McMournign new list

zoso87

Hello everyone

I'm going to make a new attempt with Mc Mourning, I think it's a master with many possibilities, but I still have not known how to use it in the right way

What do you think about this list?

Resurrectionist, 50 SS
Soul Stone Cache: 3
[Masters]
  - Dr. McMourning, Leader
    + Grave Spirit's Touch
[Henchmen]
  - Sebastian
[Enforcers]
  - Zombie Chihuahua
  - Rogue Necromancy
  - Thomas Rafkin
[Minions]
  - Gravedigger
  - Nurse
  - Flesh Construct

Thanks!!

First thoughts I wouldn’t bother with Grave Spirit’s Touch..... he can heal enough anyway. If you want an upgrade I would run Killer Instinct for Ruthless instead otherwise I would save the 2 x stones.

I would probably look at dropping the Flesh Construct from the list and just summon it instead and use the points for a Guild Autopsy or Gasser if you want a cheap model for scheming or the Gasser for charging up more poison.

Main problem I have is the lack of Kentauroi...... they are priceless for everything they bring and I think at least 1 is mandatory.

13 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

The list I’ve been toying with is:

McMorning

Sebastian

Rafkin

Zombie chihuahua

flesh construct

nurse

Kentauri x 2

not like there are a whole lot of variants available in keyword but that is almost identical to what I was talking about in a group chat on FB- the only difference was I wasn't running the FC main. Instead I was looking at an Autopsy for a cheaper schemer or a Gasser (or two) for a cheap schemer and way to further jack up my poison at the start of the game. 

I have been thinking that w/2 x Kentauroi I wouldn't even necessarily miss the hitting power of the RN and the double Kentauroi definitely bring a ton of maneuverability to the crew as well as tools to deal with some of the tricky stuff. 

I acknowledge the value of the FC in the main list....and it prevents you from losing part of a critical turn 2/3 for the Dr. to summon....but it's still hard for me to pay for it oner just summoning one later. 

I’m not looking to try to arrange summoning with him. I think any effort to try to arrange summoning with him is most likely less efficient than not. If the circumstances just happen to arise then sure, but trying to get all the elements in place, at least at present, just seems super inefficient.

A hired Flesh construct is a scheme runner that can usually easily destroy the more common scheme runners if it needs to, and given how many wounds it has, and the stupid amount of effective regen it will have, is going to require a bigger hitter to come in and deal with than might otherwise be the case. Waiting until I arrange a summon, and until then using a fragile and easily destroyed scheme runner doesn’t, to me, seem like a very good idea, to save 1 or 2 stones?

That’s my initial take anyway. To be fair though I’m more focused on trying to get Red Chapel to work.

• Like 1

@Fetid Strumpet yeah, I understand. You "can" make it work pretty easily with a Gravedigger to get the markers set up for the Turn 2 summon but like you I don't play to set up the summon, I occasionally summon if the situation allows.

Most of the games I play with the Dr. I don't summon all game with him as I can't afford to "give up" the action on a critical turn for him to summon instead of attacking or doing something else. I had 1 game last week where I summoned on turn 2 but it was almost incidental. I had finished off a Waldgeist and ended up with 3 x corpses in range and had the extra action available and nothing really productive to do except walk...so I summoned. 

In most games though the only time he is free to summon is late in the game where it is almost win more or pointless as the FC can't interact on that turn. 

I have had some pretty good games with Redchapel lately but in all of them I was also taking out of keyword models (Archie, Nurse.....2nd Master) over staying in keyword. Maybe we should have a separate thread for some Redchapel discussion. 

We could do that at some point. I’m putting together a small tactica from my experiences playing Seamus, but I want to wait until I’ve gotten a little larger sampling of masters to play against since my meta is building again, but the masters owned are still small.

Like you I generally don’t build engine lists in 3e. The only list I tend to explictly summon in is when I hire Toshiro and also want an Ashigaru. Building to summon with McMorning, to me, is too much like the 1e lists that spent the first turns cutting up a mess of dogs and summoning off the body parts. I tend to find w Kentauri are great because they hit hard, give movement tricks, and in a pinch can also drop 2 markers a turn without needing TNs or cards. Been pretty happy with them.

On 6/22/2019 at 8:46 PM, Fetid Strumpet said:

McMorning

Sebastian

Rafkin

Zombie chihuahua

flesh construct

nurse

Kentauri x 2

I really like this list. I've been playing around with lists while I play Molly and paint up my McMourning crew and haven't been able to get past a list without a Rogue Necromancy, but this may very well do it! 

I play a variant of the above list:

McMorning

Sebastian

Zombie chihuahua

flesh construct

nurse

Kentauri

Death rider

Guild autopsie

this list is very fast with the 2 riders and the golem.
It allows to go very quickly to the melee on the scenario reckoning and for turf war to take the markers very quickly turn 2.
Doing a 2 ride with me on MC Mourning allows you to charge a target end of turn 1 and if you win the initiative to kill it at the beginning of turn 2 and then at the second activation make a ride with me to roll back Mc Mourning.
The advantage of hitting Mc Mourning is that from the start of the turn, the pressure is put on the opponent's hand. The attack makes it possible to discard the hand.

The death rider allows turn 3 to make a very important area damage is to finish the minions started and thus take the ascendant.

Sorry for my English, I'm French.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

hello, I tried Mc Mourning like this: Mc Mourning; Sebastian; Rafkin; Kentauroi; 2x nurse; 2x Gravedigger; Chiuaua. Turn 1 I already have 3 corpse markers to summon FC, turn 2 another 3 corpse markers to summon the second FC. Then with the nurses every turn I remove slow to the CF and I remove distracted from MCM. Very strong combo ...

23 hours ago, Banned said:

hello, I tried Mc Mourning like this: Mc Mourning; Sebastian; Rafkin; Kentauroi; 2x nurse; 2x Gravedigger; Chiuaua. Turn 1 I already have 3 corpse markers to summon FC, turn 2 another 3 corpse markers to summon the second FC. Then with the nurses every turn I remove slow to the CF and I remove distracted from MCM. Very strong combo ...

why 2 nurses? you can assist mcm to remove the distracted, gaining fast and then use the bottle of pills to remove slow

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Spyrer said:

why 2 nurses? you can assist mcm to remove the distracted, gaining fast and then use the bottle of pills to remove slow

I use 2 nurses because they help me draw the cards I want, I give support by discarding cards to the summoned FCs and in addition I love their "little favor" action used on my 3+ poison models to make them do extra actions at certain times. If you leave, sometimes I get Sebastian's poison bombs fired 4 times in the middle of 3/4 enemies.

6 hours ago, johanstrand said:

Tried McM, Sebastian, RN, Kentaouri, FleshC, Gravedigger, Nurse yesterday. Never lost that hard, taped out at end of turn 2 before any poison got rolling.
RN, Kentaouri, and FC melted like butter with their low DF against shooting with min damage 3.

Who were you playing against? How many min3 shots did they have? If you know shooting is going to be a thing and the board doesn't give you any protection, a Night Terror isn't a bad buy, even out of theme. Especially if it helps your RN stay alive longer. 

You should have started with quite a bit of poison and with good placement of the ZC get even more right away. Were you not able to heal the RN back up with a Blood Poisoning? It's not hard to get Poison +6 on the Rn first turn. Then you can heal 5 in one action. I've never had much luck with Kentaurai staying alive. That Df4 is just too rough for them. I fought during the beta to try and get them a 5, but it didn't work.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Who were you playing against? How many min3 shots did they have? If you know shooting is going to be a thing and the board doesn't give you any protection, a Night Terror isn't a bad buy, even out of theme. Especially if it helps your RN stay alive longer. 

You should have started with quite a bit of poison and with good placement of the ZC get even more right away. Were you not able to heal the RN back up with a Blood Poisoning? It's not hard to get Poison +6 on the Rn first turn. Then you can heal 5 in one action. I've never had much luck with Kentaurai staying alive. That Df4 is just too rough for them. I fought during the beta to try and get them a 5, but it didn't work.

Really good points, missed the Blood poisoning trick and relied on Catalyst for the healing. This make the ZC much more useful! 
Will try to change the Kentaurai for a Dead Rider, think it will survive longer and Ride with me seems useful for McM. 

Maybe replace the Gravedigger for a Night Terror if i´m up against a shooty list! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, johanstrand said:

Maybe replace the Gravedigger for a Night Terror if i´m up against a shooty list! 

With the nerf to Cover it's also important to make sure there is some Concealing terrain on the board. I don't think most people played previously with terrain that would be called just concealing. Forests, yes, but those are slightly different. Steam vents or patches of fog or other things that are just concealing and nothing else can help balance play against an all shooty list. Cover alone doens't help nearly as much as it used to. 

Oooh, I just thought of using some crates on a patch of ground to count as broken up bee hives with swarming bees. Concealing and Hazardous? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2019 at 8:46 PM, Fetid Strumpet said:

McMorning

Sebastian

Rafkin

Zombie chihuahua

flesh construct

nurse

Kentauri x 2

Finally got around to trying this list tonight (been focusing on Molly for the most part) and it was great. I played against a Youko crew in wedge deployment. One of Kentauroi was able to give McMourning a ride on round one. McMourning was able to walk charge a samurai with the ninja upgrade and take him out round one. He dispatched Hinamatsu in the second round and that pretty much sealed the game since most of his firepower was eliminated. I really like the composition of this group - thanks for the suggestion! 

• 3 weeks later...

I played a minor variation of that list into reckoning vs. Perdita. I dropped Sebastian for another flesh construct, so it looked like this:

McMourning, Rafkin, Chihuahua, Nurse, 2 Flesh Constructs, and 2 Kentauroi 

Against Perdita it was a bit of a slaughterhouse all around. The list worked well though with most of the crew sticking around longer than my opponent would like with HTW and poison. The downside to the two Flesh Constructs is that they cannot be carted around by the Kentauroi. I would have liked Sebastian for that purpose, but getting rid of a glass cannon henchman in reckoning is the right thing to do I think. I was able to win 7-4 and one of the reasons I was able to score 3 strategy points is that I killed Santiago in round 2, Francisco in round 3, and Perdita in round 4. 

One of the Kentauroi worked well in Vendetta vs. Francisco. They have such incredible movement with MV7, unimpeded, and ride with me that they can almost always get to their target and do damage. Once that is done they can make a run for it and hide out for the rest of the game to capture that second point (assuming you kill your target with someone else later). Of course you have to have a 9+ point model as a target. 

Of some interest (at least to me) was that I wound up summoning 2 flesh constructs in the game, which I didn't expect to do in reckoning. It didn't give him a point by allowing him to kill an extra model in either case but rather denied him points. I summoned them only as a defensive measure on McMourning's last action of his activation. He would summon the Flesh Construct in front of him and prevent most of the shooting. He had 8 models of which 7 could shoot, so that denied him a strategy point and both assassinate points. 

I'm enjoying the Doctor and really like his new art! 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
11 hours ago, Michael Curran said:

Doctor McMourning   W/ killer instinct

Chi Chi the zombie chihuahua

urse

kentori w/ grave spirit touch

grave digger

nightterror

sebastion

grave gollum

💀🦴💉🃏

I don't know McMourning very well, but...

The crew is already pretty tanky/regenerates, so grave spirits touch may be overkill.

Gravedigger - I don't know how well the summoning with a gravedigger goes with McMourning, but your list is just shy of having a third marker for summoning turn one. Perhaps bring a canine remains to help reposition the markers, or make room for another marker (even if it is just a mindless zombie with the points from the upgrade). Make sure to use the nurse to cure the distracted condition if you do summon!

Grave golem - one of my favourite models! It is slow and cumbersome, so it definitely doesn't fit into all scenarios.

Night terror really needs someone to make it discard to make it full power, so not sure if it'll fit into this crew. A necropunk is a better self-contained schemer if you want something OOK.

9 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Night terror really needs someone to make it discard to make it full power, so not sure if it'll fit into this crew. A necropunk is a better self-contained schemer if you want something OOK.

Really, flesh constructs scheme just fine in my opinion. With their access to fast they can move almost as well as the punk and are a heck of a lot more resilient. They are only one more point than either of those OOK. 

Grave digger ‘yolks’ very well with Gollum use as that initial corpse marker all but ensures your gravey baby is coming back.  They also allow McMourning to summon in a flesh construct with (3).  I like the night terror’s flight ability and concealing ability for the crew, but it all depends on the opponent I guess.

On 7/10/2019 at 4:16 PM, Paddywhack said:

A night terror may seem like a good choice because of the concealing aura but be wary of facing anything with a good blast/ricochet or repeat shot trigger. It is easy enough to engineer a one shot kill or big blast at which point they become something of a liability IMO.

All dependent on your opponent of course.

Edit - didn't realise how old this comment was, or that the thread was truly resurrected :D