zGuild's Purposeful Misinterpretations: The Lucius Journey.

zFiend

PR and LITS,

3 rifleman and Dashel gives you a good kill zone and kill ability and 5 activations for 24 stones. Season to opposition.

Add 1 pathfinder, 2 traps, and 2 stringers.

Put the traps up for LITS, a Pathfinder to move and/or summon more traps, and the stringers to make the traps drop schemes. Use dashel and his buds to hold the area you need too based on terrain, and keep the traps in sight of those rifleman to start with.

• Like 2

Hey dude, managed to get the Peacekeeper built when I got back from my gig last night so here's a picture:

20150808_090515_zpse80udbh6.jpg

I feel like it could be a little bigger but I really like the model.  No real problems building it although I did attach one of it's 'fingers' to it's foot because it was on the sprue next to the rest of the leg (with the two fingers next to each other actually a finger and toe!)

• Like 1

PR and LITS,

3 rifleman and Dashel gives you a good kill zone and kill ability and 5 activations for 24 stones. Season to opposition.

In our first game I ran Ironsides to tie up the fire base. In our second game it was Candy and a Waldgeist. Since the Riflemen needs to be close to Dashel and since terrain also limits optimal placements, they tend to end up in a clump and the problem is that there is no danger for running into the middle of them. They hit like wet noodles in melee and have awful defensive stats. Ryle helped in that he is a very credible melee threat but he can be neutered in various ways and only has two attacks. Death Marshalls are another possibility due to their coffins but they are a bit squishy.

I feel like it could be a little bigger but I really like the model.  No real problems building it although I did attach one of it's 'fingers' to it's foot because it was on the sprue next to the rest of the leg (with the two fingers next to each other actually a finger and toe!)

He-hey - it looks very nice actually! The pic from Gencon really didn't do it justice.

Riflemen do -not- have to be close to dashel to be effective, they are boosed by being close to dashel, and this is where people fall down. They concentrate to much on the "optimal" rather than the effective. Rifleman can actually spread out to a fairly wide degree if you look at them. Dashel has a 6" bubble of free focus, and riflemen get their bonus if they are 4" from an activated guardsman. This gives them an almost 12" spread to work with, and if someone charges one element of that line up, you can shoot them by just reducing your focus condition by one without costing an AP.  Put an annoying pathfinder in front, and giggle when people charge it and you shoot them for 2 damage 3 times.

Quite simply, if Zfeind put all his guild guard together in a blob, and you managed to stop them from being effective by getting into engagement range with 2 or more of them, he screwed the pooch, and that's a tactical failure, not a model failure.

• Like 2

Putting three riflemen in a list is investing a lot of points into ranged damaged with no added benefits. They can get tied up very easily by any models with average speed. I would consider taking only two if that. Have you considered two pathfinders and no riflemen? They have ranged damage, the guardsman characteristic for buffs, as well as other benefits like from the shadows and a passable melee attack. A terror tot can easily run up and waste a rifleman, but not so much a pathfinder. Additonally, the number of resources in having a firing squad all game doesn't usually accomplish schemes and strategies. It may have been a possibility for Reckoning, but I am sure to an opponent those look like juicy targets for them to pick out. Whether or not they were fairly spaced out they go down in just a couple of hits.

I usually use only two Riflemen. But I did want to experiment with 3 of them without Dashel. It didn't work out. :D so from now I think max 2 is the magic number. Also I have 7 more weeks with Lucius so I have time to dick around.

I will try double pathfinders at some point and just one rifleman as well.

What henchmen do you use? Guild has pretty solid henchmen which I feel a shame not to use.

What henchmen do you use? Guild has pretty solid henchmen which I feel a shame not to use.

Well going on your previous game:

Reckoning

Alits

Assassinate

Bodyguard

Power Ritual

Vendetta

I tend to play low model count for Reckoning to make it harder for the opponent to score points on the strategy.The Judge, Francisco, Samael, and Sidir are all viable options in this scenario depending on what you want to do. I haven't used Dashel enough to feel confident in giving my opinion on him in this scenario and I haven't used Ryle at all (Although I just got him the other day so I am sure that will change). You could take two of them and for Reckoning I usually do for damage output and defensive capabilities. Depending on what schemes you take you could have any of them work on Reckoning points and Assassinate. While Samael can do a lot of damage output even in melee you usually don't want him tied up so you could use The Judge or Fransico to pull him out of trouble when the time comes. You could trick your opponent into thinking your taking A Line in the Sand by using Lucius' abilities or you could throw in an austringer and combine them to get A Line in the Sand in the last couple of turns. Don't know what you own or what the rest of your list would look like, but in my opinion I would not consider Power Ritual in this case because you usually need a scheme runner which are usually soft targets (looking at you guild hounds), which can be a real gamble not knowing what your opponent puts down.

• Like 1

Riflemen do -not- have to be close to dashel to be effective, they are boosed by being close to dashel, and this is where people fall down. They concentrate to much on the "optimal" rather than the effective. Rifleman can actually spread out to a fairly wide degree if you look at them. Dashel has a 6" bubble of free focus, and riflemen get their bonus if they are 4" from an activated guardsman. This gives them an almost 12" spread to work with, and if someone charges one element of that line up, you can shoot them by just reducing your focus condition by one without costing an AP.  Put an annoying pathfinder in front, and giggle when people charge it and you shoot them for 2 damage 3 times.

Yeah, that's how it goes in theory. But on tables with terrain you can't spread out that well if you wish them to have LOS to one another as well as useful firing lines. At least not on our tables. Also, I didn't charge in - I walked to tie them up and then kill at my leasure.
  • Like 2

Actually, what I might argue is the notion that you need LOS blocking terrain everywhere on the board. If that's what you are using all the time, I would say half the board should -also- suffer from half move terrain as well to gum up the works of melee focussed crews.

IF you consider range as being unfair, is it not also unfair to allow melee models free reign on the table as well?

• Like 1

it has finger sprues????

For the love of all that is unholy :(

Yeah, not all of them though.  Think it was one separate toe and maybe 3-4 separate fingers.

Hm.. So it is quite small (what she said). But that does look pretty good actually. How many pieces was it? How was it to assemble?

It was fine.  Apart from the aforementioned fingers it went together really easily as everything slots in perfectly.  One thing though is to glue the armour plates on the top of the torso on before glueing the side panels (there's two central bits that make the torso then two sides that bulk it out).

Then you played smart Math, and I can't argue against smart playing of a game.

Kudos to you. :)

Well the problem is that it's not as much smart playing (no offence Math, you know I don't mean it as it sounds) but the fact that you can just do that. Just walk in and voila that was it. Which is a glaring problem in my lists that I am trying to fix and find a solution for. Which is why I am asking all you and you have given me good ideas to try out! :) 

it went together really easily as everything slots in perfectly.

Phrasing / What she said. 

• Like 2

I've used Dashel and Lucius to get my minions out of trouble plenty of times - Dashel does have a weak 3 (4 with a card or stone, 5 with both) attack at Ml 6 which is in line with most of our Henchmen and in my experience better than the Judge (I can guarantee one big hit, cascading attack triggers are tricky). Lucius I talked about in my last post.

Side note; I really want to try out Dr. Grimwell and Abuela in a Lucius list; Granny gets the Doctor to focus, Lucius gives him an effective 19" threat range with his (2) action (10" plus Lucius' base and the scheme marker for Lackeys, plus his ml range and Nimble action). With Ml 7 that should guarantee one dead model...

I've used Dashel and Lucius to get my minions out of trouble plenty of times - Dashel does have a weak 3 (4 with a card or stone, 5 with both) attack at Ml 6 which is in line with most of our Henchmen and in my experience better than the Judge (I can guarantee one big hit, cascading attack triggers are tricky). Lucius I talked about in my last post.

Judge has critical strike too though.