McCabe

RustAndTheCity

McCabe works with so many different models so I try to vary myself. Francisco is usually too good to pass up for me even if I know he is considered boring by some. At least one good minion, used to be a hunter for me. I usually take a single wastrel or warden to get min damage three or four with the saber if needed.

I always take Luna in guild. Hounds vary between 1 and 2, I very rarely take more these days. There are almost no pools where I feel I would need more and for one more ss the effigy is a lot more survivable, helps McCabe out and is about as schemey.

I usually take 2-4 stones (including.the two free ones) and stock up on models and upgrades instead. I prefer promises, lightsaber and badge of speed. In some pools where you need to keep stuff alive I take the elixir instead of the saber. Most of the time I'm facing players where I fesr heavy incorporeal use or high srmor values so I rarelyskip the saber. 

One or two beaters is nice, the saber does the rest. A highpowered minion to give reactivate is also a very good investment.

• Like 2

I like Pale Rider with Sabre.

I played a game with 0 dogs as it was Hunting Party vs Lilith. I played games with 2-3 sometimes.

Executioniers seem cool with Nimble.

Austringers are pretty nice with reactivate althought Thralls might take the reactivate now. 

Queeg is nice, because he`s fast, has can have promises, so McCabe can take a different up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RustAndTheCity said:

McCabe... 

What models do you like in a McCabe crew?

Is Luna an auto take in Guild?

How many hounds are too many?

What are your favorite upgrades on McCabe?

How many stones do you play McCabe with?

Is the brutal emissary worth taking with McCabe?

Does McCabe light some beaters in his crew?

Thanks!

Queeg, Brutal Emissary, Guild Hounds, Austringers and usual Frank.

Id say Luna is optional but she is the gift Guild gets from him. Luna and Guild hounds are very legit. I thake 3 to 4.

Since I thake the BE, you have a lot of options for upgrades. Otherwise Saber and Badge are perfect. Promises is there for Queeg. 

Usually end up with 4 stones more would be perfect but difficult to include.

I like the BE a lot with him. Light beaters are the Guild Hounds. Last crew played:

McCabe, Saber, Badge, Barbs

Francisco, Wade In

Queeg, Promises

Brutal Emissary, Conflux of exploration

Luna

4x Guild Hound, which could be changed to 3 and a reporter/effigy/watcher if you wanted.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RustAndTheCity said:

McCabe... 

What models do you like in a McCabe crew?

Is Luna an auto take in Guild?

How many hounds are too many?

What are your favorite upgrades on McCabe?

How many stones do you play McCabe with?

Is the brutal emissary worth taking with McCabe?

Does McCabe like some beaters in his crew?

Thanks!

-> nearly every single guild model, because that`s his thing - he makes them better and enables me to try them all in certain scheme/strat pools.

The new thralls are insane, Peacekeeper/new Guardian if you have to hold your ground, the effigy to keep McCabe in the fight and scheme, hounds for obvious reasons, the Executioner to make Colette/Molly/Collodi/...... confetti ;) Phiona is interesting as she`s much better if you speed her up a little and can drop markers while she hits the opponent, Francisco is not bad but not that dearly needed, the crew has enough tricks up it`s sleeves without him. Austringers are still good, especially if you consider the deliver orders.

I`m actually trying Wastrels again as there seems to be more synergy/flexibility with them than I thought one year before.

-> maybe not if there are zero interact schemes in the pool, but even then she`s a fast distracting piece and there`s always the option you might take the always, this plus the hounds help a lot with your bluffing game.

-> maybe 4, more than 4 too many for sure, as you are realstically 1up anyway (Luna), normally 2-3, if for nothing else then activation control and distracting, engaging....

-> all the upgrades he can give out are great, they can help with everything you do. Promises always go on McCabe, he wants to be in the thick of it anyway, he`s super mobile so can get the aura where you need it, and he`s just so much better if he has the auras benefit always available (he also hits quite hard if you want him to). I never take barbs, they sound cool but if I use the netgun, damaging the models would often be actally bad, and it takes up a slot on him.

-> cache plus 2 or 3most of the time, but 3 are actually an additional hound :P

-> Oh yes! You get a free upgrade! And you can box high priority targets if you can`t kill them just now, very useful. And his destined zero can be huge. Also, his pretty hard to shift in a McCabe crew, if you don`t want him to die.

-> Sure, as anybody else he like his beaters, and he makes them better (faster, more durable most of the time).

Nimbling executioners with a 1 Ap charge, regenerating Peacekeepers, reactivating thralls - great beaters, even better with McCabe ;)

The number of beaters you might want varies of course - the old Malifaux mantra, depending on your strats and schemes (although one or two should fit in most lists) ;)

Hope that helps, McCabe is such an all around good model so it`s hard to give like general answers to `non specific` questions imho.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2016 at 11:25 PM, Tris said:

-> maybe 4, more than 4 too many for sure, as you are realstically 1up anyway (Luna), normally 2-3, if for nothing else then activation control and distracting, engaging....

Just in case you are considering more than 4 of them, Guild Hounds are Rare 4. There are times where this is a good number to run but it really comes down to personal playstyle/strat & schemes.

• Like 1

Absolutely agree with the premise that 2-3 Guild Hounds usually are enough, the prime reason as to why I'm currently including 4 more often comes from the Brutal Emissary inclusion, which isn't mandatory but still very fun. Having it walking around with either Elixir of Life or Strangemetal Shirt. The latter works out with Guild Hounds rather well so your able to rely on them a bit better as usual. When you don't feel like losing the Brutal Emissary it becomes rediculousy tough to kill with Elixir of Life.

The best thing I like with the BE and McCabe is that it really allows you to split up the crew in small and very effective pockets. To which the only real choice your forced to make is to find a good spot for Queeg with Promises, a Queeg I usually protect with Francisco. The crew lacks the ranged capabilities of Sonnia and Perdita but certainly makes up for it with extremely likely hits, hard hits and also a good survivability allround. 

• Like 1

@JDAntoineyou don`t have to find a nice spot for Queeg if McCabe actually carries Promises himself :P

Also, hounds tend to run schems far off for me and only occasionally join the fight to disrupt, not sure if they would hold out that much longer with armour, and if that`s worth positioning my Emissary for :)

But good to see that McCabe is loved over the whole world^^

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tris said:

@JDAntoineyou don`t have to find a nice spot for Queeg if McCabe actually carries Promises himself :P

Also, hounds tend to run schems far off for me and only occasionally join the fight to disrupt, not sure if they would hold out that much longer with armour, and if that`s worth positioning my Emissary for :)

But good to see that McCabe is loved over the whole world^^

The option to stick Promises on McCabe is certainly there but the fun part of the Emissary is that he can toss Queeg into the places where the Guild Hounds have dropped their Schemes aswell.

I personally like using Guild Hounds in both ways, with the added armor they generally make themselves useful for whatever is demanded of them. 

But then you have whole rounds without promises on the field - don`t you have problems with that?

Or do you just keep a strict activation order here and it´s not of great concern for you?

(I mean, I hope you get me right, it`s not as if the whole list folds just because promises isn`t there anymore, I´m just curious :) )

2 minutes ago, Tris said:

But then you have whole rounds without promises on the field - don`t you have problems with that?

Or do you just keep a strict activation order here and it´s not of great concern for you?

(I mean, I hope you get me right, it`s not as if the whole list folds just because promises isn`t there anymore, I´m just curious :) )

During the first turn this is hardly a concern, for me they are all means to speed up this crew, a crew which is allready fast for Guild norms. :) 

I can only advice giving it a go and see what wouldn't work out favourably. As above it's very melee centric with some medium ranged combat options in there but the most of the ranged support remains to come from McCabe anyway, the added Upgrade to the Emissary also changes depending on if I expect a swarm versus heavy hitting against the crew.
The Armor becomes less relevant versus the heavy hitters and the Elixer becomes less relevant against swarms.

Ranged support from McCabe?

Ah, I think I saw hat you take Barbs regularly? That explains that^^

Sounds cool, as I said, I`m actually glad that there are so many different playstyles for Guild now, I think we are in a very good spot at the moment and could play nearly everything we want (master wise).

15 minutes ago, Tris said:

Really? :o

What went wrong?^^

Does he not fit your style? Or is it the aesthetics? (which masters do you prefer, in guild?) :)

I dislike playing McCabe even thought I have pretty good results with random crews against good opponents. I like playing offensive masters. Mostly Sonnia. Second most played is Nellie, because she`s crazy versatile. Then its probably Hoffman and McMourning, Lady Swordboring. Last is Perdita and old Lucius. I`ll give the new one a try but despite seeing the power increase I doubt I`ll play him a lot.

So, personal preference - I can live with that^^

For me, McCabe is actually a pretty offensive master, and I just love playing him - although the likes of McMourning, new Lucius (Nellie, but I don`t like her personally) also get going^^

Sonnia and Perdita are ok with me and I like their playstyle in certain match-ups.

Lady Swordboring is unfortunately the right way to describe her, but the models are sooo cool :/

As I said, I think I won`t regret fully joining the guild this year (I used to only play McCabe and McMourning on a regular basis) :)

Just now, Tris said:

So, personal preference - I can live with that^^

For me, McCabe is actually a pretty offensive master, and I just love playing him - although the likes of McMourning, new Lucius (Nellie, but I don`t like her personally) also get going^^

Sonnia and Perdita are ok with me and I like their playstyle in certain match-ups.

Lady Swordboring is unfortunately the right way to describe her, but the models are sooo cool :/

As I said, I think I won`t regret fully joining the guild this year (I used to only play McCabe and McMourning on a regular basis) :)

I play Sonnia basically every strat and scheme pool with more or less a fixed crew.

I`m testing Nellie because she shines when Sonnia has trouble. 

Lady Justice brought me to the game so I hope they fix her with her upgrades as I sometimes just play Badge of Office. Every other upgrade is overpriced or underpowered (including Lead Lined Coat which has the most restrictions EVER :D).

13 minutes ago, trikk said:

I dislike playing McCabe even thought I have pretty good results with random crews against good opponents. I like playing offensive masters. Mostly Sonnia. Second most played is Nellie, because she`s crazy versatile. Then its probably Hoffman and McMourning, Lady Swordboring. Last is Perdita and old Lucius. I`ll give the new one a try but despite seeing the power increase I doubt I`ll play him a lot.

I thought Lady J is an offensive master... Hmmm... ;)

McCabe might have had more of a hook for me if I knew the Indiana Jones movies and could toss in references. For now, if I want to be be loud and exaggerated I play McMourning*, and if I need to restrain that impulse I play Hoffman.

*"That head is the property of the Guild! I demand you return it to the nearest Guild mortuary immediately, sir!"

"Nope. Going to parade around with it on a pole." :)

--McMourning vs. Yan Lo, "Ressurrectionists? Never Heard of Them"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

McCabe might have had more of a hook for me if I knew the Indiana Jones movies and could toss in references. For now, if I want to be be loud and exaggerated I play McMourning*, and if I need to restrain that impulse I play Hoffman.

*"That head is the property of the Guild! I demand you return it to the nearest Guild mortuary immediately, sir!"

"Nope. Going to parade around with it on a pole." :)

--McMourning vs. Yan Lo, "Ressurrectionists? Never Heard of Them"

I see McCabe as Brendan Fraser's The Mummy, and the Wastrels are the Americans. 

• Like 4