Nekima and Ironsides Challenge

AskM3L8r

Malifaux is my first Miniatures game.  Arcanist pretty much only faction I'm into. I was telling someone in my meta about the results of my visit toFaux Moines Soul Stone Tower & @Kaiser Senpai.

I mentioned that I notice that have a few glaring problems with how I play with Toni Ironsides and my play style has had mixed results.  This person in my group  is new to Malifaux and has played the Horde/War Machine games. He suggested that I build my Toni crew and he'll do a Nekima crew and we each play the opposite. (( Me Nekima, him my Toni ))

I've played against Nekima with Toni a few times without my playing style causing problems.  Both in second  and third edition. 

I want to see this as a learning  experience-

what should I be looking for? 

If he is trying to learn from me - what should I be showing?

I feel I have too much home field advantage. 

PSST what is the Nekima crew into doing,  anyway? 

Swaping crews is always a very good way to improve. However if you want to stress test your crew, that works better versus a seasoned oponent. Still useful to see your crew from the other side of the table tho. However maybe each one should build his own crew (you Nephs and He Toni).

In a nutshell: Nephilims are fast glass cannons, with very little defensive tech but good health recovery, superior mobility, dangerous in close combat but with ver little ranged threat. Things to mind: They have a focused pulse that will further push his ofensive power and will set up a BBS to replace a Mature when it dies (or grow into one in turn 1), black blood will punish range 1 mele that spam attacks, Mature Nephillims have Combat Finesse so you need something to get around that (Focused, built in :+flipto duels, non-:melee...). Nekima hits very very hard but has very little defensive tech, She is always played with Inhuman Reflexes upgrade. The crew has a mechanic that allow minions to "grow" into more powerful minions through kills or consuming corpses.

These 3 threads may help you to understand better the crew and the master:

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/146830-servants-of-the-god-empress-unite/

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/148596-nekima-crew-essentialsbuilds/

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/148847-how-to-deal-with-nekima/

About what to show... Depends on the pool. Nephs will have the mobility advantage and you should use that to secure schemes that rely in speed; Toni needs to bubble, you'll have a lot of map control that should use to score what you can score. Toni bubble is hard to break for Nephillims, but they may kill easily anthing that wander away from it (or that get lured, if you need a lure I'd hire Hinamatsu instead of a Lilitu). If you may win without engaging or force Toni to come after you, you should try that; just be careful with gunsmiths.

When the carnage time come you need to pick your targets well. No point in going after Toni, she is too tanky it's just not worth it (if you need to go after her, then you need to include something to stun her; still probably not worth it). Amina will reduce the damage and mobility of Nekima, she needs to die, be pushed away, lured or a big mature ass need to be placed in front of her (to block the LoS), Gunsmiths are too dangerous for matures, they need to be dealth with. Mouse heals a lot and is squishy, that's another one that has to die quickly.

A very interesting tech choice for this match is Candy considering Ironsides' crew like to hug each other and she may be carried by all Nephilims.

Check this thread for that particular match up:

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/147652-nekima-vs-ironsides/

Hope it helps!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AskM3L8r said:

Thank you this and the threads helped.. 

I've never faced Toni Ironsides because  I'm the only Arcanist in my meta. This game will be a weird game for me.

Just keep the two keys in mind.  Either pull Amina away, or avoid the bubble entirely.  And remember that Toni's "Bring it" has a massive range on stat 7 so be mindful of what can be dragged in that's already activated.

6 hours ago, AskM3L8r said:

Thank you this and the threads helped.. 

I've never faced Toni Ironsides because  I'm the only Arcanist in my meta. This game will be a weird game for me.

You have played Toni. You know the bits that make you struggle. Those are the bits you want to try and enforce happening.  You know the things she is good at. Try and not let her do those. 

Go into the game hoping you both learn things. You will hopefully learn how other people react to the things you struggle with when you play Toni. Those things might not be things you always want to do, but its always good to consider other options. You will also hopefully get an idea of how much effort opponents might need to put in to get around Toni and her strengths, Hopefully you'll also learn how difficult some of the plans that Nekima crews do actually are to implement.

Good luck, and have fun

• Thanks 1