What to buy next..?

Merellin

So, I assembled all my models (Ophelias crew box, And a box of Slop Haulers) in record time (For me) and then had my first match. And while I normaly dont like assembling models for other games, I quite enjoyed building the Malifaux models! So.. Now I want to build more models.. Anyone got any recomendation of what to buy next..?

It depends on whether you want to branch out into new masters yet. 

If you are interested in another master then the Somer box would be a good option along with another box of bayou gremlins.  This would let you play summoning or support Somer.

If you don't want to go for a new master yet then I would recommend Old cranky, Sammy, Merris, Burt and Gracie. Old Cranky is really good with Ophelia as you will manage to add soul stones several times a game. Sammy is a very good distraction piece as she can limit enemy models. Also if you attach My Threatin Gun upgrade to Sammy you can use the 0 action to make Ophelia shoot stuff. 

Burt and Gracie are both good beater models in their own right and also work well together. Gracie can also add some mobility to other models with saddle. 

Only thing I worry about with Som'er's box is that the Skeeters look very troublesome to assemble.. And I hear they are too big for their bases.. I do kind of want Ulix, And Mah Tucket, And Som'er, Sometime down the line though. I considerd getting Ulix, He looks like fun (Based on his card on the Wyrd website) but I dont realy have anything he'd want.. Exept maybe Slop Haulers..

Ulix will take some investment, but he's great. He'd complement Ophelia in that his playstyle is completely different, and tackles different Strategies and Schemes. He does really need a box of Piglets and a War Pig at the very least to get his summoning going, though. The upgrade 'Corn Husks' allows Piglets in LOS to the holder (typically Old Major, the Henchman in the Hog Wild box) to take (1) Interact Actions as a (0) action, and to remove enemy Scheme Markers without taking an action. This is great for schemes like Distract or Cursed Object, and against any scheme that involves your opponent putting down Scheme Markers. The Sow or Gracie and Burt have great synergy with him too. (Check out his Pull My Finger wiki page, as well as Old Major and the other pigs, if you want to know more about Ulix.)

I've been playing Ulix recently at 50ss with lists that go roughly like this:

- Ulix with Dirty Cheater, Husbandry (summoning upgrade) and the Hunting Bow (can make a pig go on a rampage)

- Penelope (or Old Cranky)

- Old Major with Corn Husks

- Gracie with Saddle

- Burt Jenkins with Dirty Cheater

- Merris Lacroix (for scheme running, easily replaced with another of the Lacroix e.g. Francois)

- Slop Hauler

and three Piglets and a Warpig on the side for summoning in (typically three Piglets on turn one, then a Warpig on turn two!)

With Hog Wild, Piglets and a Warpig you could run a similar list, swapping out Gracie, Burt and Merris for other Lacroix, Wild Boars or a second Slop Hauler.

Som'er would be good as another Master, and you can use your Young Lacroix as stand-ins for more Bayou Gremlins if you want to try summoning. Lenny is a great addition to any Gremlins crew.

The skeeters don't really fit on their bases, but it's pretty easy to make flying bases for them, with a pin vice and either old Games Workshop style transparent flying rods or some wire(I can post a picture guide if you have some of these handy, or just google 'Malifaux Skeeters' for some examples). Alternatively you could build up the 30mm base with some cork or something to give them a surface to stand on.

Hope that helped, welcome to Gremlins :)

Yeah those Skeeters are pretty nasty if you don't take your time and properly work out how it all fits. One of mine has an upside-down leg and both its wings broke off, but I find it kinda charming. What I did for the base problem was to use some of the sprue to make a flight stand. You could always use a real flight stand too if you're not as cheap as I am.

Burt & Gracie are some great buys if you're not sure where to go next - they fit well in basically any crew (particularly Burt). Same with McTavish actually, and he's a pretty interesting model to put together.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Merellin said:

Only thing I worry about with Som'er's box is that the Skeeters look very troublesome to assemble.. And I hear they are too big for their bases.. I do kind of want Ulix, And Mah Tucket, And Som'er, Sometime down the line though. I considerd getting Ulix, He looks like fun (Based on his card on the Wyrd website) but I dont realy have anything he'd want.. Exept maybe Slop Haulers..

Well Ophelia, Som'er, and Ulix make a pretty potent trio with Som'er sharing models with both the other Masters. Though I am partial to Som'er myself, Ulix is fairly easy to get into by just adding the Sow and a box of Piglets (needed for her summons). The Warpig is another good consideration as Ulix can summon it as well. After that a Hog Whisperer can be nice but isn't strictly necessary. Som'er likes these models as well, particularly the Piglets which Lenny can summon.

Either crew box (Som'er or Ulix) is going to want/need additional purchases to really be filled out. Of the two, Som'er may be the cheaper option since you can always go "elite Som'er" with the Ophelia crew box.

11 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

Same with McTavish actually, and he's a pretty interesting model to put together.

Is McTavish modelled standing next to his gator, or astride it?  It looks like in the artwork he's riding the thing, and in the render he's dismounted.  I'd be pretty keen to convert him to riding - when I finally get him - but that's probably a bit of work, right?  Ta!

Hmm.... Ulix looks like fun.. But building and painting many pigs dont seem as fun.. How is Mah Tucket and her crew? Otherwise i might get a box of stuff for Ophelia, And then a new human master (Wanna have a few other masters that are not gremlins.. xD) and some stuff for the human master too..

3 hours ago, Merellin said:

Hmm.... Ulix looks like fun.. But building and painting many pigs dont seem as fun.. How is Mah Tucket and her crew? Otherwise i might get a box of stuff for Ophelia, And then a new human master (Wanna have a few other masters that are not gremlins.. xD) and some stuff for the human master too..

Painting pigs really isn't that difficult and they can be fun to model since you generally want to spice up their bases to distinguish them from one another.

2 hours ago, Merellin said:

I think one of the other guys who decided to start Malifaux after watching us play has orderd Som'er so I probably wont get him now. Ulix still seems like fun though ^_^

If you like to move around a mass of ragin piglets of various dimensions  it sure is :D Also you have some nice tricks you can pull off once you get some expirience with it! It's amazing what ulix can make pigs do

You know what, i'm gonna try to focus on Gremlins and get every Gremlin Master! Hmm.. I'm not getting Som'er yet since a friend got him, And I'm thinking of waiting with Ulix too since right now, I feel like Gremlins over pigs.. So.. Mah Tucket or Wong or Brewmaster.. Hmm...

I already got Ophelia so currently the choise is between Brewmaster, Wong and Mah Tucket. Putting off on Som'er cus a friend got him, And Ulix cus I want gremlins right now.

If I get Wong, What one or two extra boxes should I get with him? I currently own a box of Slop Haulers and Ophelias Crew Box.

13 hours ago, Merellin said:

I already got Ophelia so currently the choise is between Brewmaster, Wong and Mah Tucket. Putting off on Som'er cus a friend got him, And Ulix cus I want gremlins right now.

If I get Wong, What one or two extra boxes should I get with him? I currently own a box of Slop Haulers and Ophelias Crew Box.

Sammy LaCroix is an excellent addition that both Wong and Ophelia love. I'd certainly get her first.

After that, you have a lot of choice. Bayou Gremlins, McTavish, Burt Jebsen, Merris LaCroix, Gracie, Old Cranky, Piglets, Hog Whisperer, Creative Taxidermy - all add something. I'd get Sammy, play a few games with both Wong and Ophelia and then add whatever you feel you're lacking. If it's killers, add Burt, Gracie, or Burt, if it's Schemes, add Merris or Bayou Gremlin, if it's buffs add Old Cranky, and if it's interference and general tricks, add Piglets or Hog Whisperer.