Plant Explosives Models?

Yore Huckleberry

44 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

Field reporters, pale rider, lj, undercover reporter, mounted guard, hunters, mayyybe sanctioned spellcasters and pistoleros, though that's just theory since I don't play their crews into that strat.

Edit: Nellie.  How could I forget Nellie.  

Grimwell and nurse hb too.

Undercover Reporter can’t take one if you deploy it buried, alas. The reckless models are interesting.

I think there’s a theory craft build where you take Nellie, a False Witness, two journalists and the Pale Rider, where the FW goes forward and puts two markers down ahead of himself. Nellie pushes the PR towards it, bumping bases with the witness. Then the journalists activate and take their free move apiece off of the scheme markers. Later, the Pale Rider moves someone forward with Ride with Me. 23” of free movement in round one — Colette, eat your heart out!

There’s a quick off the block Marshals crew too if you double corpse-command push the Pale Rider forward with the Domador and then have a Death Marshal Recruiter give two Death Marshals a 3” push towards it.

But then you’re basically deciding between the Lone Marshal and a henchman, and you’re going to leave your Domador in the dust.

Dropping the explosives is only the first part of the problem. You must also keep them on the opponent's half, and dogs will never be able to defend anything. As they moved forward on first tuern, they will probably die on end of turn 1 or beginning of turn 2. This will not ask a lot of efforts from your opponent : a good beater will be able to charge on explosive, kill the dog and remove the explosive.

Getting explosives markers down fast is not that important unless you are expecting to be able to get 4 points from that strategy, and even then you only need to get one down before then end of turn 2. What's more difficult is protecting the markers and explosive tokens from your enemy and preventing your enemy from dropping markers on your side of the table and picking up the markers they have dropped.

I'd say mobility is more important in the defense than offense, because practically any model can walk 15" and drop a marker in two turns. It is significantly more difficult to catch up to the models your opponent doesn't want you to catch up or get to the markers that have been placed in as annoying places as possible. This is why I don't appreciate the "shoot your model across the board on turn 1" type of mobility very highly in this strategy.

• Agree 2

A thrown hunter can start placing their markers turn two or three depending on current needs and spend all their ap on pulling in opposing runners until then. The end of turn pushes will be enough to be over the center line without spending a single ap. 

8 hours ago, Yore Huckleberry said:

Undercover Reporter can’t take one if you deploy it buried, alas. The reckless models are interesting.

I think there’s a theory craft build where you take Nellie, a False Witness, two journalists and the Pale Rider, where the FW goes forward and puts two markers down ahead of himself. Nellie pushes the PR towards it, bumping bases with the witness. Then the journalists activate and take their free move apiece off of the scheme markers. Later, the Pale Rider moves someone forward with Ride with Me. 23” of free movement in round one — Colette, eat your heart out!

I think undercover reporter has tons of play even if not buried.  It might be guilds fastest model, between deadly pursuit and the rapid action move.  Even if you give him shielded he can go 16" a turn, and it becomes 20" without.  

Monster Hunters from Family.  I activate them later in Turn 1 to get Creep Along, then get the push from Bravado, then walk, then Deadly Pursuit at the end of the round.  Moves them 18" in one turn, and gain focus.  They have the added advantage of being beefier than most scheme runners, so they can usually defend any bomb they drop as well.

As for the Marshal Keyword, I generally give one to the Lone Marshal, just because he is so mobile and very survivable.  With a 7" move, and Run and Gun built in, I don't feel like I'm losing much to have him Charge, shoot something, and then drop a bomb.

2 minutes ago, Cathaidan said:

Monster Hunters from Family.  I activate them later in Turn 1 to get Creep Along, then get the push from Bravado, then walk, then Deadly Pursuit at the end of the round.  Moves them 18" in one turn, and gain focus.  They have the added advantage of being beefier than most scheme runners, so they can usually defend any bomb they drop as well.

At Df 5 Wp 5 and Wd 6 they are beefier than 4ss models that have no defensive abilities whatsoever, but not beefier than anything useful.

1 hour ago, Regelridderen said:

I’d go for Lucius and his Lawyers for Plant Explosives. Just Obey the opposing models to dump their bombs. Then disrupt massively with slow/staggered. 

I would too but I worry that things like plant explosives and idols will be changed and new tactics will be needed so trying to avoid this type of game

20 minutes ago, Starrius said:

I would too but I worry that things like plant explosives and idols will be changed and new tactics will be needed so trying to avoid this type of game

I don’t. 

Obey is such a signature Malifaux action, invalidating it for certain strategies is tantamount to not allowing the Viks to strike things with their katanas in Reckoning. 

And if they come up with alternate strategies, then its a rather moot point, discussing tactics based on the old strategies. 

Right?

1 minute ago, Regelridderen said:

I don’t. 

Obey is such a signature Malifaux action, invalidating it for certain strategies is tantamount to not allowing the Viks to strike things with their katanas in Reckoning. 

And if they come up with alternate strategies, then its a rather moot point, discussing tactics based on the old strategies. 

Right?

In second edition there was never a strategy in which you were able to obey enemy models to complete your strategy conditions for you. Or I guess you could obey them to kill stuff, but that's it.

47 minutes ago, Regelridderen said:

I don’t. 

Right?

See that would ok but when you have models like zorida giving out 2ap for 1 ap and a mask I do think the strats will have to change to accommodate them, ap to kill is fine I have no issue with that, that's reckoning but to just drop something and move away or moving idols forcing the model to die and also moving to score something about those has to be changed

9 minutes ago, Starrius said:

See that would ok but when you have models like zorida giving out 2ap for 1 ap and a mask I do think the strats will have to change to accommodate them, ap to kill is fine I have no issue with that, that's reckoning but to just drop something and move away or moving idols forcing the model to die and also moving to score something about those has to be changed

I’d much prefer to see player attitude change/adapt, rather than see less variance in objectives and playstyle. 

2 minutes ago, le_wahou said:

We are a little out of topic here. The topic is how guild can handle explosives, not what must be nerfed in other factions :)

The guild forums going off topic?! I'm shocked and appalled! 😆

Just changing the strats so the model needed to interact with the markers during a friendly activation or something would do a lot. There's still plenty of fuckery to be had with obeys. 

• Haha 1