Manos looks awesome.

WWHSD

The new update for the Bad Things Happen app has the cards for the new models from the Undying box set. Manos seems like he's going to be really fun to play. He strikes me as a more streamlined version of Yan Lo that benefits from Chi to make himself stronger but doesn't have as much fiddly upgrade swapping to deal with.

• Like 2

Manos: 9 stone Henchmen with a stat-line that looks like it belongs on a 7 stone Henchman. He does get Wk6. He is an Ancestor He has a lot of abilities that involve Chi. He's got the same Harvest Chi ability that Yan Lo has, he also gets Chi when he suffers damage from an enemy model, if he has at least 3 Chi when he activates he gets Fast. If he is killed when he has the Chi condition he returns at the end of the turn next to a corpse marker with as many Wds as he had Chi. He has a close attack with an average damage track that does +1 damage if the target didn't cheat fate. The attack has a trigger that give Manos Chi. He has a short ranged attack that can only be used with Manos has Chi. It does 2 damage and ignores Hard To Kill, it has a built in trigger that allows Manos to lower his Chi by one to deal 3 damage instead. Finally he has a zero action that allows him to spend his Ch for an effect. 1 Chi lets him heal a nearby model, 2 Chi gives him Hard to Wound for the rest of the game, 3 Chi makes him a Spirit and allows him to place up to 8 inches away next to another model, 4 Chi gets him Reactivate.

Grave Golem: 9 Stone, Rare 1, Enforcer Construct. He is not Undead. Has a low Df3 but other stats are about what you'd expect. He's got Regeneration +2 and Hard to Wound. He has an ability that lets him discard when he would be killed to be buried instead and heal an amount equal to 2 x the number of cards that were discarded. He has another ability that causes him to Unbury next to a corpse marker at the end of the turn. If there's no corpse marker, he's killed. He has a beaterish close attack that has a trigger that can heal undead.  He has a zero action that allows him to turn corpse markers in an area into scheme markers and then bury. He has another zero that causes all nearby models to pass a Wp duel or become slow and take damage, it has a trigger to drop a corpse marker.

Mourner: Rare 2, 5 stone Undead Belle Minion. Stat-line matches what you'd expect for their cost. They are Disguised and Manipulative. If it is close to a corpse marker at the end of it's activation it doesn't count as having activate for the purpose of Manipulative. They have a weak close attack with no triggers. They have a weak short range attack with no triggers that heals the Mourner if the attack kills and Enemy Model. They have a 1AP action causes all Enemy models in it's engament range to get a condition to that requires them to discard in order to target a model not in base contact. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alexifer said:

I will never pay 9 stones for a def5/wp5 henchman, I don't care how many times he comes back. 

He comes back in time to score for the round. He doesn’t lose conditions like Shed Blood or Gathered Intel. He can come back anywhere on the table that there’s a corpse marker. He’s still the same model so he still counts for any schemes or strategies that require you to name a specific model. 

He’ll probably end up being a 3AP model quite frequently and will be able to give himself reactivate or place himself up to 8 inches away when needed and he’s got a Wk of 6. He’s probably one of the most mobile models that Ressers can hire.

Df5 and Wp5 isn’t that bad. I think most Henchmen have one of those stats at 5 and the other at 6.

It's also worth nothing also that he can't stay dead unless you can kill him with a condition, a model friendly to him, or sacrifice him. He gains Chi when he gets damaged by an enemy, and his Resurrection ability needs him to have Chi when he gets killed. Same timing point, so his controller gets to choose the order.

10 hours ago, WWHSD said:

Grave Golem: 9 Stone, Rare 1, Enforcer Construct. He is not Undead. Has a low Df3 but other stats are about what you'd expect. He's got Regeneration +2 and Hard to Wound. He has an ability that lets him discard when he would be killed to be buried instead and heal an amount equal to 2 x the number of cards that were discarded. He has another ability that causes him to Unbury next to a corpse marker at the end of the turn. If there's no corpse marker, he's killed. He has a beaterish close attack that has a trigger that can heal undead.  He has a zero action that allows him to turn corpse markers in an area into scheme markers and then bury. He has another zero that causes all nearby models to pass a Wp duel or become slow and take damage, it has a trigger to drop a corpse marker.

Bad juju 2.0?? (i don't have the app so i can't see all this abilitys)

8 hours ago, Lucky_Dice_6 said:

Bad juju 2.0?? (i don't have the app so i can't see all this abilitys)

It seems like they might be cousins.

They've got the same statline except the Grave Golem has Wk5 instead of Bad Juju's Wk4. They have the same Regeneration and Hard to Wound. The Grave Golem's attack has a bit of a flatter damage track, doing 3/4/6 instead of 2/5/7. Bad Juju gets a trigger that can Paralyze his target, Grave Golem gets one that heals friendly Undead. They've both got the Landslide ability but the Grave Golem has a trigger on his that generates a corpse marker.

The abilities on Bad Juju's upgrade are very similar to the "bury instead of die" and it's matching unbury ability on the Grave Golem's card. Bad Juju with his upgrade is the same cost in soulstones as the Grave Golem.

Bad Juju gets Terrifying Living (13) and Flurry that the Grave Golem doesn't have and due to being a Henchman can spend soulstones. 

The Grave Golem get's a zero action that allows him to bury himself. It essentially changes all nearby corpse markers into scheme markers when he buries. 

Given 3e is coming it’s sort of irrelevant, but am I the only one that thinks the Morners are really bad? Love the front of the card but I don’t see what they actually do to make being inefficient to kill worth anything. You can get inefficient to kill and useful for around the same cost as opppsed to slightly more inefficient to kill and useless.

Even with sinister Seamus the range on their feed on grief means they need to be in range to actually  make using him harder. Anyone see actual competitive use for these? They seem like buy to paint but not play models to me.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

Given 3e is coming it’s sort of irrelevant, but am I the only one that thinks the Morners are really bad? Love the front of the card but I don’t see what they actually do to make being inefficient to kill worth anything. You can get inefficient to kill and useful for around the same cost as opppsed to slightly more inefficient to kill and useless.

Even with sinister Seamus the range on their feed on grief means they need to be in range to actually  make using him harder. Anyone see actual competitive use for these? They seem like buy to paint but not play models to me.

I'm not particularly familiar with Ressers, but at first glance it seems that Mourners may be decent with Molly as a summon, summon them in your opponents face and use Molly's zero to put up Funeral Shroud, it at least seems like a use for them, but as hires I'm not so sure.

1 hour ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

My initial reaction is that Funeral Shroud could have used some combination of a bigger radius, lasting until the Mourner activates, or being an aura centered on the Mourner instead of a condition.  

Seems like their best use is to block off charge lanes and to force Wp checks if you want to attack them. They are probably a better summon than they are a hire. 

Their ranged attack isn't great but it is another Wp duel and isn't a :ranged  attack. 

8 hours ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

am I the only one that thinks the Morners are really bad? Love the front of the card but I don’t see what they actually do to make being inefficient to kill worth anything. You can get inefficient to kill and useful for around the same cost as opppsed to slightly more inefficient to kill and useless.

Exactly what I thought. I love the idea of them as these pitiful sobbing belles that can keep their manipulative up, but can't really think of a use for them. I guess they can force more wp duels, but I'd rather take belles, doxies or necropunks

Possibly useful in Ours as they can sit in quarters and are tricky to remove?

It seems to me that funeral shroud would be their signature action that would make them useful, but a 1" range is poor, maybe it should've been a 3" :aura

6 hours ago, WWHSD said:

My initial reaction is that Funeral Shroud could have used some combination of a bigger radius, lasting until the Mourner activates, or being an aura centered on the Mourner instead of a condition.

Oh sorry you'd already said that, my bad. Great minds...

• 3 months later...

I’ve been trying mourners with Reva in ply. She provides ample protection for them with her abundance in corpses and they acr as a hand drain. While limited in range, funeral shroud is still useful because it is unresisted and forces a discard for ANY action not taken while base to base. This means it will make stuck in enemies discard for the strat or for attacking things meaning Reva is more protected and that they will have less of a hand for retaliation.