Guild: Alignment Chart

Hagisman

Feel free to debate this:

guild_alignment.thumb.jpg.32f468ffb9776be3f66e122cadb3068e.jpg

Reasoning:

• Hoffman - So good at working within the Guild's red tape that even Lucius was having a hard time tripping him up.
  • Perdita - Good to the bone. 
  • Basse - Bounty Hunter says he likes to do stuff that the law won't do.
  • Sonnia - Uses the law to further her own interests.
  • Lady Justice - Doesn't care about Guild politics, she uses Necromancy to stop Necromancers. 
  • Nellie - Reworks the truth to fit a positive narrative for the Guild.
  • Lucius - Uses the law to try and oppress the innocent.
  • Dashel - Was once the right hand man of Lucius. Strict military discipline with disregard for his men (Though that might be Queeg).

Bonus:

• McMourning for Chaotic Evil. Because he was once Guild and is so loony that it was a miracle he hadn't given himself away.
  • Like 2

If we are actually talking about DND alignments, all the masters would be true neutral. The alignments are kind of extreme.

But if we ignore that for a moment, I kind of disagree on placements of many of those masters. I think the entire top row should be shifted to the right, with Basse ending up on the other side. He's a much bigger stickler for the rules than probably anyone aside from Lucius. Hoffman is smart enough to navigate the bureaucracy, but he holds no special respect for the law, not anymore at least. Perdita will just ignore the rules every chance she is given, and I'm not 100% sure if she should even be classified as good, as she is mostly out for her own and her family's gain.

Sonnia also sees the rules as little more than a nuisance, so calling her lawful doesn't seem right. Lady Justice actually adheres to Guild's law much more faithfully. Also, being dedicated to fighting evil is often seen as good, so Justice could easily be upgraded to the good category. Nellie is motivated or at least rationalizing her actions by the greater good and has chosen to work within the confines of the law, so I might not classify her as chaotic neutral either.

Lucius I don't really disagree about, although his motivations are kind of a mystery. Dashel on the other hand works very much within the confines of the rules, compared to most of the other masters. He also isn't really motivated by doing evil just for the sake of it. He's more about doing what's good for himself. He is willing follow Lucius's orders though, so it isn't necessarily wrong to classify him as evil, but he's definitely on the more lawful side as far as the Guild's masters go.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I would say Perdita is Chaotic Good. The Guild has little actual control over her and she has very little regard for rules or procedure. She does what she thinks is right and does not care about what she is "allowed" to do.

With Lady Justice, I would say she is by herself more Neutral Good. She wants to do good thing (although for unknown reasons which may or may not be selfish). However, the Guild has more direct control over her than Perdita and may use her actions for ends which might be considered evil, so True neutral might fit because of that.

And is Hoffman really Good? He seems to work for is own interest more than others...

*Sees a Watcher in the distance*

I mean... Of course all Guild Masters are Lawful Good. The honourable Guild only wants the best for all citizens of Malifaux, and does so by following and upholding the rules needed for a civilized society. 

:Guild:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hagisman said:
  • Lucius - Uses the law to try and oppress the innocent.

Lucius is a valiant revolutionary using his abilities to undermine and sabotage the human invasion of Malifaux.  How can you claim one of the occupiers is an “innocent”?

The original governor-general ordered his son’s lover killed due to politics.  That madman gave Lucius the perfect opportunity, and undoubtedly had enough leverage that he thought Lucius was his to use.  The results are sort of inevitable from there.

17 minutes ago, solkan said:

Lucius is a valiant revolutionary using his abilities to undermine and sabotage the human invasion of Malifaux. 

Is he really doing that and not something entirely different? His most recent ambition seems to be to become the governor general, and I'm not very convinced that's supposed to benefit the Neverborn in any way.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hagisman said:

Sonnia - Uses the law to further her own interests.

For me, this is the definition of Neutral Evil. This woman doesn't care for the Law, and all the Witch Hunter lore (what they do to whoever has magical powers) strongly falls in the side of Evil.

I would say

Hoffman - Neutral Good - He really doesn't care about laws, but feels like a good guy.

Lady Justice - Lawful Good - she "follows" the rules and is good. A bit easy to manipulate. 

Perdita - Chaotic Good - Don't give a fuck about the rules, but is good.

Sonnia - Neutral Evil - as said before.

Nellie - Neutral Evil - She is a tool of the oppression, and she knows it, but she doesn't care as long as her newpaper be sold. She even lies to her best friend.

Lucius - Neutral Evil - Even if his goals where good, he's fuelled by hate. He really don't seem to want to free Malifaux as much as want to damage/kill humans.

Y really don't know anything about the other two Masters.

27 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

Is he really doing that and not something entirely different? His most recent ambition seems to be to become the governor general, and I'm not very convinced that's supposed to benefit the Neverborn in any way.

Neither Lucius or any of the other Neverborn leaders probably have the interest of all of the different Neverborn factions at heart. 

But look at all of the stuff that Lucius has done.  It should be obvious why someone wanting to undermine and sabotage the Guild presence on Malifaux would love to become the Governor General.  Hell, if there would have been some way for Lucius to make the old governor general's spell make every other human on Malifaux burn with the governor, or if he knew that what he was doing was going to create the Burning Man...

Frankly, I'm pretty sure McMourning and Lucius each woke up each day thinking about their position in the Guild and going "How amazing is it that I'm still getting away with this".

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, solkan said:

Frankly, I'm pretty sure McMourning and Lucius each woke up each day thinking about their position in the Guild and going "How amazing is it that I'm still getting away with this".

I don't know. Lucius seems like the kind of guy who would think it's only natural.

• Haha 2

Hm, who can we get to fill that Chaotic Evil slot? A malfunctioning ED-209 proxy? A Judge Dredd knockoff who is way too into the Law but invents laws to punish people for? Maybe a twisted Prohibition Elliot Ness who's probably more into Gremlin hooch than he lets on?

Possibilities are endless, really.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Wallace said:

Hm, who can we get to fill that Chaotic Evil slot? A malfunctioning ED-209 proxy? A Judge Dredd knockoff who is way too into the Law but invents laws to punish people for? Maybe a twisted Prohibition Elliot Ness who's probably more into Gremlin hooch than he lets on?

Greed, obviously.  Look, I've got this ballot box where she's the winner right over here.  :) 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Zebo said:

If you don't apply the law on yourself, you are not Lawful. If you bend the law in your benefit, you are not Lawful.

That's a subject of much debate, and has been for ages. I'm in the camp that the term "lawful" is a poor word choice, and that Order would be a better name. It's not about "the law" as in literal statutes, but as in a worldview that things should be structured and orderly with everything in a proper place.

In DC comics, Darkseid is basically the embodiment of Lawful Evil, but he doesn't follow any laws, because in his view, his will IS law.

• Like 1

Considering the Guild is a heavily authoritarian colonialist regime, I personally consider the Guild, as an institution, Lawful Evil.  Can one really be considered 'good' while working to uphold that kind of institution?

Though I'd agree that Hoffman and Justice are probably the good ones if any are.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1