Your best list with these models

echarlie

Well honestly it looks like you have the bases covered for Ophelia but Wong is a bit conspicuously missing some of his usually cronies. From what you have posted it looks like all you should really consider buying would be the Lightning Bugs (assuming of course you have the Young Lacroix's totems already). This will give you two Masters and their crews to run with. You can look for Wong's totem on Gadzooks site here.

35 minutes ago, Omenbringer said:

Well honestly it looks like you have the bases covered for Ophelia but Wong is a bit conspicuously missing some of his usually cronies. From what you have posted it looks like all you should really consider buying would be the Lightning Bugs (assuming of course you have the Young Lacroix's totems already). This will give you two Masters and their crews to run with. You can look for Wong's totem on Gadzooks site here.

Do Lightning Bugs are really necessary in Wong's crew?

They have received some "glowing" endorsements on the forums. Pullmyfinger under Wong's entry states;

Wong has great synergy with the Lightning Bugs due to their Blast Resistance and Knock It Off! abilities

And under their entry states;

These Bugs really work well with Wong, since you can often Blast onto them and then let them take a 1 AP action (often the Magic Blasty Stick) against the same target Wong just hit. They also work well against any model which might put Blast or Pulse damage onto it. The ability to slice through Armor makes these guys an almost auto include against Arcanists (an Armor heavy faction).

Leave It To Luck will stack! So multiples of these guys can make life miserable for anything downrange from them. Keep a model within 6" of them for the auras to work! This can make low masks valuable since they can be up to (or over depending upon how many you have) +6 for flips and cheats if they are masks (if within 3 auras).

Lightning Bugs can be used as scheme runners who are a bit more durable than Bayou Gremlins and can afford to use Reckless more often.

They can also be used as healers, particularly with Som'er Teeth Jones who can guarantee them a mask for their heal trigger. You will need to damage a model to get the heal to work, but the amount of healing you can put out is much more than the equivalent from a Slop Hauler provided you position well.

Seems like a pretty good start without spending a ton of money for other options.

56 minutes ago, echarlie said:

I read somewhere that people run Hannah with Wong and lightning bugs for nearly the same reason. Something about blast immunity.

Hannah also makes a good target for Glowy.  A lot of Gremlin players will look to mercenaries for some of the more exotic Glowy targets.   Lazarus is also apparently hilarious since his gun hurts even before you juice it up.

generally imo there are 3 ways you can play Wong depending which limited upgrade you take.

Model is magic: If you take the glowy upgrade you're going want a big hitter to put that on. Gracie with saddle carrying around a Lenny can do some serious damage. Downside is it is expensive and Gracie goes down pretty fast to anything that ignores armor.

Gremlin's Luck: Gremlin's luck gives you a lot more control on shooting into combat and getting Wong's pulses off. For this upgrade I love his totem and Burt to help gather models together. I find this way Wong is pretty self reliant, but lightning bugs can help catch people in combat and then you shoot them and hopefully if the bug survives gets to make another attack. 

Combine the 2 with Sammy. Fun Fact but Sammy can also make a pretty good glowy target and she can carry around the glowy upgrade. 

In Malifaux you build your list after you've heard your opponent's Faction (this doesn't usually affect things too much), seen the terrain (this can be important - sparse terrain makes ranged options better, for example), and, most importantly, the Strategy and Scheme pool for the game. This latter part has a huge effect on what sort of list you should build. Reconnoiter favours lots of models while Reckoning calls for a more elite build.

That said, here's a 50SS list made from what you have available:

• Wong + Liquid Bravery, Ooo Glowy (7 Pool)
  • Burt Jebsen + Dirty Cheater
  • Francois LaCroix + Stilts, Dirty Cheater
  • Merri LaCroix
  • Gracie + Saddle
  • Slop Hauler
  • Slop Hauler

Very elite but workable. You have Merris to perform Schemes, Slop Haulers to heal and debuff, Burt and Francois to wreck face and Wong can ride around in style in Gracie's Saddle so he doesn't need to expend AP for walking but can Focus on Focusing and blasting stuff.

The biggest problem is that you're lacking good cheap Minions - a role which Lightning Bugs fill very nicely. If you want a totem, I would suggest getting Old Cranky as he is a good choice for Wong and Ophelia both.

55 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Francois LaCroix + Stilts, Dirty Cheater

Undoubtedly a solid list - speaking of general purpose.

However, I quote Math saying that the most beautiful thing is this game is the possibility to draw crew after schemes/strat are pulled out. This gives you a tremendous skill interaction with your knowledge of the game - and it makes games funny and various too!

So I would suggest to start playing with models you have few times and see what you like and you feel is missing.

I would also add McTavish to your next buying list...with ooo slowy is just amazing.

Trixibelle is another piece that I very rarely do not play. 

Math, do you believe Stilts is a good upgrade on Francois? And Liquid Bravery on Wong too?

I've never considered these both a valid choice, still my gremlin experience is made of 6 games so far :huh:

1 hour ago, Blacks85 said:

Math, do you believe Stilts is a good upgrade on Francois? And Liquid Bravery on Wong too?

I've never considered these both a valid choice, still my gremlin experience is made of 6 games so far :huh:

Stilts is crazy good for Francois. It can be used to negate Ml damage and his own Dumb Luck is Ml damage so you always get your money's worth from it. And all in all Francois' biggest problem is his durability and Stilts goes a long way on that front (essentially usually giving him something like 3-6 extra wounds). I think that Stilts is far more important than Dirty Cheater for him (and in fact take DC sorta rarely for Francois but here there was room for it).

As for Liquid Bravery, yeah, I wouldn't take it against all Factions but I consider it near mandatory against Ressers and Neverborn and it's handy against Outcasts as well. The Stubborn is the main attraction (though Wong does have Counterspell which sorta often hinders attacks against his Wp). Wong's (0)Actions, though pretty great, are somewhat situational so he can get traction from dealing out the Wp boost as well. Of course this particular list is very low on Minions so switching Liquid Bravery for On Your Tip Toes against non-Resser/Neverborn/Outcasts could be a good idea.

1 hour ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Stilts is crazy good for Francois. It can be used to negate Ml damage and his own Dumb Luck is Ml damage so you always get your money's worth from it.

Are you sure you can prevent its own dumb luck?

Because upgrade state "Ml Attack action damage". Surely, the trigger comes from an attack action but it's a trigger.

I will definitively try it next time. Usually, I don't worry too much about francois durability because after killing what I need to kill, he may die without big consequences.

15 minutes ago, Blacks85 said:

Because upgrade state "Ml Attack action damage". Surely, the trigger comes from an attack action but it's a trigger.

I will definitively try it next time. Usually, I don't worry too much about francois durability because after killing what I need to kill, he may die without big consequences.

Dumb Luck is Ml Attack Action damage (though that Ml Attack Action originates from Francois himself). I mean, it also comes from a Trigger but that Trigger is part of a Ml Attack Action. This has been discussed on the rules forum a few times and the consensus has always been that Stilts can be used to mitigate Dumb Luck damage.

With Stilts he often ends up killing two big targets (or even three if there's a good source of healing nearby) :D 

11 minutes ago, Blacks85 said:

Yes, that works. The damage is from a Ml attack action.  

5 minutes ago, Blacks85 said:

Well, good to know!

Next time I will equip Francois to last a little bit more before is - usual - sacrifice :D

Thanks

A drawback worth noting is that being Ht 2 makes Lenny unable to toss him around and also means that Ophelia's non-randomization Aura doesn't function when he's in melee (until he abandons the Stilts, naturally).

Wong + Liquid Bravery, Ooo Glowy (7 Pool)

Burt Jebsen + Dirty Cheater

Francois LaCroix + Stilts, Dirty Cheater

Merri LaCroix

Gracie + Saddle

Slop Hauler

I would like to buy the lightning bugs and use them.

Would I drop one or both of the slops for bugs?

4 hours ago, echarlie said:

I would like to buy the lightning bugs and use them.

Would I drop one or both of the slops for bugs?

Depends on the Strategy and Schemes. I would keep at least one Slop Hauler but you could experiment in changing some of the more expensive pieces into two or even three Lightning Bugs.

But I would test that list as is as you'd then get a better idea on what works for you and what doesn't. Though rest assured that all of your current models are quite viable in the right circumstances.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...