You Have Got To Be Kidding Me

I think people underestimate how scary a "Miniature Wargaming Tycoon" game would be.  "You've got X models for this release that need to get through concept art, sculpting, revisions, production and distribution; but only enough money to do Y% of them at a time.  Naturally, your customers want all of them at once."    :o

"An angry forum post appears!"

I like Wyrd as a company, the only other mini-game company I have a modicum of respect for is CB but they have intermittent communication and wonky rules FAQs at times. They also CB seem to be pandering to the Yanks with USAriadna I'm wondering if they've jumped the shark...

Disclaimer: I'm a Yank who's gotten into USAriadna from Haqq, with the box on preorder.

I think it's a little disingenuous to call it "pandering" when US forces have been described as part of the Ariadna union for a while, and the Russian/French/Scottish components have been well-filled out for a while now. The whole July 4th thing is really more clever marketing than anything else.

• Like 3

I think people underestimate how scary a "Miniature Wargaming Tycoon" game would be.  "You've got X models for this release that need to get through concept art, sculpting, revisions, production and distribution; but only enough money to do Y% of them at a time.  Naturally, your customers want all of them at once."    :o

A mini-manufacturing game! Brilliant! A player will dread the card that reads: "your consumer base feel entitled, immediately reveal all your face down cards to all players". or: "NERD-RAGE!1!: During a pre-release teaser on your homepage you accidentally reveal rules still being playtested, the internet takes this a sign of the apocalypse. Sit out the next game round while you placate your fanbase."

• Like 1

TBH I kinda quite when MK2 came out

It fealt a lot dumbed down, now they're starting to catch up on releases my group wants to give it a 2nd go

We all have lots of mods and it's not the worst

But yeh seeing still MORE to be released....it does kinda suck.

I'm still not a fan and I doubt I'll ever get as into it. Things like Jack Daws wall of text rules cards are unlikely, and I liked that, over all I don't like the direction the gremlins change of look

I'm browsing the forum hoping something will light up, but so far I feel vidicated in not bothering with the game for over a year

I'm browsing the forum hoping something will light up, but so far I feel vidicated in not bothering with the game for over a year

I was almost right there with you.

I raged like a madman and said some pretty nasty things....honestly I was expecting to get banned. I felt the same...that it was dumbed down and that everything was becoming much more vanilla. Browsing the forums isn't going to do it for you. You've got to put those negative feelings out of your head and forget last edition. Look at M2E as if you're playing a brand new game. That's what I needed to do. 

Give it an honest chance and you may change your mind. It's not dumbed down. The only thing that was really lost was those 'wall of texts' that honestly caused more trouble with rules than they were worth. The game is much cleaner than it was. It's still very challenging to truly master it. The resource management is incredibly intensive. Give it that chance for a few real games....full 50ss games. It may happen that this still isn't the game for you...and that's okay...it's not for everyone. But honestly I believe that if you liked 1st edition you should like M2E......the core mechanics are virtually the same.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 4

I raged like a madman and said some pretty nasty things....honestly I was expecting to get banned. I felt the same...that it was dumbed down and that everything was becoming much more vanilla. Browsing the forums isn't going to do it for you. You've got to put those negative feelings out of your head and forget last edition. Look at M2E as if you're playing a brand new game. That's what I needed to do.

Give it an honest chance and you may change your mind. It's not dumbed down. The only thing that was really lost was those 'wall of texts' that honestly caused more trouble with rules than they were worth. The game is much cleaner than it was. It's still very challenging to truly master it. The resource management is incredibly intensive. Give it that chance for a few real games....full 50ss games. It may happen that this still isn't the game for you...and that's okay...it's not for everyone. But honestly I believe that if you liked 1st edition you should like M2E......the core mechanics are virtually the same.

Same could probably be said about Age of Sigmar... but... that shit ain't happening. ;)

I look at AoS as a convenient, if forced, way of finally severing my ties with that god awful company. They killed Fantasy, that kills my interest. I was only a real faction in that game half the time anyway (and a hauty tauty FW faction once 8th hit ;) ).

I can see why 1st->2nd edition severed other people's ties with Malifaux. Edition changes can be ugly.

EDIT: Then again, if he was refering to the release schedule shenanigans as being the reason for not bothering, I guess that makes all of this irrelevant. :D

Yeah, I'll be honest - I found 1.5 to be very intimidating. This edition just neatens up the rules so they're easier to read - which I must confess I did not find 1.5 to be at all. 

Al.

• Like 1

Same could probably be said about Age of Sigmar... but... that shit ain't happening. ;)

Not really even close to the same. AoS changed the entire game. M2E did not.

Let's be honest...this game is still freaking really hard to be good at. There is so much going on, so much to think about, so many rules to know, stats to know, resources to juggle. All of that is still pretty similar to 1.5....but M2E did clean a lot of that up and stream-lined many things making entry into the game much easier. Trying to get people in with 1.5 was a nightmare....1 or 2 trial games was enough to blow most people right out....they would look at the model cards and their eyes would just glaze over and eventually just roll back in their heads...they didn't even have time to really understand the game....goodbye. But now, those guys will play half a dozen games and really get the feel of the game....at that point they may decide that the game isn't for them, but you have a much better shot.

• Like 2

It's often best to remember that individual complexity does not always or often translate well into interactive complexities.  The opposite is often true.  A ton of abilities often turn into little solo games that exclude your opponent and lead to one sided play, where well designed interactive complexity leads to more interesting decisions and better opportunity for counterplay.  Some degree of individual complexity is absolutely needed, but it's not always a good way to judge a game's overall complexity.

• Like 3