Hoarcat Pride outside of Marcus?

Ergonomic Cat

I really like Hoarcats, both the model and their abilities.  But they don't seem to show up anywhere except Marcus lists.  

Do people just not like them?  Are they not worth their points outside of a beast focused list?   Do they occupy that valley of "Good, but other things are better for each master in the same range"?  Or are they used, and I just don't see them?

I've run dual Prides with Rasputina a couple times, and they've worked pretty great each time. Their Manipulative and penalty to Sh attacks tends to catch people off guard, and they're great for hunting down fast, cheap models, as they can just heal up from Eat Your Fill afterwards.

They do really good damage for a model of their cost.

• Like 1

You may see them make a resurgence with the new blade and claw upgrade but otherwise they're actually pretty awesome for 5ss and I have no idea why more people don't use them in other lists. They have decent stats and can hit very respectable, even giving the rail worker a run for its money. 

It's probably due to our masters typically having such strong synergy with a particular theme. Mei likes her constructs as does Ramos. Raspy has amazing in-theme options. Ironsides really want's M&SU and again has an already vast list of great options. I think there is space in Colette, Sandeep and obviously Marcus. There is potential for Kaeris but I'd probably find a better fit - again probably something more synergistic. 

I've taken one in my last two Sandeep games, originally because I brought the wrong case once, but they work well with him, as minions they have access to all his spells but they are great schemers that can hold their own and move damn fast. Great for hunting down necropunks and other irritating flankers.

7 hours ago, Jordon said:

Well it's actually pretty interesting running them with Sandeep as "eat your fill" doesn't specify which attack and so you can borrow arcane storm, kill a model from range and still eat your fill. It might not make much sense, but it sure is handy.

that I never thought of... 

• Like 1

I saw a pair of Hoarcats on the table opposite me in my last round at a 5-round tournament this weekend (Colette v. Colette, not intentional). As scheme runners, they definitely presented an interesting element and helped with scoring on Squatter's Rights and Convict Labor, though they did not stand up very long to the Coryphee Duet I sent after them*.

I definitely like the idea of running them with Sandeep. I've run some fairly predictable Sandeep/Kudra/Oxfordian Trio lists, but having just picked up the Hoarcat and University boxes, I'm looking forward to using Blade and Claw to do more than just flip Luther and Coryphee/Coryphee Duet around, and I think the Pass Through ability of the Hoarcat will be very useful for getting them into a position to set up things like the Valedictorian for serious, non-linear threats against targets of choice under Sandeep, or getting someone like Hank/Miss Step placed a considerable distance from where they deployed before they activate under any master.

Sure, they're not unimpeded, but that's 10 inches of movement towards flanks on a model that's harder to shoot at that comes in at 5 stones. With the high-quality constructs we have, that gives us multiple threat angles for kill-oriented scheme pools on a model that can also run schemes.

*the Coryphee had already done a lot of work, killing both Myranda before merging and Cassandra afterwards, so they were on targets of opportunity detail at that point.