Creating Markers: Waldgeist and Germinate

ezramantis

So when a model "creates" a marker it cannot be placed in contact with another model (pg 28). 

So I can't just use germinate to create a marker in base contact with my Waldgeist and a nearby model to increase the range of my tangling roots.

I can only create 1 underbrush marker in base contact with my Waldgeist to extend it's Tangling Roots 1" threat range because underbrush markers cannot be place within 2" of one another. (A sad drop from it's 2" threat range and potential 9" threat bubble in 2e)

I can't use germinate to create a marker in base contact with one of my friendly swampfiends to help prepare them to use their Ambush action on their activation. (I can only place it nearby so that said swampfiends can move into it on their activation)

I can't use germinate to create a marker under an enemy model to slow them down with severe terrain. (I can only make a "wall" with 2" gaps and make them either weave through the forest or have their movement halved by severe terrain)

I can't use my Underbrush marker to bridge the gap between my Waldgeist and a nearby piece of severe terrain so that I can attack any model in that severe terrain with Tangling Roots, since the marker and the severe terrain would be 2 separate pieces of terrain not the same terrain.

Is this all correct? I'd hate to be hamstringing myself because I've misinterpreted the way the new rules interact with the new models.

That's a bummer. I was hoping I missed something and they actually had some tricks. Any "wall" I make might as well not be there with the 2" gaps. I guess I can create some concealment for protection at least. Just feels like I'm going to be telegraphing my moves if I try to set up ambush points (though that could be a good bluff once my opponent catches on). I love the models and my paint jobs so I'll probably keep playing them. Maybe I'll find something. Thanks guys

It is possible to move a marker once its on the board using Titanias bonus action, so you can create the wall.

Even with out that, its possible to ruin a line of sight to your models by offsetting the markers to not create straight lines they can use to bypass them

On 7/28/2019 at 10:33 AM, santaclaws01 said:

All correct. Germinate has a lot of restirctions put on it, especially when compared to making pit traps which you can just make a basically solid wall of hazardous terrain.

Well, Pit Traps are destructible terrain and don't give the best protection against non:melee actions in the game. Each time of terrain has his own benefits :)

1 hour ago, ShinChan said:

Well, Pit Traps are destructible terrain and don't give the best protection against non:melee actions in the game. Each time of terrain has his own benefits :)

Not being able to make a solid wall doesn't mean a wall of concealing terrain still can't be made. The only reason to not have them too close to each other is so that there are pathways through it, but all they do is impede movement.

On 8/1/2019 at 11:25 AM, Adran said:

Even with out that, its possible to ruin a line of sight to your models by offsetting the markers to not create straight lines they can use to bypass them

Did concealing incorporate "dense" terrain from m2e? I feel like I've been playing with these markers wrong now and letting myself be attacked through them. Waldgeists feel niche now.  If the board is good for it, that initial bonus underbrush marker can be really useful.

7 minutes ago, Sol_Sorrowsong said:

Did concealing incorporate "dense" terrain from m2e? I feel like I've been playing with these markers wrong now and letting myself be attacked through them. Waldgeists feel niche now.  If the board is good for it, that initial bonus underbrush marker can be really useful.

You can be attacked through them, although you have concealment. 

10 minutes ago, Sol_Sorrowsong said:

No, they just give concealment trait only, so all shooting and casting attacks targeting ur model will have negative flip for duel.

6 hours ago, Sol_Sorrowsong said:

Sorry if I confused, I meant that you can largely stop them bypassing the marker by moving to one side.