Make 2 intro crews in NB

esqulax

So this is a problem I have had with Malifaux since I started. I have a very hard time making interesting and cool crews for intro games. 

Let me explain a bit what I mean. I used to play Warmachine/Hordes before I saw the light and switched to Malifaux and in that game it is so easy to make a couple of small skirmish crews that fight evenly and looks cool with the big warjacks and monsters. 

I own close to the entire Neverborn range in Malifaux and yet I can never figure out what to smack down on the table when I want to demonstrate the game for new players. I would like two crews that have a somewhat even matchup and that have some cool models that peak peoples curiosity. 

So what two crews would you make to demonstrate the game if (close to) all of Neverborn was at your disposal? Remember that this is an intro game for a completely new player, so it would need to be very small crews. Something along the lines of Henchman, Enforcer, Minion, Minion. 

I also despise both the visual and gameplay part of the Neverborn starter box, so that is out of the question. 

I'd look for strong themes, so possibly Nephlim, and have Nekima, Mature and two tots. (A lower form is the young Nephilim instead of the mature)

A second comparable team is a little harder.

juju, 2 waldgiests and a silurid might be close if you put the eternal upgrade on Juju. Its not as killy but its quite durable and schemey.

Huggy, 2 illuminated and a beckoner.

I like demoing with nephilim as well. I usually do Barbaros leading tots and youngs but if you need a big warbeast I guess a mature could fit. I've never tried to create a perfect match between two neverborn crews but Adran has some good suggestions. You could also do the Widow Weaver or Vasilisa with bunraku and wicked dolls. 

I've been trying to get undergrads interested in Malifaux, so I've been doing this a lot lately.  I haven't had much luck with my Neverborn ones (for some reason none of my friends have chosen neverborn!) but I've made lists all the same.  In general, I've had a harder time making lists in Neverborn, since so many neverborn models are glass cannons.  I can't imagine teaching someone with Candy/Cade/2 sorrows.

When I do it, I've been leaning towards something like the starter sets, so 1 hench, 1 enforcer, 2 minion (of the same type), so newbies would only have to learn 3 models.  I try to keep the SS cost about the same, so like a 8-9 cost hench, a 8ish cost enforcer and 2 5-6 cost minions.  Beyond the crews, I give each player 4 SS and have both teams work towards 1 Strategy (Ply for Information) and 1 Scheme (Search the Ruins).  This helps keep it from being a total blood bath, and allows for some movement / scheme marker / etc abilities.

Here's some lists I built for neverborn:

Aeslin

Cyclops

2 bultingens

Angel Eyes

Serena (or Lilitu)

2 Bloodwretches (or Young Nephilim)

Juju

Adze

2 waldgiests

Huggy

Tannen

2 Illuminated

• Agree 1

My demo crew pair is only half Neverborn. It is a cowboy vs big monster situation that should be able to draw people interest.

• Guild - Family
    • Francisco
      • Wade In
      • Lead Lined Coat
    • Santiago
    • Pistolero De Latigo
    • Pistolero De Latigo
  • Neverborn - Nephilim
    • Barbaros
    • Mature Nephilim
    • Terror Tot
    • Terror Tot
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2018 at 7:45 AM, esqulax said:

So this is a problem I have had with Malifaux since I started. I have a very hard time making interesting and cool crews for intro games. 

Let me explain a bit what I mean. I used to play Warmachine/Hordes before I saw the light and switched to Malifaux and in that game it is so easy to make a couple of small skirmish crews that fight evenly and looks cool with the big warjacks and monsters. 

I own close to the entire Neverborn range in Malifaux and yet I can never figure out what to smack down on the table when I want to demonstrate the game for new players. I would like two crews that have a somewhat even matchup and that have some cool models that peak peoples curiosity. 

So what two crews would you make to demonstrate the game if (close to) all of Neverborn was at your disposal? Remember that this is an intro game for a completely new player, so it would need to be very small crews. Something along the lines of Henchman, Enforcer, Minion, Minion. 

I also despise both the visual and gameplay part of the Neverborn starter box, so that is out of the question. 

Have you ever given any thought to demoing with a non-timed Henchman Hardcore setup?  Check the thread below for some good samples for that.

Some really good suggestions here guys, thanks a lot. I had not considered making a puppet crew. That might actually be pretty thematic while not being overly complex :)

What do you usually do for strat and schemes then? I usually go very, very low on that so it mostly turns into a punching battle, but interested in hearing what other people do. 

I demod the game with nekima. I wanted to give her to my Opponent but he insisted to Play the cool sniperlady and the Teddy.

Teddy died on turn 1, Angel Eyes on turn 2 and then he concedes. 

Do not demo the game with Nekima. And if you are desperate enough to do, under no circumstances Play her yourself. Bad Things happend.

I like to have one of the trap schemes where you want markers near enemy models, the one from the base rules where you mark terrain on the opposing side of the board and vendetta or murder protegé. This showcases that simply killing without thought is not as useful as scoring schemes. The strat is usually turf war in my demos. You want to avoid the feeling that this game is about killing but show that killing stuff sometimes accomplishes your goals.

I tend to start with a full 50ss games. I'll play the dreamer because I suck with him. Fill it with nightmares. I have not intruded anyone since the new upgrades have come out. I'll let them look at my masters (all NB most of guild) and make them a list for who the pick, including any models that they like the look of. My list would look something like the following. 

Declared Faction: Neverborn 
Crew Name:  50ss 
Leader: The Dreamer - Cache:(3)
   Tantrum 2ss 
   Restless Dreams 1ss 
   Otherworldly 2ss 
Daydream 2ss 
Daydream 2ss 
Widow Weaver 8ss 
   A Thousand Faces 1ss 
Teddy 11ss 
   A Thousand Faces 1ss