What Do Your Yan Lo Lists Look Like

Kharnage

Hello, Thunders players.
Having only played one game of post-beta Yan Lo, and that was with me in the pilot seat, he seems pretty immortal for people who aren't God Empress Nekima (i.e., able to rush him turn 1) Granted it's one game, and that's not a huge data set, but still, this backs up what I suspected on paper.
Being honest in that I wish to be able to have a game plan to take him on in a Turf War / Reckoning setting, what are your Yan Lo lists looking like? What common tools should I expect to see in his toolbox? What things out of a Neverborn faction might you fear?

my core list looks like that

Chiaki 7ss

Manos 9ss

Izamu 10ss

Gokudo 5ss

then I have 19ss to tailor my list toward more killy options, more supports or more scheme runners depending of strat and schemes

As you said in Neverborn Nekima can cripple you because of the alpha strike. Against her I would take 1 or 2 ashigaru to protect my important pieces!

Other than that take care about models with execute trigger because it ignore demise ability. ;) 

• Agree 1

Core has been:

• Silent Protector on Yan Lo (stat 9 Challenge is funny, but it's mainly for Hard to Kill)
  • Manos
  • Izamu
  • Chiaki
  • Gokudo

33/50ss

Theoretically I could drop out the Gokudo but in practice I always hire at least one. They're just so efficient to Rebuild Corpus on. Komainu/Ashigaru are good minions but more situational picks. Against any melee crew, like Nephilim, I'd be tempted to go 1-2 Ashigaru in addition to or instead of Gokudo. I like their 2" enagement and Extended Reach.

I recently got Sun Quiang painted and managed to get five games with him this weekend (four in Yan Lo crews). Probably not an autopick, but very good at what he does and I wouldn't be surprised if I end up hiring him more often than not. Between focus and healing he always has something to do. What Sun Quiang contributes in anti-Alpha Strike context is Bedside Manner (3" aura, after a friendly more suffers damage, discard a card to place them in base contact with Sun), King of Medicine (friendly models placed within 3" heal 1) and Healing Droughts (friendly models activating within 3 heal 1). I got a lot of incidental heals out of him. His "place & heal after damage" is poor man's butterfly jump, as I believe one recent podcast put it.

Between an Ashigaru, Sun Quiang and a few cards to discard, I can see things being very difficult for an opponent wanting to take out df 3-4 Yan Lo. This relies largely on me having a hand and my models where I want them to be. Any forced movement is going to hurt.

Depending on how exactly I build my crew, you can expect a lot of armour, hard to kill and/or healing. Having tools to handle those helps a bunch. Having actions to forcibly move my models out of range of various abilities and actions is also helpful.

• Thanks 1

Has anyone tried putting Manos' upgrade onto a Wanyudo? It strikes me as a dangerous versatile and extremely mobile piece which has its biggest weaknesses covered when in this crew (resilience). And the extra pushes and movement combined with its trample and burning path could make for an obscene number of simple duals. All this and it can still charge, push and interact at the back of the enemy crew if desired.

I'm yet to get Yan on the table so will probably stick in keyword to start with (komainu and gokudo being strong competition to receive the same upgrade) but looking forward to experimenting...

Yan also has an ascendant upgrade to give unresisted Staggered to enemy models within X inches when attached (X=turn number). Manos has a 12", stat5, rst:WP attack with a trigger to give staggered in 2" aoe around the target.

Either could be fun with a Wanyado. Since it targets enemy MV.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

Yan also has an ascendant upgrade to give unresisted Staggered to enemy models within X inches when attached (X=turn number). Manos has a 12", stat5, rst:WP attack with a trigger to give staggered in 2" aoe around the target.

Either could be fun with a Wanyado. Since it targets enemy MV.

also don't forget Yan Lo can use Treacherous Paths to push Wanyudo though other models the turn he attaches the ash ascendant! ;) this could lead to a lot of Burning path test in a turn! ahah! Now I really want to try this! :P 

• Haha 2

Thank you for your feedback! Basically, I am to expect Ashigaru and/or a decent amount of healing to keep him alive, and what I would also qualify as the "usual suspects".  

Do you tend to favor Ten Thunders over Resser options in upgrades or versatile models? I can't imagine how you wouldn't, but I figured I'd ask if there's any resser loyalists running him with something different. 

I’ve been pretty happy with:

Yan Lo

Soul Porter

Izamu

Manos

Yin with GST

Carrion Emissary

Chiaki with The Whisper

Entire list is extremely hard to kill. Manos and Yin can easily accomplish any schemes needed, or switch to kill or disruption. Key play is to split the soul and give Manos’ reliquary to Izamu first, and Izamu’s to the Carrion Emissary second. Zombies are summoned to destroy terrain, perform assist actions, or serve as vessels to resummon an ancestor in the unlikely event one of them actually dies.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

Yan Lo

Soul Porter

Izamu

Manos

Yin with GST

Carrion Emissary

Chiaki with The Whisper

Entire list is extremely hard to kill. Manos and Yin can easily accomplish any schemes needed, or switch to kill or disruption. Key play is to split the soul and give Manos’ reliquary to Izamu first, and Izamu’s to the Carrion Emissary second. Zombies are summoned to destroy terrain, perform assist actions, or serve as vessels to resummon an ancestor in the unlikely event one of them actually dies.

I like your list! :) the zombie summon to resummon ancestor is cool and the ressers upgrades really help his crew! the whisper is amazing on chiaki to help find those low masks!

Bt since I'm a Ten Thunder guy, in tournament I stick with my faction and prefer to build around the TT's stuff! I sadly think a Resser Yan Lo is slightly better than a TT one. But I'm ok with that! :P ressers don't have access to as much good healing (LRM and Tanuki) and Samurai are really strong with some reliquary upgrades! (armor +3 and ruthless! :D )

48 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

Yan Lo

Soul Porter

Izamu

Manos

Yin with GST

Carrion Emissary

Chiaki with The Whisper

I will definitely give it a try! So far I've been playing only a very unispired Izamu/Manos/Chiaki/Gravedigger/Gokudo/Gokudo list.

most of what I have run for Yan Lo is based on what I have painted, tends to be something like Yan Lo, Chiaki, Izamu, Toshiro, Yin, two Komainu, one ashigaru with a few versatile models here or there dependent upon the scheme. I know a lot of people have been leaving out Toshiro but I have been thoroughly enjoying him every game I play.

27 minutes ago, Noah said:

most of what I have run for Yan Lo is based on what I have painted, tends to be something like Yan Lo, Chiaki, Izamu, Toshiro, Yin, two Komainu, one ashigaru with a few versatile models here or there dependent upon the scheme. I know a lot of people have been leaving out Toshiro but I have been thoroughly enjoying him every game I play.

Toshiro is really stron gin ressers with a gravedigger! Sadly in TT he has no synergy with anyone because no one can drop corpses in the faction! :( 

• Agree 1

Just played a game against Shenlong!

standard deployment

board was a big forest with many severe/councealing/dense area and a lot of very big tree! was very crowded with only few shooting lane!

Strat was reckoning

my schemes were outflank and breakthrough

his were power ritual and breakthrough

my crew was:

Yan Lo - 3ss cache

Soul Porter

Chiaki 7

Manos 9

Izamu 10

Gokudo 5

Samurai with Silent Protector 11

Tanuki 5

his crew was:

Shenlong - 2ss cache

2 Students

Sensei Yu 9

Thunder Archer 7

3 Lotus Eater 18

2 Wandering River Monk 10

Low River Monk 4

Turn 1

First turn I deployed mostly in the center with the goal to send Manos/Gokudo at the left and rest in the center/toward the right. Sadly without any mask in hand for my first turn even with a stone I decided to send Chiaki on the left to at least get the manos reliquary on the next turn on the gokudo. My opponent had deployed his 3 lotus on my left, 2 wandering on my right and rest in the center. He mostly boosted Shenlong and sent his 2 wings forward! He moved a liitle too close from me and with the help of Soul Porter and Yan Lo Izamu managed to engage a wandering and one-shot him! no point but one less hard to pin scheme runner is good for me!

Turn 2

Got my mask with another use of a stone :) so managed to gave gokudo the manos reliquary. Manos engaged the first lotus eater on the left and was in place for outflank! with a big severe terrain on his right the other Lotus eaters would have to work a lot to get to him! His second wandering river got in a tough spot to deal for me in my DZ with a scheme down (so I now knew he had breakthrough) I was thinking about sending the tanuki near him to prevent him scoring and sadly forgot about his end game push and there was a little gap betwwen my model and the side of the board were he wasn't in 3'' range 😕 He charged Shenlong in the middle of my group (Yan Lo, Soul Porter and Samurai) I used Silent Protector to protect Yan and since I had Ash upgrade on him form turn 1 with a charge and 2 attacks he did more dmg on himself than against my Samurai! xD 3 on him and 2 against my model! was pretty happy about that! I had a dilemma about sending Izamu complete outflank or against Sensei Yu who was out of position with a few wounds and I finally decided it was better to kill him so charge him in! He didn't manage to kill him but with the help of the bone ascendant upgrade he brought him down and Yan gave the movement boost the Tanuki needed to try to prevent his monk from scoring (which failed as said higher :( ) 

score 1-1

Turn 3 was crucial for me! I got a pretty good hand and with initiative activated Yan Lo first who was in range of Shenlong and with the blood ascendant I threw 4 Darkest Magic attack against him and he used most of his chi and good cards to save him on 1 wound! 😧 He than activated Shenlong to heal himself and was brought back to 7 health. But happily for me Izamu was close and sealed the deal with some very lucky flip form my part and a Shenlong with no chi is very easy to bring down! :) With the death of his master my opponent decided to concede because he had nothing to stop me and I would have just steamrolled every thing he had left.

We talked about our schemes and I could have easily scored the first point of breakthrough but not the second and I would have gotten the 2 points for outflank. For the strat with his big model gone it would have been possible to kill 3 small models and scored another point on turn 4. (Izamu was close to his Low River Monk, Yan from his Wandering and Manos/Gokudo from 2 injured Lotus eater) But probably not the last point because he was very spread out and his archer who didn't do much during the game was very far away so impossible to kill. The score would have been 6-2 by our estimate. It was a nice game and I gave a few tips to my opponent about who to target with Shenlong because he threw him at my toughest and scariest models in the middle while my left flank was weakest

• Like 1

• 1 month later...