much more playable on the table. I have Curse of Dead Man's hand and that is always a blast to play on the table. Might pick up a train set from them for sale going on now. 

If you want really playable interiors though, the 32mm will probably be better. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Mr. Crows said:

I found a cool maker called Black Site Studios. They are based in the US though, I know alot of people on here are in the UK. They have a fantasy line called "knighthaven" which  I think looks pretty cool. Fair price, pre-painted MDF kits: https://blacksitestudio.com/knighthaven/

Oh, I forgot about them. They have some nice stuff, though I haven't bought any just yet. Their RelicBlade set looks interesting. Right now a lot of stuff is out of stock, hopefully they get a restock soon. I'm hoping my wife gets me their Don't Look Back game mostly for that sweet cabin terrain (though the game looks interesting too). 

• Like 1

Wayland Games has the Dunsmouth set in stock again. It's a great set of terrain. 

https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/dunsmouth/72965-dunsmouth-dock-set

It was a lot easier to put together than the Gloomsburg set I'm finishing up now. I'm hoping to take some pics later this week and post a quick review. The Gloomburg set is very nice with a lot of detail, but much more difficult to assemble. Also, much larger footprint buildings. 

I'm trying to track down the Rio Sonora set now as I really some of those buildings. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone looking I ordered the Rio Sonoro set from Watrcradle Scenics from this site. They seem to have the other two sets as well. 

https://www.philibertnet.com/en/mythos/86312-mythos-dunsmouth-dock-set-2100000681983.html?search_query=warcradle&results=27

Best price I've seen for any of the sets and even though shipping was kind of expensive ($30 - from France to US), I got the package very fast. Ordered on a Wednesday, received it on Monday. International. Crazy fast shipping. 

I want to order some stuff from Black Site Studios to see how their stuff looks, but they seem to be mostly out of stock due to the holiday shopping. 

If you like some of the stuff in the Dunsmouth set, but don't want the whole set, they will be releasing the individual buildings at the end of January. I'm going to try and pick up another building or two from that set as I really like those. 

• Like 1