Nellie: Table time first impressions

Hagisman

Last night I was able to get my first game with Nellie in. I'm hoping that other people might similarly have had a chance to get table time with her. Here is what I've found...

Nellie VS Titania

Guard the Stash: Convict Labor, Inspection, Exhaust, Setup, Leave Your Mark.

I took Guild Funds, Misleading Headlines, and Delegation. With a 5 ss cache. I took Inspection and Exhaust. My crew included Printing Press, Phiona with Wrath of Guild, Greed, Hunter, Warden, Guardian, Field Reporter.

What you need to know:

The Warden and Guardian stayed by one Guard the Stash marker while Nellie, Phiona, and Greed stayed by the second. The Hunter and Field Reporter stayed by the table edges.

Turn 1

Near the middle of the turn I activated the Printing Press to give Nellie +1 Evidence. Chain activated Nellie to give fast to Phiona, tried to give fast to another nearby model, but failed. I proceeded to use the +2 evidence to skip my activations which threw my opponent off. Since he was expecting me to get in his face sooner.

Phiona managed to ram into the Claw doing minimal damage.

Turn 2

Nellie managed to get up close to Claw to give him Mood Swings and Slow. Since Phiona was engaged with him already and he failed Wp test she got an extra swing. I forgot I had exhaust so I didn't activate early enough, I had no cards in hand and Phiona got Slow from an aura or trigger(can't remember). So I couldn't Exhaust the claw.

Hunter and Field Reporter got Inspection nearly uncontested. Field Reporter never saw combat and was out of LoS of everything. Considering that in a normal Guild crew the Field Reporter would have either been a Watcher(which is weak) or a 6ss model I'm happy.

I used Evidence to skip 2 activations again so that Phiona could get +flips and Greed could stay Manipulative.

• Scoring:

Titania 1VP - +1vp for Guard the Stash

Nellie -  2VP - +1vp for  Guard the Stash, +1 vp for Inspection.

Turn 3

Nellie gets Phiona to kill the Claw because it was on one wound, but the Claw gets resurrected by Titania's totem. Phiona manages to get pushed by another model to be within the center of the board and several enemy scheme markers.

I forgot to use my Evidence this turn. Didn't matter because I didn't want to drop another Scheme Marker for Titania to use to either heal or make me do Wp duels.

• Scoring:

Titania 5VP - +1vp for Guard the Stash, +3 vp for Setup.

Nellie -  4VP - +1vp for  Guard the Stash, +1 vp for Inspection.

Turn 4

Printing Press dies because I over extended him. Greed gives Exhaust to Waldergeist. Guardian dies. Stiched Together nearly dies but stays on one wound.

I used Evidence to give Nellie Hard to Kill, she was the only model within range. Not that it mattered.

• Scoring:

Titania 6VP - +1vp for Guard the Stash

Nellie -  7VP - +1vp for  Guard the Stash, +1 vp for Inspection. +1 vp for Exhaust

Turn 5

Greed exhausts Waldergeist. Phiona gives a model Exhaust. Warden is alive on one wound. Nellie gives Propaganda to push Waldergeist away from Stash marker, but Tooth manages to hold position. I didn't generate any Evidence this turn. Hunter moves from the side to assist in locking down the Stash marker with the warden.

I didn't have any evidence to use this turn.

• Scoring:

Titania 7VP - +1vp for Guard the Stash

Nellie -  9VP - +1vp for  Guard the Stash, +1 vp for Exhaust

Overall Impression

Nellie's upgrades were really good, but they were secondary for the most part except for Misleading Headlines and Delegation early on. Incite isn't the reason to take Misleading Headlines in my opinion, but Delegation was able to give a lot of my heavy hitters extra AP which they wouldn't have had before. Guild Funds did nothing for me, in most part because my opponent ignored Nellie which I think might have been a bad move as she is a support master. Nellie's first attack on her card very little, but helped build up Evidence.

Phiona Gage's Wrath of the Guild is a must take as she is already getting :+fate for attack flips against already activated models. Getting :+fate for damage is awesome.

Printing Press is a must have if just so Nellie can get an extra evidence early on. Arcane Resivour already helps her with having a hand size of 7 as well. Combat wise He's a distraction piece with all that armor.

The rest of the crew didn't get much play, but the Field Reporter being 4ss meant I didn't feel bad it was stuck in a corner doing nothing.

What I forgot:

Nellie's evidence at the end of turn.

Phiona's  :+fate for attack flips. I remembered the damage one, but didn't realize it was built into her card.

Greed's Manipulative one turn.

To activate Phiona early turn 2 to get Exhaust. Turn 3 she was engaged by too many models to get it off since you can't interact while engaged with multiple models.

What I got wrong:

Interacts - models can interact with any engaged model even if there are multiple models in the engagement  

• Like 2

(#) Interact: This Action is performed as part of another rule (usually a Strategy
or Scheme). The effects of the Action are listed in the individual rule descriptions.
A model may not declare this Action if it is engaged, unless the Interact Action
targets an enemy model.

So you can exhaust a model when you are engaged with multiple enemy models because the interact action you are doing targets an enemy model. 

• Like 2

Nice write up! It's going to be a little while before I finally get Nellie on the table ;) but I'm super excited about the possibilities of what she can bring to her crew.

You've said that Guild Funds didn't really make an impact, and honestly from reading the card and thinking about in game cases, I don't think it's a high impact choice and I probably won't take it too often. I could say the same thing about embedded, but with embedded I feel like there are tons of merc combos that could come from taking the upgrade and really want to experiment with them. 

I feel like there are 2 problems with Guild funds. First, the df / wp trigger is on failed duels. If it were after resolving I think it might be worth it as if she as focused a lot in a turn, she'd be getting some nice evidence to either use with the second part of the upgrade, spend on activation passes, etc. But with fails shes taking hits every time. Maybe I am being selfish, I don't know, but I just don't think it's as good because of that. Second problem is that the end of turn evidence thing is nice and all, but I will most likely be spending the evidence she gets before the end of turn. If I have that much evidence left over, I've done something wrong. I didn't push models who've failed duels, I haven't skipped activations, or I didn't use triggers properly. Maybe with that upgrade the goal is to hoard evidence to use for those buffs, but I see evidence being a little stronger being spent in other places.

Phiona looks awesome and I am really excited to try her out. I'm still not sure about her upgrade, but I have yet to see it in action. It might be amazing and I may love it as much as you do.

Something I am really itching to try with Nellie is a performer. (of course in addition to many other models) I can see her actually working really well with both Titania and Nellie to be honest. But the debuff she can provide from Seduction is extremely powerful if and when it goes off.

Another thing I'd like to try is with Anna, Hannah, and Aionus all equipped with Debt from the Guild. You'll draw 9 cards a turn and discard 1, before SS. Having 8 cards in hand is pretty strong.

There's tons more I could talk about and am excited about, but that's what I got for now.

• Like 1

No Printing Press on your card draw insanity?

I think Guild Funds has its place, but its not an upgrade I'd recommend to begin with.  Initially, playing the Evidence game "use it or lose it" will probably teach you how to best use it.  Long term, I think the Df trigger is the better half of that upgrade, but since you have more control over the other half, its likely to drive you towards a playstyle that doesn't make the best use of the condition.  Personally, I see the Evidence bonuses primarily as a way to make sure that attacks made against Nellie after she's activated don't get to largely ignore the Df trigger.

• Like 1

I played with Nellie and MADRE DE DIOS. She`s massive.

Had:

Nellie Guild Funds, Delegations, Misleading Headlines

Phiona with Debt and Wrath

Judge with Unrelenting Leader and Debt

Peacekeeper with Numb to the World

Printing Press,

Austringer,

Brutal Effigy

Opponent had:

Lynch with Addict and Ca on Huggy

Huggy with Fears and Malifaux Provided

Doppel with Thousand Faces

Weaver with Malifaux Provides

Iggy

2 Illuminated,

Tot

I lost the game 6:4 but I messed up the schemes etc. I took FFM on Peacekeeper and my opponent didn`t really have a way to kill him.

Misinformation is insanely good. T2 I had incite on Phiona and a mediocre hand so I waited 4 activations and charged her into an already activated illuminated for all the :+fate.

Incite: allows you to have a nice start even if you lose initiative.

Delegations: T1 I slowly advanced and made Peacekeeper and Phiona Fast.

Pringing press continued to slow down huggy because she hits on Df. She`s hard to take down, bogs down enemies and can charge 9" :D

Judge with A Debt to the Guild hit huggy for 18 damage from Combat Effectiveness because of Debt and Fast.

Phiona is a very tough nut to crack. I didn`t use her to her full effectiveness though as I only swung her pick axe. 

Didn`t paint the reporters so can`t say more as I didn`t field them.

6 minutes ago, trikk said:

I played with Nellie and MADRE DE DIOS. She`s massive.

Had:

Nellie Guild Funds, Delegations, Misleading Headlines

Phiona with Debt and Wrath

Judge with Unrelenting Leader and Debt

Peacekeeper with Numb to the World

Printing Press,

Austringer,

Brutal Effigy

Opponent had:

Lynch with Addict and Ca on Huggy

Huggy with Fears and Malifaux Provided

Doppel with Thousand Faces

Weaver with Malifaux Provides

Iggy

2 Illuminated,

Tot

I lost the game 6:4 but I messed up the schemes etc. I took FFM on Peacekeeper and my opponent didn`t really have a way to kill him.

Misinformation is insanely good. T2 I had incite on Phiona and a mediocre hand so I waited 4 activations and charged her into an already activated illuminated for all the :+fate.

Incite allows you to have a nice start even if you lose initiative.

Delegations: T1 I slowly advanced and made Peacekeeper and Phiona Fast.

Pringing press continued to slow down huggy because she hits on Df. She`s hard to take down, bogs down enemies and can charge 9" :D

Judge with A Debt to the Guild hit huggy for 16 damage from Combat Effectiveness

Phiona is a very tough nut to crack. I didn`t use her to her full effectiveness though as I only swung her pick axe. 

Didn`t paint the reporters so can`t say more

Incite on Phiona? 

Seems like a cute little list. I also managed to play one game using Nellie yesterday. I had

Nellie +4ss pool
+Guild Funds
+Delegation
+Misleading headlines

Printing Press

Phiona
+Transparency

Francisco
+Wade In
+Hermanos De Armas

Sidir
+By Your Side
+Promises

Austringer

Field Reporter

Field Reporter

My opponent played Reva. I could put exact his list here as well, but I'm not sure anyone cares. He had crewbox minus one shield bearer plus Nurse, Yin and Izamu.

The henchmen were pretty bonkers. Nellie gave all of them fast on the first turn and then focused on scheme running, because she wasn't even necessary after that. I ended up winning the game 9-2. Field Reporters are really really good if there are multiple scheme marker oriented schemes around. My opponent ended up despairing and taking only 2 VP for detonate the charges after I removed 4 of his scheme markers in a single turn.

I actually just wanted to try out different models. I think what Nellie does is do the same as McCabe. You can take the models you rarely take because of how slow they are and suddenly Peacekeepers, Sidirs, Samuels etc. become at least pretty decent.

Your list also looks pretty good but I want to avoid Francisco for now. What was the scheme pool? What did you take?

I had Headhunter (2 points), Exhaust their Forces (2) and FFM on Peacekeeper(0)

My opponent had Headhunter(1), FFM on Illuminated (3) and Take Prisoner on Effigy (2)

Whats your take on the activation passing? Seems like a pretty funny trick. I also hope to give Papa Loco Fast and HtK from Guild Funds to blow him up 3 times :D

Deployment was corner. Strategy was Headhunter. Schemes were Convict Labor, Take Prisoner, Exhaust Their Forces, Mark For Death and Detonate The Charges. I took Convict Labor (2) and Detonate The Charges (3), but I probably should have taken something else instead of Convict Labor (or maybe not, because the opponent doesn't really want to go close to the scheme markers when Detonate The Charges is in the pool). My opponent had Detonate The Charges (2) and something else he never revealed.

Francisco isn't really that essential for the list and could be replaced with Judge or Bishop for example, but they both cost a bit more.

So we just had 2 different schemes. I should definitely not opt for FFM. Take Prisoner would be a lot better since I have to exhaust anyway.

I seriously am starting to think about getting an Oiran. The Wp buff for DM is pretty nice as if you lock up Wp6-7 models they can`t easily get out.

4 minutes ago, trikk said:

I seriously am starting to think about getting an Oiran. The Wp buff for DM is pretty nice as if you lock up Wp6-7 models they can`t easily get out.

With Franc, Abuela and Perdita you can get a Wp 10 DM. That's almost good enough to keep Zoraida in the box if you somehow manage to get her in there.

• Like 1

I play a lot of Neverborn and I think the Oiran can make a nice difference as it basically gives me a free turn before Web Markers start to work. It also helps with all those manipulative/horror checks. With Nellie if I drop Guild Funds for Embedded and hire some more mercs its actually 5SS and gives you an option for Lure.

19 minutes ago, trikk said:

I play a lot of Neverborn and I think the Oiran can make a nice difference as it basically gives me a free turn before Web Markers start to work. It also helps with all those manipulative/horror checks. With Nellie if I drop Guild Funds for Embedded and hire some more mercs its actually 5SS and gives you an option for Lure.

Promises is better against Manipulative and Horror duels and also plays well with Ml models Nellie likes.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, trikk said:

Fair point, but why not both? You also get the Lure (even if it needs a suit its still Ca8). It also requires upgrades.

There's very little incentive to play Nellie with Minion heavy list, and every enforcer and Henchman will want upgrades now. But sure, you could also bring an Oiran, especially if you take Embedded on Nellie.

26 minutes ago, trikk said:

Whats your take on Reva?

What suprised me was her ability to drop scheme markers so well. She also has good damage, and is at her core a very simple master to play. She does have enough tricks for a more advanced player to get more mileage out of her as well. I think she might be the best resser master for a new player.

2 hours ago, Myyrä said:

She is very good with Nellie, but I probably won't be using her with other masters a lot unless I need Transparency for dropping markers near enemy models.

I`d say she`s ok with other masters but nothing spectacular. She has a better version of Enfratente a Mi! (it has 8" range, requires a 5 card but you can take a swing), can create a pillar with hard cover which might help on certain tables.

I`m tempted with using her with Sonnia.

11 minutes ago, trikk said:

She has a better version of Enfratente a Mi! (it has 8" range, requires a 5 card but you can take a swing),

I wouldn't necessarily call it better, because she can't use it while engaged and can only use it against engaged targets. When it works it's better, but it requires some pretty specific conditions to be usable.

• Like 2

I tried Nellie again last night. It was

Sandeep vs Nellie

Strategy

Interference

Schemes

Convict Labor

Exhaust their Forces**

Leave your mark**

Setup

Occupy their Turf

**Both of us took these

Nellie's Crew

50 SS Guild Crew
Nellie Cochrane + 5 Pool
 - Misleading Headlines (1)
 - Embedded (1)
 - Delegation (1)
The Printing Press (3)
Phiona Gage (8)
 - Wrath of The Guild (1)
 - Lead Lined Coat (2)
Lust (8)
 - Numb To The World (1)
Envy (8)
Guild Austringer (6)
Guild Hound (3)
Guild Hound (3)
Guild Hound (3)

(exported from CrewFaux)

Summary

• Nellie took Embedded to hire Envy and Lust. Envy killed a couple models, but Lust was relegated to scheme running for Leave Your Mark which only netted me 2VP:(
  • Phiona Gage was relegated to giving out Exhaust. This Netted me 3vp, but wasn't killing anything.:(
  • Nellie used Delegation to give Fast to an Austringer, Phiona, and Lust turn 1. Fast Austringers are really good, but that's a given.:lol:
  • Printing Press accidentally killed itself by killing a nearly summoned Fire Gamin. Now I know why my opponent wasn't cheating.:mellow:
  • Guild Hounds were supposed to be my interference and scheme runners, but they ended up just being a 9ss distraction for one of Sandeep's Guard minions and the Arcanist Lawyer. The Arcanist Lawyer killed the scheme runners pretty easily.
  • I only got points for Interference because of the Austringer in my back field and for Lust being on his uncontested table corner.
  • For some reason my Opponent ran Sandeep, Arcane Effigy, and the Valedictorian to within the 6 inches of the center of the board.

Closing Thoughts

• Embedded wasn't used to its full effect.
  • Lust could have easily been replaced with a 4ss Field Reporter for what she did.
  • my opponent and I both took the same schemes but he managed to deny my vp better than I could his
  • I forgot Nellie's cheat the opponent's damage ability when I was Red Jokered.

I played her 2/4 times last weekend during a tournament (Just had to run one game with Lucius, and first round was Henchman Hardcore with Dashel).  Won all my games, scored 32/37 possible points.

The list I played both times:

Nellie w/ Guild Funds, Misleading Headlines and Delegation

Phiona w/ Wrath of the Guild

3x Field Reporter

2x Executioner w/ Ready to Work

Pistolero de Latigo

Printing Press

I liked this list, the first turn or two I had two fast Executioners, which is pretty scary (threat of like 19" with (1) Charge from Ready to Work).  They were instrumental in tying up my opponent's list; either just causing chaos on turn two or three and letting my run schemes/mess with my opponent's list and/or kill important pieces.  I had one of them kill three other models in my opponent's army; while I had another beat down some of Marcus's beasts (took down Cojo to HtK and tied up Miranda).  Phiona is an excellent bodyguard/territory protection piece.  Totally worth her points.

Nellie was great.  Incredibly annoying for my opponent; at one point I used Hot off the Presses on turn 5 to throw Marcus back into the center of table after he was hiding on my side of the board trying to get bodyguard and whatever the scheme is where they remove markers from your side of the board to score.  By setting up the printing press to engage him once he got there, I was able to effectively deny my opponent a couple victory points at the end of the game.

She's pretty fun though; I like her style of misdirection.  She was never really targeted throughout the game, but the one time that people threw down cards against her, I had the black joker in my hand to make sure that she was going to go through unscathed.

• Like 3