Low River Monk vs. Tanuki

mattbird

I am surprised I see so many talking up Tanuki, but not the lowly Low River Monk. As the latter is the best pure healer we have, I'd have thought him more of an auto include. I can definitely see fielding 1 of each, but I think Tanuki is being overrated, needing multiple 7's to pull off the 3 focus actions, which can be card intensive. LRM is more self-sufficient with his Chi and auto auras. 

Well, that's several games my choice has been turned to Sun Quiang. Such an awesome model to play with. Such a successfull model to protect your models !
Sure, he's more expensive than a tanuki/LRM, but his ability to save people is so much better !
The only crew I would not play him is... his own, which has already far enough healing.

I do still love tanuki, and I may not have enough experience with LRM. Also, my playstyle is very conservative with lots of healing and model saving.

• Like 1

I tried both and I was pretty happy with either.

Tanuki has far more utility than the LRM and this is why he is the favorite most of the time! Condition removal can be game changing against a lot of crews and the focus ups your dmg considerably! the healing of the tanuki is just cherry on top. If you know you are up against heavy dmging crew, the LRM is excellent and will buff the toughness of your crew considerably. But if you are not sure what to expect and you want a support the Tanuki is often a better choice! ;)

• Like 1