Will one of you go and do well at a tourney with guild?

4thstringer

25 minutes ago, Yore Huckleberry said:

I just went to a tournament of about 18 people (Des Moines, with the Schemes and Stones guys) and went 3-1-12 with guild. Now, I’m brand new and these were my 4th, 5th, and 6th competitive games of Malifaux, with maybe 4-5 practice games on top of that.

I ran Nellie against Shenlong in corner corrupted idols, and went 5-3 by doubling up on power ritual and outflank. If I’d positioned Nellie fully in the corner, I could certainly have guaranteed 5-4 and possibly a full tie there.

I ran Lady J against Jack Daw in Reckoning (surely a mis-choice by my opponent) and nearly tabled him at 5-1. Flank deployment and straightforward: I fired into his shuffling advance and sent the Lone Marshal to score Power Ritual, picking up the endgame points with the totem and Lady J. Would have gone 6-1 but we ran out of time for me to finish scoring Dig their Graves the second time.

Then I ran Nellie against Zipp running pigapault, 2 taxidermists, and a bayou gator with coffee. It was Plant Explosives Wedge, so he had a lot of tricks. This went 5-4 as well, with Nellie’s crew controlling a lot of AP and limiting his drop locations. If he hadn’t taken prisoner on my claim jump investigator, I probably could have shenanigan’d at least a point out of it, given how many tokens Nellie can cause to drop, triggering the crime scene to push enemies away.

The Jury was a great tech piece in that game because his summons had a mere two hp, so he had trouble getting use out of his pigs before they auto-popped. Plus handing obeys to the ook investigator or the shared keyword False Witness gave some good card cycling on top o the Printing Press’s Arcane Reservoir.

I think we’ve got serious tools. I wish Alison Dade had Don’t Mind Me; that would be an easier scheme runner take than a second master in Nellie. But Nellie also trivializes some things like Detonate Charged or Search the Ruins. And running Perdita in a Marshals list for Reckoning or Turf War seems super strong.

Undercover Reporter is an amazing tech piece that can threaten a lone turf war marker, or take prisoner easily, or deny a lone Power Ritual runner, etc.

We've got tools, for sure, and I think we’ve even got pretty good tricks; they just have tight margins right now until we unlock them.

I didn't think taxidermist put on a summon upgrade.

I think an important thing to remember is that GG1 is right around the corner. Wyrd has already said theat they're working on it. Given the massive differences between GG's before it will most likely cause a lot of changes to balance.

I don't know if wyrd is gonna stick to the two errata a year policy, but if they do the first one will most likely be in January as we've had ~6 months since release to judge the game. 

Another thing I've noticed is the lack of keyword strategy threads in guild, I find that these threads can take a crew from okay to good, as people start pooling all their tips and tricks and brainstorm (I'm trying to write one for family, even though my experience with the crew is a bit limited, just to get started).

Finally I think shenlong is gonna get hit with a big, angry and nailed bat and soulstone miner will get its own personal version of the old stunned so it can't take bonus actions (interact) while stunned. 

Have to say keywords have been fun almost every crew I run is almost all keyword if I can help it, I feel it does help learn the models and synergies.

There is some models that out of keyword feel like they synergise well, eg investigator with journalists because of the push.

Reporters with investigators for their stagger (notnusing reid till he is released)

3 hours ago, Angelshard said:

I think an important thing to remember is that GG1 is right around the corner. Wyrd has already said theat they're working on it. Given the massive differences between GG's before it will most likely cause a lot of changes to balance.

I would be very surprised if they went heavy on errata this early into new edition. We will likely see new schemes and strategies, but what kind of scheme or strategy would favor models that are not good at killing, surviving or moving?

3 hours ago, Angelshard said:

Another thing I've noticed is the lack of keyword strategy threads in guild, I find that these threads can take a crew from okay to good, as people start pooling all their tips and tricks and brainstorm (I'm trying to write one for family, even though my experience with the crew is a bit limited, just to get started).

I have a family strategy for you right here: Don't play family.

• Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 3

Weekend before last I traveled to go to my first M3E event. 10 players.

I only had a couple of games prior so results are more likely down to the commander than any underlying strength.

I had Justice, Sonnia and Hoffman with me.

Round 1 v TT. I took Hoffman and won 6-2 against Shenlong. He tried to assassinate early but ended up in the ball of metal death.

Round 2 v TT. I took Justice thinking Asami was coming, but Misaki arrived and beat me down to 4-5 loss with a smash heavy crew.

Round 3 v Arc. I took Justice again, against Colette. Was making progress but ended turn three 3-4 loss. More time may have helped here.

Round 4 v TT. I played Hoffman and now out comes Asami heh. Big grind in middle with summons slowing me down. I however I won flanks leading to 5-5 draw.

Round 5 v NB. I played Justice against Titania, put J out to tank and lure stuff in. She got to 1 wound and retreated. Then went on a murder rampage, winning 4-3 on turn 3 when ran out of time. 

Overall 5th - makes sense with 2 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses.

Fun times, has got me keen to play more.

Really feel Guild needs all 5 turns though.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Cronex13 said:

@Myyrä i havent bought the family stuff yet cuz I was always salty about a Perdita player who used to always kick my ass in M2E, but I've looked through em lately. What don't you like about em?

I don't like that there really isn't much to like. They are not the best at anything within the faction, or especially within the whole game. They are not even good when it comes to durability or mobility. Actually when it comes to durability, I can say without being hyperbolical that they are probably the worst keyword in the entire game. That is really problematic when you consider how strategies and schemes work in this new edition. It is practically impossible to score 2 points from any scheme unless you are able to keep your key models alive until the end of the game. Being really slow doesn't really help either.

Ranged combat is supposed to be family's defining characteristic, but as things stand, they are only the third best ranged keyword within the faction, and even that is mostly because Lady Justice usually has better things to do than use her surprisingly decent ranged attack. Now that I think about it, it's actually pretty impressive that Guards manage to be even worse.

Perdita used to be my favorite master in 2nd edition. I was doing so well with her that I actually stopped playing her, to make the games slightly less one sided. I would love to love the family keyword, but I just don't see much of anything that's good about them. Sure, there are couple of abilities that are quite good, but are they good enough to make the crew good at actually doing something? If someone can point out even one thing the crew is really good at, I would love to hear it.

2 hours ago, Starrius said:

Have to say keywords have been fun almost every crew I run is almost all keyword if I can help it, I feel it does help learn the models and synergies.

Initially starting in keyword will help a lot, but later getting a few OOK may help to both create crews tailored for the pool/adversary, making a more min/maxed crew or not being so predictable.

For example in this torunament, the positions 1 and 10 used the leader and 1 model of the keyword, the rest were OOK/Versatile models (Shenlong and Seamus). The position 3 used mostly Keyword and versatile stuff in most games (Misaki and Shenlong), but he also used a crew with few keyword models (Asami). I guess it depend on the player and the keyword.

Position 1: https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/146467-shenlong-lists/?do=findComment&comment=1199024

Position 3: https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/148108-uk-nationals-3rd/

Position 10: https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/148107-uk-nationals-resser-round-up/

• Thanks 1

I've yet to bring perdita to a competitive event but I've yet to also lose a game, I have drawn a few, with perdita, I've found her crew to be fairly aggressive and very consistent with what inwant to achieve.

I'd like to understand why you feel it isnt a good crew, maybe we can figure out something

10 minutes ago, Starrius said:

No it sucks to face tara as mccmounring where the average wp.of the crew is 4 lol.

Weirdly vs tara, except as mcmourning I've never lost to her.

We played it like close range gun attacks still got ignored by her trigger so she was untouchable for everyone except Francisco in my crew. My opponent got ridiculously lucky with drawing and flipping masks as well but I had to put pressure on her so she would stop eating my scheme runners (it did not work). Hoffman has the same issue as McMourning, everything is wp 4.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

We played it like close range gun attacks still got ignored by her trigger so she was untouchable for everyone except Francisco in my crew. My opponent got ridiculously lucky with drawing and flipping masks as well but I had to put pressure on her so she would stop eating my scheme runners (it did not work). Hoffman has the same issue as McMourning, everything is wp 4.

Yup that'll do it.

7 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

No they are not, unless you decide to only play things found in his 2e crewbox.

I have Wardens and a peacekeeper as well so I guess I have one model at stat 5 except Hoffman. :D Riotbreakers are also wp 4 but I don't have them yet. I'm working on the stuff from my Ramos box but I haven't had much hobby time but many dumb projects I'm trying to finish. Joss will be a nice addition but the steam arachnids are also wp 4. 

2 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

I have Wardens and a peacekeeper as well so I guess I have one model at stat 5 except Hoffman. :D Riotbreakers are also wp 4 but I don't have them yet. I'm working on the stuff from my Ramos box but I haven't had much hobby time but many dumb projects I'm trying to finish. Joss will be a nice addition but the steam arachnids are also wp 4. 

Howard and Melissa also have WP 5.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

My opponents know I don't own the jury. 😅 I might have to make a proxy. 

Jury is the best tech piece in the game IMO. She flat out shuts down Dreamer, makes Tara squirm, and makes any summon master have to think hard about what they are gonna summon in. 

2 minutes ago, Mrbedlam said:

Jury is the best tech piece in the game IMO. She flat out shuts down Dreamer, makes Tara squirm, and makes any summon master have to think hard about what they are gonna summon in. 

My local Justice/Lucius player uses her a lot. Just the aura removing suits after cheating and mirroring any damage done to her has been a right hassle to deal with despite not having summons or buried models. Well worth 8ss and quite possibly nine ook. Pretty good against the dead rider as well in a guild-guild matchup.

1 minute ago, 4thstringer said:

Are people really having success with LJ?  I have found her to be really lackluster.  I took her into molly last night and she basically killed herself.

I've used her she doesnt suit my style of play and I feel without the 2 amigos I'm missing a key piece, I'm hoping to get that box when its released to finish her keyword, till then she is kind and on a shelf for me.

@4thstringer I'm kind of on the fence wuth her. She seems lackluster. The whole "stat 6 vs stat 7" thing back in beta seemed like a solid debate, but seems like a pretty stupid debate now with the atrocity that is Shen Long running around. 

However, that aside, she's still pretty darned good at killing things in places all over the board. Hard to give her a lot of conditions to stop her, tough to get her out of position due to high WP.

If I was to state the one weakness I have with Lady J, it's my target priority. I get distracted easily, and my bloodlust takes over with her. Keeping her on track to kill the correct models is hard for me and as such, she doesn't always do what I need her to do during a game.