I'm Brand new to the game and about to buy my first box, I have questions.

Negalith

So I'm new to the game, and I'm stuck between three masters. I really like the Resurrectionists, the Neverborn, and the Arcanists. Specifically, I really like Sandeep, Reva, Molly and Euripedes. Right now, I love the Elemenatals of Sandeep. The thought of being able to summon little ice, fire, and metal monsters is super cool, and I like the Indian aesthetic of Banasuva and the rest of his crew a lot. I like the theme of Reva (Necromancer Nun is awesome) and whereas normal Molly is cool, if they ever release the Brine and Bones box again, I would love the undead pirate theme is just AMAZING, and of course ice trolls are just super cool with Euripedes. I guess I was looking at buying one of those boxes to start the game, but I was wondering how I would go about expanding each box and what the pros, cons, and investment on each would be as well as how competitively viable each master is? I have heard Sandeep is a little more expensive due to his summoning mechanic, but beyond that, I don't know much. Any help is really appreciated!

Welcome. 

A good starting place for any crew is to just buy the crew box and play smaller point games until you have a grasp of the rules. Then you have a better idea of what you want. But that's not always practical. The next thing would be to look at the keyword boxes and buy those to get the crew large enough, and see what you want. Sandeep is a slightly more expensive start because he summons so you ideally want access to his summon options as soon as you can, but I'd say most players quickly end up with at least that much stuff for their crew so it's more a case of spending the money right at the start, rather than overall more expensive. 

The next likely chance to buy the brine and brimstone box would be the black Friday sale at the end of November. 

In the medium term its more cost effective to get multiple masters in 1 faction than the same number spread over several factions because your purchases can be used by more crews. 

If you are hoping to go and win events then I would probably rate euripides as the weaker crew, but I generally feel the difference in power of the keyword is normally less than the difference in skill of the players. Sandeep is possibly the strongest, but owning Molly and Reva is at least comparable. 

Sandeep is probably the most expensive master to buy as his keyword streaches across multiple boxes. Your going to want his core box, peer review, poison storm and one gamin/Golem boxes at a minimum. However if your thinking you might expand in to other arcanist, Sandeep is a great way to start towards kaeris, raspy or meifeng (and mei is getting a new nightmare kit soon) I've also written a Sandeep tactics document here on the forums which might be worth a read. 

Reva and molly are both in the same faction so have benifits in that regard (if your planning on playing events most will be single faction) and the pirate crew is amazing in my opinion. Molly is a lot of fun to play and is fairly vercitile. Reva on the other hand tends to be played with a fair bit out of keyword so might again add to expence 

Euripedes I don't know a lot about as don't play neverborn but he looks cool and has a really interesting mechanic 

Molly is pretty awesome. I've lost a handful of games with her in the last year, so I think she qualifies as competitive.

For her, you want:

• Core box
  • The lost (Archie + crooligans)

To get you started. From there I'd recommend the forgotten marshal/night terrors box if you face a lot of shooting (night terror aura gives concealment).

Eternal servitude is packed with useful models for ressers in general.

Dead rider is super useful for the crew as well.

• Like 1

There's also a chance that the brine molly may appear in the gencon sale in a few weeks, so if you're really interested in that one, I'd hold off for a couple weeks to check before picking up a standard molly.  But if it's not there... then yeah you'll probably have to wait till November for the black friday sale.

The nightmare edition Molly will normally available during some of the special offers from Wyrd. I'd say at the least it will be availabe at the black friday sales. So you definately should wait a bit.

As you have two masters in ressers, I would choose Reva and wait for pirate Molly later this year.

I don't know that she "requires" anything, but people seem to look at models like Anna Lovelace (Von Stock core box), Toshiro (Eternal Damnation), Grave Golem (the dessicated), Dead Rider(Dead rider), Cariron Emmisary (carrion fate).  At least that's what the people that have talked about Reva lists on the forums here have talked about.

• Agree 1

Ah, I see! I actually just got very lucky and was able to pick up a sizable lot of Resurrectionists including Reva, McMourning, Kirai, and Molly, along with quite a bit of extra stuff. I guess I'm wondering what I need now? It seems like a majority of what was in the lot is 2nd edition, so it looks like a need Ba Sue and the Seishins box from 2nd ed. Do I need the 3rd edition Resser cards and the Resser faction book? Also, it seems like "The Lost" box with Archie in it is really amazing for Molly but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Did it get released already or is it just not in print right now? 

41 minutes ago, Negalith said:

Ah, I see! I actually just got very lucky and was able to pick up a sizable lot of Resurrectionists including Reva, McMourning, Kirai, and Molly, along with quite a bit of extra stuff. I guess I'm wondering what I need now? It seems like a majority of what was in the lot is 2nd edition, so it looks like a need Ba Sue and the Seishins box from 2nd ed. Do I need the 3rd edition Resser cards and the Resser faction book? Also, it seems like "The Lost" box with Archie in it is really amazing for Molly but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Did it get released already or is it just not in print right now? 

Archie tends to sell out very quickly, as he was overpowered before the nerf. So there was a big demand and all the models sold out, and now new batches tend to sell out from all the people waiting for it.

15 minutes ago, Negalith said:

That makes sense. I was wondering why I couldn't seem to find the 3rd edition box no matter how hard I looked.

Oh, also note if you have 2e Molly, you already have crooligans.

If you want to list all the models you own, we can give suggestions of how to cross the M2E/M3E gap.

Core box molly in m3e has rabble risers instead of crooligans, so completing the keyword can get tricky.

Sure! That would be awesome and highly appreciated! The guy was selling it for insanely cheap, so it felt like a really good pick up. That said, I think the Experimental keyword stuff was primarily an all girl version conversion (Pretty cool idea actually) so that one may be a bit of a mishmash.  So here's what I got.

Forgotten
Brine and Bones (Molly) Box

Experimental
1 x Dr. Dufrense
1x Proxy Sebastian (Student of Conflict with Saw)
1x Rowan Nilsson (Alt Rafkin)
1 x Alt Rogue Necromancy
1 x Zombie Chihuahua (Undead Feline non Wyrd) 
1 x Metal Flesh Construct
1 x Translucent Zombie (the hulking one, was going to use as construct) 
3 x Guild Autopsy
2 x Kentauroi
2 x Little Gassers 

Urami
1 x Kirai 
1 x Lost Love
1 x Ikiryo 
2 x Onryo 
2 x Seishen 

Versatile
1 x Sloth 
1 x Carrion Effigy 
1 x Carrion Emissary 
5 x Mindless Zombies 
1 x Salty Sea Devil

Revenant – All M3E all NiB
Reva Box
The Returned box
Draugr Box

Out of Keyword
Anna Lovelace

1 hour ago, Negalith said:

You will probably need the faction box if you want the cards (or to buy the individual cards from drive thru RPG). The Faction book is nice for the stories, and for looking at the models you don't own,. There are plenty of people that will play with only the app and not use physical cards, so you might not need the cards or the book for the rules.

You might have M3 cards with that lot, so check before you go out and buy them again. The M3 cards are much bigger than M2 cards, and the Brine and brimstone will be M3 cards.

That's certainly a good section of stuff that gives you plenty of choices to play with now.

1 hour ago, Negalith said:

Sure! That would be awesome and highly appreciated! The guy was selling it for insanely cheap, so it felt like a really good pick up. That said, I think the Experimental keyword stuff was primarily an all girl version conversion (Pretty cool idea actually) so that one may be a bit of a mishmash.  So here's what I got.

Forgotten
Brine and Bones (Molly) Box

Experimental
1 x Dr. Dufrense
1x Proxy Sebastian (Student of Conflict with Saw)
1x Rowan Nilsson (Alt Rafkin)
1 x Alt Rogue Necromancy
1 x Zombie Chihuahua (Undead Feline non Wyrd) 
1 x Metal Flesh Construct
1 x Translucent Zombie (the hulking one, was going to use as construct) 
3 x Guild Autopsy
2 x Kentauroi
2 x Little Gassers 

Urami
1 x Kirai 
1 x Lost Love
1 x Ikiryo 
2 x Onryo 
2 x Seishen 

Versatile
1 x Sloth 
1 x Carrion Effigy 
1 x Carrion Emissary 
5 x Mindless Zombies 
1 x Salty Sea Devil

Revenant – All M3E all NiB
Reva Box
The Returned box
Draugr Box

Out of Keyword
Anna Lovelace

Right, let's see...

For Forgotten:

• Brine and Bones is a 3E box, so you're set there.
  • Rogue Necromancy/Salty Sea Devil are standalones, so they don't make any awkward purchases.

Pickup the Lost when it becomes available, but if you can't snag that maybe just get the Call To Madness box. Then you can use night terrors as scheme runners instead of Crooligans, and you should be fine for a while. For beaters, you can use Carrion Emissary and/or Rogue Necromancy to learn the crew, but eventually may want Archie/Dead Rider/Manos. But should be good to go to play lots of games to learn the crew with just picking up the Call to Madness box.

Experimental:

I may be missing something, but seems like the main thing you're missing is nurses if you can pick them up. If you can pick up an M2E experimental box, it'll have a bunch of models that help fill out your set (2 nurses, a flesh construct, and a canine remains). If you have your Kentauroi I think you've got a pretty solid base, so maybe just play the crew with what you have and see what you feel like you're missing.

Urami:

Not too familiar with the keyword, but that looks awkward. You definitely want Goryo, but probably want to just complete the keyword if you can find the models. At the very least, two goryo and one of everything else.

Reva:

That's plenty to learn her. Can snag stuff from out of keyword if need be, should be set to learn the crew pretty well with what you have.

Bonus buy: Eternal servitude is my big recommendation for generically useful models, so you may want to pick up that box.

EDIT: Really the big thing from here is just go play a few dozen games. You have more than enough to learn heaps!

Nice! I really appreciate the advice. I did go ahead and pick up a copy of "The Lost" only because it seems hard to find and it was on ebay for 5 bucks under MSRP, but I totally agree. Gotta get in some games. Having said that, I'm super excited to play, and then expand, and I'm happy I have a pretty clear idea of what that looks like. I really appreciate all the help.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Negalith said:

Nice! I really appreciate the advice. I did go ahead and pick up a copy of "The Lost" only because it seems hard to find and it was on ebay for 5 bucks under MSRP, but I totally agree. Gotta get in some games. Having said that, I'm super excited to play, and then expand, and I'm happy I have a pretty clear idea of what that looks like. I really appreciate all the help.

Next step - join us in the Ressers forum! We run a community pool and discuss different pools every week or two :)