Masterful Choices?

Yore Huckleberry

So, if your opponent declares Ressers, it seems like going with Lady Justice as a master pick (barring particular things you want for the strat/schemes) is pretty natural. I'm curious if people have other favorite picks when they see a faction coming? What are our natural strengths against the other factions ... or in the mirror?

I generally pick a master dependent on schemes/strategies, then adjust the crew (if there are any obvious counters).

Marshalls, I believe, is the only keyword, that has a particular game mechanic to focus on another faction. Perdita is supposedly the anti-neverborn, and Sonnia is supposedly specialized in killing arcanists, but neither has any mechanic, that doesn’t work equally well against most other crews.

TT and Gremlins don't really like dealing with armor, so if the strats like it I'll at least consider hoffman.  I'll never take hoffman into NB again- too much anti-armor tech.

I don't like lucius or Nellie into TT- too much easy focus, and those two keywords depend too much on neg flips to protect (though you could build around that too).

44 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

TT and Gremlins don't really like dealing with armor, so if the strats like it I'll at least consider hoffman.  I'll never take hoffman into NB again- too much anti-armor tech.

I don't like lucius or Nellie into TT- too much easy focus, and those two keywords depend too much on neg flips to protect (though you could build around that too).

TT has the versatile Samurai that ignore armor on melee attacks and Izamu for Yan Lo can ignore it too (while being a brutal beater) I would be careful declaring Hoffman into TT because they could take 2 Samurai who will do a lot of work against the crew!

23 minutes ago, Cursed25 said:

TT has the versatile Samurai that ignore armor on melee attacks and Izamu for Yan Lo can ignore it too (while being a brutal beater) I would be careful declaring Hoffman into TT because they could take 2 Samurai who will do a lot of work against the crew!

True.  I don't see people wanting to get stuck in with Samurai tbh.  My biggest worry going into TT is Shen. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cursed25 said:

While those models may be dangerous to Hoffman, he is also very good against armor, so he's able to threaten them equally well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Starrius said:

I've found hoffman being useful into any faction, sure they can take anti armour but with hoffman making it be unable to be ignored you can so that the models needed can have that.

Do you guys think Hoffman does better work in Guild or Arcanists? It feels like he uses a ton of in-keyword models, but arcanists have things like Saboteurs and Soulstone Miners. What does the Guild lineup offer to fill out those same spots?

27 minutes ago, Yore Huckleberry said:

Do you guys think Hoffman does better work in Guild or Arcanists? It feels like he uses a ton of in-keyword models, but arcanists have things like Saboteurs and Soulstone Miners. What does the Guild lineup offer to fill out those same spots?

Investigative reporter seems as close to replacing those scheme runners as guild is gonna get.  I think he's better in Arc myself, but I also think there are things to experiment with in guild and could be proven wrong.  

Lawyers or Allison Dade are interesting for Hoffman I think.  Lawyers because there are models to obey and hit with and both because armor models love shielded.  Dade can also be good for hand pressure.  If you make them discard cards, Howard is all the sudden real real scary (especially with obeys too). (Lawyers can actually hit hard if they are out of cards too).

Edit: this is a concept list.  Dunno if it would work, but I wanna try it:

New Charles Hoffman Crew (Guild)
Size: 50 - Pool: 9
Leader:
  Charles Hoffman
Totem(s):
  Mechanical Attendant
Hires:
  Howard Langston
    Lead-Lined Coat
  Dr. Grimwell
  Allison Dade
  Lawyer
  Watcher

Edited by 4thstringer
List build

The upgrades for hoffman in arcanist do increase his overal effectiveness but playing in pure guild can free up some soulstones. I dont generally take any models out of keyword for hoffman and in guild he does well without taking a single upgrade, which playing him in arcanists I'd probably 2 upgrades that's quite a bit of a difference in ss cost

It feels like Lady J is strong vs Outcasts, too:

Tara is hit hard by Jury and Death Marshal Recruiters
Lady J can keep up with Zipp to focus him down
You can alpha strike Hamlin before he gets going
The Lone Marshal and Exorcists have Ruthless to oppose Daw's terrifying, and death marshals are cheap long guns to simply sink shots into Daw's DF 5 to burn out his hand
Lone Marshal and Pale Rider can chase down Leveticus's Hollow Waifs before you kill him
You can get your melee pieces to Parker quickly
You can stand toe-to-toe with Von Schill
You can stand toe-to-toe with Viktorias