2nd Crew Recommendations?

kneepawn

Hey all!

I am currently playing Euripides (I painted and converted him with a christmas theme) and am loving how many decision points and foresight that you runs into with Old Ways and pillar management.

Currently, I am finding that he slots really well when running him in Reckoning and, to some extent, Turf War and was hoping to pick up a new crew to compliment him and make up for his weaker points. Namely charges and idols (rest of the pool factors in of course but this is just to keep it simple).

I typically enjoy playing things LESS linear and straightforward and like the idea of having cool movement tricks or mechanics that wouldn't really overlap with Euripides' playstyle. Bonus points if you have some fun thematic conversion idea to go with it!

Euripides is really entertaining me lately, and i tend to play Dreamer and Pandora alongside him, however i also own Nekima, Titania and Lucius. Lucius is great (depending on crew) at both corrupted idols and plant explosives in my view, while Titania is pretty good at idols also. Dreamer is good at both. Really pick whichever grabs you the most out of Zoraida, Lucius, Titania and Dreamer, all are fun in slightly different ways. Lucius will love to hire Euripides minions anyway often, commanding a Geryon about is never a bad time. 

As for corrupted idols, I've found Euripides to perform pretty well at corrupted idols, so far. The ability to teleport around, heal frequently and block off charging lanes/access to idol markers is all very helpful and I would even say Plant Explosives is the hardest strat for Euripides, and even that he can pull off with his keyword models and the better among the versatile pieces. I have found him to be surprisingly flexible, 

From the sounds of it you wouldn't go wrong with Lucius (who I also love). You however probably should (if you don't already have them) acquire the more useful versatile models in order to give you access to more play styles (Serena Bowman is a must have imo) 

Edited by Ezuma
clarification

1 hour ago, Ezuma said:

As for corrupted idols, I've found Euripides to perform pretty well at corrupted idols, so far. The ability to teleport around, heal frequently and block off charging lanes/access to idol markers is all very helpful and I would even say Plant Explosives is the hardest strat for Euripides, and even that he can pull off with his keyword models and the better among the versatile pieces. I have found him to be surprisingly flexible,

I've played him a lot the past month and I would disagree with this statement.  Corrupted Idols seems like it would be good for him, but the issue is that he is weak to crews that scheme excessively, and have access to a lot of AP.  Incidentially, these are also crews that are excellent at Idols (Collette, Molly, Tara, Zip, etc).  While Euri is decent in a vacuum at Idols, any dedicated schemer crew, which every faction has access to at least one, will outmanuver him and make the matchup terrible for him.  Explosives I haven't had much experience with, but it seems a neutral strat for him on the basis that he can get points off it pretty easily, but the crew has issues denying your opponent the same points.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! 

I was looking into Zoraida (mostly because I love the wisp and adze sculpts) haha and realized that Marcus can take them too and adze makes a pretty great tarpit but I'll look at Lucius as well.

What are your thoughts on Neverborn Marcus? Obviously, not having blessed or magical training hurt the crew a bit but are they still fairly strong picks into those schemes too?

14 minutes ago, kneepawn said:

Thanks for the responses, everyone! 

I was looking into Zoraida (mostly because I love the wisp and adze sculpts) haha and realized that Marcus can take them too and adze makes a pretty great tarpit but I'll look at Lucius as well.

What are your thoughts on Neverborn Marcus? Obviously, not having blessed or magical training hurt the crew a bit but are they still fairly strong picks into those schemes too?

He is criminally underplayed because most Marcus players are Arcanists. IMO nobody has thoroughly tested Neverborn Marcus and it is worth giving him a go!

He has some nasty tricks in Neverborn, with things like built in Onslaught Bandersnatch or Rougarou shenanigans or the other neat beasts.

Personally I think he'd be very cool in Neverborn. However, on average we have much weaker scheming than Arcanists, so his playstyle will feel entirely different.

• Like 1

I’m quite fond of Pandora, she wrecks hell on an opponents hand, and is a constant nuisance discretely pushing things into and out of position - and with all her Sz 1 models, she definitely plays  different from Euripides. More than anyone, she controls positioning. 

She is also quite cheap to get into : crewbox (+ Teddy) + Carver + Iggy and then some proxies for Aversions. 

But I’m also looking forward to getting my Lucius crew on the table. As you won’t find a more convoluted playstyle in all of Malifaux. Lucius with Puppets, or Lucius with Woes seems to be a fiendish mix, as you grind your opponent to a halt via Staggered and Slow. 

• 2 weeks later...

With Lucius you get a pretty fun combo with bringing Thoon in to Lucius and abusing the Frozen Trophy trigger to bury models in ice pillars.  With Agent 46 and Doppelganger you can attempt to create a trophy 3 times due to how once per turn is worded.

Yes, it's tome intensive and shouldn't be the only thing you should be trying to do but burying a key model can be devastating.  Burying 3 could be a NPE.

• Like 1