zGuild's Purposeful Misinterpretations: The Lucius Journey.

zFiend

As it happens, my beloved Rezzers lost the scuffle against Guild and that has lead me here. To play Guild for 2 months and report on my games and thoughts. I got to choose a master freely that I wouldn't yet have from the Guild faction as per by the rules of the scuffle by me and Dirial and I chose Lucius. 

Now the situation at the moment is that I am awaiting for the rest of my crew and bases to arrive so I can start painting and playing with the bureaucratic machine that is Lucius. So here we go. First step towards wearing the Badge:

That's it for now. :)

• Like 7

Unfortunately my bases didn't arrive this week as I had hoped. I did find 2 bases though that match my Guild bases so I can start working on 2 models from the box. As the Guards will be made into Latigo Pistoleros those aren't all that high on the list to paint. What I am thinking of painting is the Scribe for starters. 

Still thinking about painting the Lawyers. As I have a metal one painted and don't see myself ever using more than one. When would you use another one actually? 

As for the box itself, I think Lucius and the Lawyer with the book are among the topnotch absolutely brilliant models of the whole plastic line. They are just superb. Dashel and the Riddler looking lawyer are really nice models as well. Scribe is quite okay, not the best out there but nothing wrong with it. The Guards, well they make damn fine Pistoleros. So it's a good box all in all. It has some very fiddly parts and a few tough ones to assemble I reckon, but for me it all went together really well with no problems whatsoever. So that's always a good thing. 

All in all, Bound By Law is an awesome box set. :)

• Like 1

Loving this! Welcome to the right side! We have cookies! ... You just need to fill out this form...

If you are in possession of cookies I hope you have filled out form 159/d "possession of Guild assets / cookie trap" if not I'm afraid I'm going to have confiscate those cookies.

Clearly some underling has been purposely delaying the delivery of my paperwork.

If you wish to file a complaint I'm going to have to ask you to take this form "Target Practice authorization: solved." to the Riflemen barracks. Everything will be ready and waiting for you and your feedback sir. I have personally made sure of it.

*does what he is told*

Now that the Neverborn is gone and lost in the system I can get a bit back on topic.

I've played two games with a borrowed Lucius crew and had a great mentor on how Lucius can be played and what models to look after etc. All cool tricks and tips.

I have to say I absolutely loved Lucius. Didn't win either of those games but Lucius makes the game super fun nonetheless. So I am really looking forward to playing Lucius.

Whose crew I borrowed you ask? Well none other than the Guild's high roller and star player, Myyrä. Who actually even got me a Guild Sergeant to go with the Journey.

One thing I learned. Protect the Riflemen. Don't let Langston in the middle of your crew. That makes a sad Lucius.

• Like 2

Don't let Langston in the middle of your crew. That makes a sad Lucius.

To be fair, who doesn't that make sad?

I had a game last night with Lucius, he does seem really fun, there's a lot you can do with him every turn, and I don't think I attacked with him once. And by attacked with him I mean used his attacks, I did get a buttload of riflemen attacks off him, turns out they hurt at focus +3.

• Like 1

Reading with great interest!

I'm playing all 7 Guild masters at the moment and I have to say Lucius is both my favourite, and the weakest of the lot. Which is why I'm trying extra hard to make him work...

Freikorps Trappers are currently favoured minions. Issue Command with a Ram turns one of Lucius' AP into a 28" double positive shot with positive on damage. That's fun.

Governor's Proxy works well. Use his 1 action heal to heal models Lucius smacks for Soulstones. Dirty trick - use an Obey to make an enemy kill the Proxy, then as you're still controlling the model, make it fail the resultant Wp duel and get killed by the Governor.

Hidden Sniper is more useful for dropping and removing markers than doing damage with Purposeful Strike. Hilarious.

Anyway. Good luck! Every win with Lucius will feel extra special.

• Like 1

Hm. I'm not sure I'd say he is the weakest of the Guild, that crown would probably be safely reserved for Justice. But the rest, well yeah I agree with you on that. He doesn't seem to quite cut it in the presence of Perdita, Sonnia, Hoffman, McCabe and even McMourning. 

I have wondered about Freikorps Trappers, they seem pretty damn solid minions for Lucius. But as I have 2 months to try out different combo's and at the best I might be getting in 2-3 live games a week if all goes perfectly + some vassal I ought to get some games in. 

Who would you use the Obey with in a Lucius crew to do that Proxy trick? Filthy it is indeed. Gave me a good laugh. :D 

Hidden Sniper seems like a really good upgrade really, it costs quite a bit but that last turn Purposeful Strike is just too nice to pass on. Legalese is absolutely brilliant just for the aura tricks alone to play with. Hidden Objectives is something I'd like to try out, not sure if that will pay off and seems weaker of the lot but we shall see. Watch my back seems pretty useless though? As pretty much everything either has Accomplice or Companion already? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Thank you for taking the time to write some thoughts about Lucius! :) I have a few questions for you:

1. Have you used more than one Lawyer? 

2. Have you tried to use Special Training / melee running Lucius? 

One thing I have tried to look into are models that somehow gain :+fate flips as Lucius eats those cards like candy. So I have a lot to trial there, but I feel that is something quite important for Lucius crew, so the hand can be used in Highest Authority and then Horror Duels if needed. Plus Lucius seems like he is seriously resource intensive. What is your experience on that? 

Yes very card dependant i think maybe the ability to regen soulstones and use them for whichever suits he needs can bring him up a level if you can work it correctly. Some people recommend pathfinders making traps for that exact purpose.

I think they make a good target once they've served their purpose. Or if you are in the thick of it and don't want to hurt your own models. True. What do you think of the Pathfinder? I think it's a really solid model, though gives a bit counter synergy in the form of traps and then Riflemen randomizing to them? 

I look forward to seeing what will come out of you applying that filthy mind to Lucius!

I'll just go ahead and inivte myself to the party.

Elite Training has never done much for me. Either my enemy will kill Lucius or he will kill the flimsy minions I have tried using it with. I'm back to the more traditional Peacekeeper approach which works great with Lucius walking up or charging, using lackeys and placing a marker he then uses for Hidden Sniper to get :+fate . I use less and less minions for dealing damage, the ranged ones are so easily avoided by engaging them or just staying engaged with other models. Might be different if I actually had Trappers since they have a very respectable range.

I have never used two lawyers since you mostly walk stuff up turn one when everything can stay close to the one lawyer and then use all of Lucius' actions for Issue Command or hitting stuff later. If you do find yourslef walking around it's usually not that hard to find someone close to the lawyer that could use the action.