Monthly painting challenge 2017 -- May

prof_bycid

7 hours ago, Franchute said:

I love the skin tone of Snow Storm @Kutslo. How did you do it?

I used a mix of old and new GW paints but sure they all have current equivalents. It was dheneb stone basecoat, highlighted with pallid wych flesh and then lightly dry brushed with white. I then used the sepia shade all over, but fairly lightly to try and stop it pooling too much. I then just did a final highlight of quite thinned down pallid wych to cover any raised bits that were too dark.

Didn't take too long really!

• Like 1

This month, I'm offering up a Guild Sargent. I ran out of my usual primer, and I think the new stuff I tried ate up some of the detail on her face. Or is she naturally baby faced?

Either way, as soon as May is over, the school year will be over for me, and I hope to offer up more models per month!

SbUQQ81nGiB_wby-Ts6TFNDp1AhBdiEbQJTS9VLY59FggFLtXbdlG_A6sPSA1oKXsR5eBi7pTyLDTp8CVvRWhwAzvbdKwozHH59UZ-jigw9IgsN5DE0e1QUqxozNh0pI3Mm0Sz49_ddI00dw1I1YztUojCaPgq9O85d1mg_9q9o4FlJGWtcWuniuGMD50ZXeFNtgixvTKGEfBFOZ5s16LaXdrtw1xjBizAqugMmycL2EIIf7ifjfIGyUMYnjolfN9iBPR1unTRLUL_Vwkm0w5hvAD87rOIRdBoccCatXt0ZS-sRuxeCvww0ayTlafkNasY179ZqMxnGzN0lI5yk9yQmRQRakbSCwc4zWdAMm42ePt1CyAmMzAENyJ4XbwazHuv674OtjRhSVtfX0ikgkadi_CsPehi3rblBWL815wKmImzO_HNynvatWk_SIYMImfBBZiNie9Hjj6AoeBWdrgJJR8BsTAIJCMBwJErzMzma2DJUN6vG_7Uyg5A8WKK7sMBip-EOD4DokzRFztMGqlBpw4IiKeb6iD0zoxEg9Qsh0_KzuEzREPnP0-u5An7Ta-Lb8NRUN2pRxjwcPjRo7d4nZS4iTO_CH1PVXdPir7nTk_LCl6PfA=w639-h638-no

On 5/6/2017 at 10:52 PM, LordZombie said:

Hopefully I can get it in gear this month.

You can do it, LZ!  You're not the only one to use them up.  Just think of it as confidently letting the first two go by because you know you don't need them.

• Like 1

So I might be mulliganing this month. My urgency to move has been stepped up. Last week I packed some of my books and when I tried to move my bookshelf, it fell apart. Rotted clear through. And there was a massive sprout of black, green, and red mold in a triangle all down the wall behind the bookcase.

But I'll be declaring what I didn't finish last month: Von Schill (15), his totem (3), 2 Freikorpsmann (10), Student of War (4), and Hodgepodge Effigy (4). 36 total. I might be able to find a day off sometime in May to do these guys.

I finished Rasputina for 15ss so far this month which at least covers me for my Henchman pledge level. Trouble is that I've got over a dozen more that need assembly/painting and that's further behind than o would like to be. I need to get Snow Storm and at least 3 more done this month.

IMG_20170512_231806588_HDR_zpsow0tgjyd.j

IMG_20170512_231838485_zpsmoogkfye.jpg

IMG_20170512_231857127_zpswpxwu3im.jpg

• Like 6

Work in progress shots of my Genbu and Luther.  Most of the base colours on there now.  The colour scheme on Genbu is based loosely on that of the eastern painted turtle.  I am planning on doing his plastron (I think that is what the ventral shell part is called---any herptologists out there?) based on a different species of painted turtle, which has a bit more character.  Doing the eyes on Luther is a joy after trying to paint squnity-eyed models half this size.  For the hightlights on the dark parts, like the cobblestones and Luther's hat, I am trying to make them more vibrant after seeing the work of others like RustintheCity.  I am also experimenting a bit with the metal on Genbu's sword (which I now notice does not show up in these angles).

large.May2017_TnH_WIP.jpg.89457be75c4a5390e53b7886b97db2e3.jpg

Not even half way through May---still lots of time to get some paint on!

• Like 4

It's not obvious from my pics, but Rasputina's eyes/face are better than my previous work thanks to Sandmann's tips last month.

Having the tools and knowledge help a great deal but I also still have to work with my own eyesight and brush control and those are somewhat limiting factors...

Ughhh, looking at all theses lovely models, I gotta get my self in gear and get some paint on some plastic. Gonna continue with the Asami crew this month, starting with a katanaka sniper and Ama no zako. Then I'm gonna start working on the minion summons (tengu, yokai, obsidian oni, and jorogumo). I have a really neat basing idea for the summons that I'm excited to share with you fine folks. Cheers, and happy painting.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2017 at 3:58 PM, Burnin' Coal said:

W.I.P....glueing and filling done...base colours underway...Mounted riders horse is built and filled but with just an undercoat so far so not in the shot....Carlos Vasquez starting to shape up....just as last month am really enjoying seeing other peoples models come together.

The mounted guard totally looks like she's about to shoot the malifaux version of "Gangnam Style"

Halfway through the month and I have finished my May pledges - plus a couple extras!
large.591ba784d9f31_Mollyandpunks.JPG.64

Molly has actually been complete since May 3, just finally gotten around to uploading her.
large.Molly.JPG.0c2176a654edcf58ad68eddf

And the Punks!
Punk Zombies A & B
large.591ba7947c7b2_PunkZombieA.JPG.3c4alarge.591ba79837bc4_PunkZombieB.JPG.9ef4

Necropunks A & B
large.591ba78cb7bb1_NecropunkA.JPG.e6c9dlarge.591ba791131a5_NecropunkB.JPG.e13d1

So thats Molly (15SS), two Punk Zombies (7SS each), and two necropunks (5SS each) for a total of 39SS painted! Still have half a month to go! Yin has found her way to the painting table :)

• Like 9