Tengu models

Bumpasses

Undecided on the Tengu as yet... I'll wait till I see Gmorts unboxing. 

What don't you like about them?  I really don't like the front one (he looks like he's doing the Chicken Dance, oh the irony!)  but I think the other two look good.

Which Bushido models are you using?  Looking at all the tengu Descension models, they all long super-warrior like to me (see picture below).  Although I do like the one in the starter pack, second from the left with the birds.  Him and Tarabo would look good.  A little expensive though, & they'd need to lose the bows.

GCT Studios Bushido Tengu Descension starter pack

Edited by Da O&F Git

I use the corvus harriers now, but I'm eager to switch to the Wyrd plastics. They don't have wings, which seems like a mistake, but they look cool enough. I might just try adding the harrier wings onto them, though.

The Bushido models look boss (as most Bushido models do), but they're too expensive and too, perhaps, powerful looking for a 4ss scheme runner.

Edited by tomjoad

Wait, they don't have wings? :D How did I think they had wings? :D 

Probably all the feathers and the too-close view on the cards/Crossroads book entry. And the Flight rule  :P

They sort of look like Muppet Baby Skeksis from The Dark Crystal to me. I'll still happily use them, but definitely got more of an impression of the other models from other ranges posted here.

I'm actually really interested to see what the talented painters here can do with the well-modelled feathers on Beach Jerk and Macy!

• Like 1

I was very excited to see the Tengu but I am also maybe a little dissapointed in them. I was hoping for a sleeker and more bird like model as you would see in L5R for instance. These are just a bit too monstrous where I wanted fast and mysterious looking. 

That said I will wait til I see the models (or Gmorts unboxing) to decide if I will pick them up or not. The one in the robe with sleeves doesn't look too bad so far!

Wow.  I am shocked at how many people aren't pleased with the pre-release render showing of the Tengus.  I found that and was extremely happy to see them!

I also wouldn't suspect that Tengus require wings to fly.. I would associate it more with the mystical/martial art MAGIC, they do.  I mean, the Last Blossoms with Smoke & Shadows who Shadow Step aren't literally stepping into shadows to teleport (Maybe not literally), it's just.. a thing they do, it evokes the feel of "Oh shit they're everywhere!" even if there are few of them.  Likewise the Tengu could have any manner of crazy martial arts technique they use to..*VOOP* teleport up/over terrain, rather than literally fly.  Or maybe they literally fly, Hell I don't know!

I just love their wicked looking beaks.  And really, when we're talking about Tengus, the defining feature is often reduced to their beaks, rather than being like, literal birds (Often enough).  Although I am certainly glad Wyrd didn't reduce them to the long-nosed humans that Tengus have been taken as far as in culture, that would have been awful.

Although I will say I do like the Hell Dorado minis (And I love Soda Pop, who picked up the franchise!), so that is a great reason to go into those.  Although I held off because I figured those models would be.. larger looking, and I imagined the Wyrd Tengu as being fairly deminuative (Mostly due to 4ss cost, and rather lacking ability besides movement).  It's nice to see a comparison of their size for once.  Although I was more interested in the "Vorenus" model, I didn't particularly like the Harriers as the Tengu for my 10T.  Granted all the models in that line are fairly stunning.  Never really looked into Bushido though, I haven't been too impressed with most of their things.

Not really a fan of the wings or bodies on the Hell Dorado ones.  The Wings are too mechanical & the bodies too human.  The heads look awesome though!

Thinking about adding my own wings to the Tengu models, maybe Dark Eldar Harpy wings (other suggestions?).  Still, just really need to see the models in the flesh (or on Gmorts!).  It also depends on the size, if they're small (about ht 1 size), then I think this render will be great with no additional conversions, it's if they look normal ht 2 size, that I think they'll look bad.

All the other Tengu look too Samurai & the Kensai ones look too scrawny for my tastes.  Any others?

Edited by Da O&F Git

I think the Mystic and Macy Tengus will work pretty well as interesting characters for other game systems, depending of course upon how tall the models turn out.

I wonder if the skulls on Beach Jerk's belt are scaled to other Wyrd humans? If so, then I guess they'll be about a (human) head shorter than a regular human. Pretty stocky though!

I think the Mystic and Macy Tengus will work pretty well as interesting characters for other game systems, depending of course upon how tall the models turn out.

I wonder if the skulls on Beach Jerk's belt are scaled to other Wyrd humans? If so, then I guess they'll be about a (human) head shorter than a regular human. Pretty stocky though!

What are the Mystic and Macy Tengus?  Also who is Beach Jerk (sounds like a swell guy!)?

Wyrd actually is going to be making a fantastic Tengu model...  it's just not called a tengu...

http://www.gamewire.belloflostsouls.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/carrionemissary.jpg

I am in love with that art. Definitely cool looking, though not right for the 10T Tengu obviously.

What are the Mystic and Macy Tengus?  Also who is Beach Jerk (sounds like a swell guy!)?

The three Tengu from the digital sculpt previews. Mystic is the robed one (that I like most), Macy took me a second but he literally means the one holding the mace. Beach Jerk is the one in front that looks like it is bowing up to show off it's muscles. It is the sculpt I dislike most of the 3 and the name immediately made sense to me. 

I am letting the Wyrd Tengu grow on me over time since I won't use proxies, it just was initially shocking that their looks don't match their role very well. 

• Like 2