Reinventing the wheel- unpopular opinions/combos thread

4thstringer

What combos or lists do you like to use in guild which makes you different in your Guild crews?   I'm looking to break free from my current listbuilding ennui and stagnation.

One that I heard on a podcast (don't remember which one) is running more than one guardian with hoffman.  It seems crazy to me, but I think I will have to try to get a second to give it a try.

Do they have to be successful? Are you thinking of a particular master?

I have several times tried to play Lucius using exclusively non-construct guardsmen. I rarely see that kind of theme list discussed here.

The "everyone has finish the job" can also be fun!

I mostly play achievement games in leagues arranged by the local henchman so things like not killing a single enemy model or killing 2-3 models with a single attack or having the entire enemy crew paralyzed etc. are frequently goals in our games. He also tries to have crew composition achievements and stuff like choosing schemes at random after crew selection or letting your enemy pick your schemes. Playing a borrowed crew was also an achievement. We switch goals every four weeks. Keeps the game interesting and makes you build very different lists and think outside the box!

All guardsmen Lucius list is quite viable and not even all that outside the box, I think.

Guild Crew - 50 - Scrap

Lucius -- 4 Pool

+Legalese [1]

+Secret Assets [2]

Captain Dashel [9]

Clockwork Trap [2]

Clockwork Trap [2]

Guard Sergeant [6]

Guild Austringer [6]

Guild Austringer [6]

Guild Pathfinder [6]

Guild Rifleman [5]

Guild Rifleman [5]

It could be something like that if you allow traps. This would be pretty good for Squatter's Rights.

I subscribe to a theory of playing Malifaux christened #wtfaux - I'm not going to be able to defeat top players by playing their game, so along with a couple of equally deranged friends of mine we look for odd combos that work.

Double Guardians was mine, and it was probably me on Schemes & Stones you heard it. 1 Guardian can be focussed on and junked. 2 skews the maths that bit more, and it's a lot harder to get rid of one when its friend is standing next to it, healing it up. The only time I've fielded 2 Guardians and lost either was Resser McMourning managing to Red Joker damage both in successive turns.

Another one is Governor's Proxy & Ama No Zako. Use Ama's 0 Obey to compel an expensive enemy model to kill the Proxy. As you're still controlling the enemy model when it has to take the resultant Wp duel or be killed by the Governor, you cheat down to fail and grin. I've gotten rid of Bishop, Nekima and Gracie so far doing that. When your opponent is running expensive models away from the Governor's Proxy, you've won.

Hannah with Samael Hopkins (with his Burn Them Out upgrade) is an expensive but hilarious combination. Hannah can light up enemy models using Burn Them Out for her 0, for Hopkins to Rapid Fire into. Or Hopkins can use it as well - stacking Burning 8 or 12 on a model will kill most things! Obvious synergies with Sonnia too.

Or how about McCabe and McTavish, or Big Mac as Mr Henry calls it? McTavish is an awesome Henchman if slow. Funnily enough, McCabe can help him with that. Always Significant Hounds can leave a trail of Scheme markers for McTavish to push up to with Gator Snack as well, boosting his movement even further and potentially triggering free actions.

I got many, many more - any particular Masters you're thinking of?

• Like 7

@ Myyrä: Nice list, I'll have to try that. I guess you don't really make new friends with it?

@ PanzerHarris: Great ideas! As for stacking burning you can also try the Doppleganger (Lucius specific of course) with Sam to get to 12 burning without Sam activating. Not sure if that trick is considered novel, the doppleganger + whatever seems like staple Lucius.

@ Myyrä: Nice list, I'll have to try that. I guess you don't really make new friends with it?

Myyrä in a nutshell. :D

@ PanzerHarris: Great ideas! As for stacking burning you can also try the Doppleganger (Lucius specific of course) with Sam to get to 12 burning without Sam activating. Not sure if that trick is considered novel, the doppleganger + whatever seems like staple Lucius.

It's my favorite Lucius list at the moment.

All guardsmen Lucius list is quite viable and not even all that outside the box, I think.

Guild Crew - 50 - Scrap

Lucius -- 4 Pool

+Legalese [1]

+Secret Assets [2]

Captain Dashel [9]

Clockwork Trap [2]

Clockwork Trap [2]

Guard Sergeant [6]

Guild Austringer [6]

Guild Austringer [6]

Guild Pathfinder [6]

Guild Rifleman [5]

Guild Rifleman [5]

It could be something like that if you allow traps. This would be pretty good for Squatter's Rights.

Traps for Pathfinder or for Devil`s Deal? I`d swap one Trap for Scribe. He has a better ratio of SS spent/SS gained for Devils Deal :D. Also Lucius with Df 7 is not bad either.

Another one is Governor's Proxy & Ama No Zako. Use Ama's 0 Obey to compel an expensive enemy model to kill the Proxy. As you're still controlling the enemy model when it has to take the resultant Wp duel or be killed by the Governor, you cheat down to fail and grin. I've gotten rid of Bishop, Nekima and Gracie so far doing that. When your opponent is running expensive models away from the Governor's Proxy, you've won.

This is disgusting, I bloody love it!  Guessing it would be a nasty one to use with Perdita as well!

Going to listen to Hoffman schemes and stones later, hope you got some interesting stuff to say :D

This is disgusting, I bloody love it!  Guessing it would be a nasty one to use with Perdita as well!

Leaving the Neph at home to kill a model like Nekima with Obey? Possible, but she can usually achieve that by easier if less stylish methods.

OK, will try and work through the list! 

Lady J - obvious one is Francisco with Hermanos activating, giving her El Major for Df7 / Wp9, walking then pulling her up 5", Judge then double-walking and pulling her up again with Stand for Judgment. That's the best blender in Malifaux, 16" up the table table 1 in Standard deployment, with a 14" threat range and not having activated, and two of the finest Henchmen in the game ready to go in as a second wave. What's that about turn 3 being crucial? By then it's far too late...

Using the Clockwork Traps / Austringers trick is particularly useful for Justice. She likes having the enemy funnelled by Traps, extra pushes from the Austringers or a falcon taking the last wound or two from a target she's nearly killed. She also doesn't tend to like having her hitters forced to drop markers.

Doppelganger / Hopkins / Hannah burning them out - nice idea, but far too many stones tied up in models that Lucius can't do anything with. He's starting to click for me now and my crews for him include 1 Enforcer / Henchman, 2 as an absolute maximum. He's a force multiplier Master - don't fall into the trap of taking things he can't multiply! 

Perdita should always take Enslaved Nephilim. Yes, she can use Obey for the Proxy trick, but that's very situational. Enslaved Nephilim is not - the freedom of moment that little purple git gives you is worth its weight in gold. 

Governor's Proxy - I only take him with Lucius. There's usually a Freikorps Trapper or two along with a Guild Pathfinder set up just outside my deployment zone - once Lucius gets to them (and it normally only takes him 1 turn to do it) he doesn't tend to move around a whole lot. That makes the Proxy's rubbish move less of an issue, and he can settle in to spend his activations healing things that I'm hitting for Devil's Deal soulstones. He pays for himself pretty much every game. If not, that's usually because Ama No Zako is also on the table so I'm up to something else!

I may or may not have painted up my Proxy (purchased from zFiend in a trade, ironically enough!) with the words SUCK IT INTERNET across his book...

• Like 1