Masters and strategy help

Warmus

Hello everyone. I had played my first Malifaux game and it was a complete disaster. I didnt score a single VP in all the game :(.

The strategy was Guard the stash 35 points starters only. I played the kin against Ramos.

I made so many mistakes that I lost count, but beyond that, my opponent tell me at the end of the game that I choose the wrong master for this strategy.

Can you tell me which masters of those I have work best for each strategy.

I have Sommer, Ophelia, Wong, Mah Tucket and The brewmaster.

Thanks

• Like 1

I'm too new to know as well, however, i would say I like the way I'm learning the game better?

instead of starting immediately with the schemes and strategies, we started with just a straight up 20ss bash? so both me and my opponent could learn how to do most of the mechanics, then I played like a 30ish? I think SS game vs another player and we just did similiar but with more models (obviously). Tonight I had like my third game and we just did Line in the Sand.

I played the same crew, pretty much overall, with Somer just so I could get to understand them all, and start figuring out their interactions.

I'm probably slower than most people but you might give it a go, do something simple first then try a bit more then add the Schemes/strategies in.

And yeah check out that site, it's really awesome lot of tactics etc on it!

Good luck!!

9 hours ago, Warmus said:

Hello everyone. I had played my first Malifaux game and it was a complete disaster. I didnt score a single VP in all the game :(.

The strategy was Guard the stash 35 points starters only. I played the kin against Ramos.

I made so many mistakes that I lost count, but beyond that, my opponent tell me at the end of the game that I choose the wrong master for this strategy.

Thanks

Of those masters and that strategy, likely Som'er summoning spam is the best approach.  Having said that, the Kin can do well at really anything assuming you don't get hilariously out-activated.  (So, if he brings Ramos)

Personally, bringing a spammy summoner to a small game is dirty pool.  Fight fire with fire and Run Som'er and the bayou horde.

If you want to make him cry a bit, You can either run Wong and try to blow up the spider horde, or else Ophelia with Lenny and collect Ramos' head.

11 hours ago, Warmus said:

Thanks

Every master can do all the strategies so I would recommend that you pick one or two masters and play only them for a while. That will let you learn the abilities of the models and concentrate on learning the game. 

• Like 1

I don't think there is a wrong master for any of the Strategies. 

Crew wise you will want to have some durable models to contest each stash marker each turn. Ophelia and the rest of the kin should have been able to do the mission fine. She has a good versitility of attack actions, able to kill single models or hurt large groups together. She can also move her crew about to get them into the right place as required. 

Ramos in small games is crazy good since his summoning is so resource-efficient. His starter box is also one of the best in the game (though Ophelia's is really good as well). But really, the game is balanced for 50SS. Summoners are really powerful in smaller games while buff Masters suffer, in general.

• Like 1

Thanks you all.

I check pull my finger, there is a lot of information there. I guess I’ll try to start with some basic crews before I get into the extras.

Tomorrow Im going to play my second match. 50ss this time. The player is mainly Outcast but have some ressers and ten thunders.

So now, the question is this. I dont have the slop haulers yet. If I play a summoning sommer with only the quality marsh liquor as healing source could it work?

I’ll play this masters depending on the strategy

Collect the bounty - Ophelia or Wong

Extraction - Sommer

Guard the stash - Sommer or Brewmaster

Head hunter - Ophelia or Mah

Interference - Sommer

I’ll tell you later how it went

Try using the Lightening bugs you got with Wong in the healing role, using the Skeetars to give the correct suit for their healing trigger if needed. 

Its probably slightly harder to control than the Slop haulers, but should help heal up for the summoning engine. 

If your only healing is quality mash liqour, then you can summon, but you won't want to summon lots. 

For general advice, most masters can do most strategies at least decently and when you're new it might be a better idea to focus on just learning the nuances of one. Of course, up to you.

For advice about healing/summoning with Som'er, I probably wouldn't bother taking Quality Mash Liquor on him. However if you did want healing, as mentioned the Lightning Bugs can do that - it's a little complicated, but you're likely to have a mask aura with Som'er's Do I Like Dis because he needs masks for sunmoning anyway - you simply attack a couple of friendlies, declare the Yippee trigger, and your models get healed in a pulse. Add Lenny to reduce damage taken, and if models are still hurt, you can use their (0) action with rams to heal 1 more damage at the end of the turn.

A much simpler but probably less effective way is to use Fingers - he has the same action from Quality Mash Liquor built into his card. That way you're not using your master's AP but you can still heal. He's probably too expensive to use as just a healbot, but he is excellent at marker schemes, denying your opponent's schemes and also never ever dying.

But you don't even need healing to make use of Som'er's summon - you can use it as a way to multiply AP and cards: a Bayou Gremlin activates, maybe uses drunk and reckless or dumb luck during its activation so it now is on 1 or 2 wounds, then Som'er summons a new Gremlin off it, which kills the first, but you draw two cards and have an unactivated (albeit slow) Bayou Gremlin for 1 extra AP (or two if it's near Lenny - drunk and reckless damage is reduced by Lenny's aura). Plus if you need some melee firepower, instead of summoning more Bayou Gremlins, Som'er can kill them with his pig sticker and a crow to summon a piglet on full health (and again he draws two cards).

• Like 2

Thanks Adran I read the cards many times but I fail to see that combination. I will try it.

Also thanks Dogmantra I’ll start playing Somer then to get used to his synergies before I jump into others masters. I need to play more often to get used to the game in general.

Bad new is that tomorrow game has been postponed to next week, but I will took that time prepare myself just focusing on this master

There are a lot of little tricks to a lot of the cards that you often don't see until you've used them alot. 

My Advice is to try and make use of similar models whilst you are learning the game, as it means you have less to worry about (So even having multiple Bayou gremlins for example, once you're happy with what you can trust a bayou gremlin to do in a turn, you are going to be comfortable with several of your crew members). 

And before each turn (or possibly each activation) ask yourself how you are going to score points this turn (or deny the enemy). Then try and implement it. 

Killing your opponents models often doesn't score you anything. Don't let it distract you too much from your aim, you can win games without killing a single enemy model, even if all of yours get wiped out during the game.  (That's an extreme answer, and you'll not often manage that, but killing one model instead of earning points by doing something else is a good way to never score points)

• Like 1

This is by no means an absolute (or in any particular order), because crew choice is also important, but my general thought process would be (Note: Pigapult crew = Lenny, Slop Hauler, Pigapult):

STRATEGIES

Collect The Bounty - Ophelia, Wong, Ulix, Somer, Mah.

Extraction - Zoraida, Brewmaster, Ulix.

Guard The Stash - Ulix, Somer, Brewmaster, Zoraida.

Headhunter - Ulix, Somer. 

Interference - Zoraida or any other master (except Brewmaster) that also takes the Pigapult Crew.

SCHEMES

A Quick Murder - Ophelia, Wong, Mah.

Catch and Release - Ulix.

Convict Labor - Zoraida, Brewmaster, Ulix.

Covert Breakthrough - Zoraida, Ulix, or Pigapult crew.

Detonate The Charges - Ulix, Wong, Zoraida, Brewmaster.

Exhaust Their Forces - Ulix, Somer.

Frame For Murder - Any.

Hunting Party - Ophelia, Wong, Mah.

Inspection - Zoraida, Brewmaster.

Leave Your Mark - Zoraida, Ulix, Pigapult crew.

Mark for Death - Ulix, Somer.

Neutralize The Leader - Ophelia, Wong, Mah.

Occupy Their Turf - Ulix, Somer, Zoraida.

Public Demonstration - Wong, Zoraida, Mah.

Search The Ruins - Zoraida, Brewmaster. 

Set Up - Ulix, Somer. 

Show of Force - Any.

Take Prisoner - Zoraida, Brewmaster.

Undercover Entourage - Zoraida, Brewmaster, Ulix, Mah.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, D6Damager said:

Extraction - Zoraida, Brewmaster, Ulix.

Guard The Stash - Ulix, Somer, Brewmaster, Zoraida.

Headhunter - Ulix, Somer. 

I would add Mah for Guard the Stash and Extraction. Her Pushes are incredibly versatile in those Strats. 

Try Zoraida sometime for Headhunter - I think that she is our premiere choice for that Strat, actually. She has focused killing power through the Doll and Obey is of course and incredibly powerful tool in HH. Fingers is also really good in HH (those two Auras make quite the double whammy).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Try Zoraida sometime for Headhunter - I think that she is our premiere choice for that Strat, actually. She has focused killing power through the Doll and Obey is of course and incredibly powerful tool in HH. Fingers is also really good in HH (those two Auras make quite the double whammy).

4 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

Totally agree about Zoraida in headhunter, sure she personally can't kill anything but Obey is such a powerful tool to move your own models towards heads and enemies away from them.

I see your points about Zoraida/obey. My first preference would be to reach for Ulix summoning for the warpigs killing power, heals, and 0 interact piglets to pick up heads with corn husks/Old Major. Will have to try Zoraida.

36 minutes ago, D6Damager said:

I see your points about Zoraida/obey. My first preference would be to reach for Ulix summoning for the warpigs killing power, heals, and 0 interact piglets to pick up heads with corn husks/Old Major. Will have to try Zoraida.

Certainly a great option as well. I prefer Zoraida mostly because of her ability to exert control over the enemy as well but those (0)Interacts sure are tasty, no denying that.

I do like your list idea, this is my go at it, picking masters in order of preference and then a top master for each scheme. Generally I'll pick whichever master in the strategy set that has the best schemes. I don't play Ophelia, and I put the old strats in too because I still like to play them.

STRATEGIES

Turf War - Zoraida > Som'er > Ulix > Mah

Reckoning - Wong > Ulix > Mah > Som'er

Reconnoiter - Som'er

Squatter's Rights - Som'er > Zoraida

Stake a Claim - Som'er > Zoraida > Ulix (lightning bugs & slop haulers are more important than master in this)

Collect The Bounty - Wong > Som'er > Ulix

Extraction - Zoraida > Som'er > Ulix

Guard The Stash - Som'er > Zoraida > Ulix

Headhunter - Zoraida > Som'er

Interference - Som'er

SCHEMES

A Quick Murder - Mah

Catch and Release - Piglets, so Ulix or Som'er

Convict Labor - nope

Covert Breakthrough - Master independent with Merris

Detonate The Charges - Master independent with Merris

Exhaust Their Forces - Piglets, so Ulix or Som'er

Frame For Murder - Som'er

Hunting Party - Wong (or Som'er with Burt + Francois)

Inspection - nope

Leave Your Mark - Master independent with Merris

Mark for Death - Som'er

Neutralize The Leader - Som'er or Mah

Occupy Their Turf - Som'er

Public Demonstration - Som'er (with pigapult + 3 lightning bugs)

Search The Ruins - ???

Set Up - nope

Show of Force - Zoraida

Take Prisoner - nah

Undercover Entourage - Zoraida (with Sammy)

• Like 1